ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford dropping wrestling (and other sports)

Jesus. Griffith is obviously the biggest name to lose out, right? Do you leave the education you get from Stanford to wrestle elsewhere?
On HR they think he is dropping the Stanford education for an Iowa degree. On the Mineo Facebook page, they think RU is an Ivy League equivalent. Are we sure Covid affects the lungs? It's looking like it might be affecting brain function too.

dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
I guess the Director's Cup is wide open, if it ever starts back up.

Sad. :(

if i recall correctly, stanford would usually get points in more than maximum of 10 sports per gender so it might be just next program up for them. that said, these sports being cut are ones that had fewer programs to compete against so were likely top 10 or better.

Our sport is in huge danger, when the dust settles we could be left with 20-30 programs as entire conferences left unable to fill a reasonable schedule . My god

Like someone mentioned, it's a slippery slope when the reasoning for sports being cut is because most schools don't offer it anymore.

:(

We seriously have to be due for some good news, right? Any kind of good news.

@Psalm 1 guy:

"Impact on the diversity of our student-athlete population",

So Stanford has quotas. Of course this is taurine excrement, with a major university framing a decision with a putative reason they think is indisputable, especially in the present environment.

Does it bother them that football lacks diversity?

I think the Stanford and Ivy league situation is just the start of the future of college sports situation and the decisions that will be made by school officials and specific conference leadership. Lafayttee was to play Navy September 12 this year and just cancelled game.
What's going to happen when a player test positive and was in locker room the day before his positive test. I would think by the current guidelines the remaining players would need to be tested and isolate for 10-14 days. Doesn't seem possible.
I think our country is at crossroads of what should be done for public health and what needs to be done fiscally for buisness.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
if that increases the likelihood of her playing for PSU, then it could be considered a positive. ;)

That was my first thought when I read Stanford was cutting FH. I keep pushing
if that increases the likelihood of her playing for PSU, then it could be considered a positive. ;)

My thoughts exactly. Even though I keep pushing for College Misericordia, since it's one town over.

I goofed and posted this on the wrong thread (@tikk10 I'll delete it there).

@SetonHallPirate with another good point: the "self-sustaining athletics department" concept requires student athletes to pay tens of thousands of dollars annually to a multi-billion-dollar organization.

Tirapelle nailed it -- and it's common across all schools including PSU. Nor is it unique to athletics.

Early 80s to now PSU has seen a small percentage uptick in the number of students on main campus, yet main campus has experienced a huge increase in building construction and expansion. The number of administrative assistants is probably 100 times greater now versus then.
The outlandish increases in peripheral support costs associated with college athletics is simply an extension of those increased costs across the college world period.

This episode of hidden brain does a good job of explaining administrative bloat in higher learning. If I recall, it’s early in the 45 minute episode. Highly recommend this podcast in general.
I don't know if I want to listen to that -- it might be too depressing.

Mine is not a BS job, but it is overwhelmed by BS due to admin bloat and its resulting absurdities and lack of accountability. For example, yesterday our Supplier Mgmt org asked me (program mgr) to confirm payment to a supplier. Apparently at my company, Supplier Mgmt is not responsible for managing suppliers. And that's just one, very minor example ...

Admin bloat is pervasive across every facet of society, and it's strangling everyone.

Mine is not a BS job, but it is overwhelmed by BS due to admin bloat and its resulting absurdities and lack of accountability. For example, yesterday our Supplier Mgmt org asked me (program mgr) to confirm payment to a supplier. Apparently at my company, Supplier Mgmt is not responsible for managing suppliers. And that's just one, very minor example ...

Admin bloat is pervasive across every facet of society, and it's strangling everyone.
Happening to my company right now. We had about 25-30 FTEs last year. Now we are about 100 and a lot of those people are REMFs to put it bluntly.

Early 80s to now PSU has seen a small percentage uptick in the number of students on main campus, yet main campus has experienced a huge increase in building construction and expansion. The number of administrative assistants is probably 100 times greater now versus then.
The outlandish increases in peripheral support costs associated with college athletics is simply an extension of those increased costs across the college world period.
Much of the academic bldg construction is justifiable. UP had a number of obsolete facilities that were not easily retrofitted with existing technology, let alone then-future capability.

Palacial dorms sadly prove PT Barnum right about suckers.

(Should also note that, for better or worse, PSU capital expenses are heavily subsidized by Harriaburg and industry.)

None of that justifies the admin expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUer1989

Every time my wife's company starts to show less of a profit, they cut a lot of middle management and a lot of non revenue producing roles. You do not see that in academia. I am not sure if all companies do that, but her does.

This episode of hidden brain does a good job of explaining administrative bloat in higher learning. If I recall, it’s early in the 45 minute episode. Highly recommend this podcast in general.

Nerf, I've been working with my coaches and mastermind groups on this principle of distinguishing between my Low Value Work and my High Value Work, and trying to time block so the Higher Value Work gets more of my time. But I can barely get to it, b/c of firefighting the smalltimey stuff.

This pod you reference sounds like it may be too depressing for me at this time...UNLESS...did you come out of feeling enervated to spend less time on the Meaningless Work?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Nerf, I've been working with my coaches and mastermind groups on this principle of distinguishing between my Low Value Work and my High Value Work, and trying to time block so the Higher Value Work gets more of my time. But I can barely get to it, b/c of firefighting the smalltimey stuff.

This pod you reference sounds like it may be too depressing for me at this time...UNLESS...did you come out of feeling enervated to spend less time on the Meaningless Work?
It's hard to put myself in your shoes, JP--I still live under the delusion that I do meaningful work most of the time, lol. My day of reckoning is coming, I'm sure. But to me--and this is for @El-Jefe too, this was worth the listen for the understanding it imparts on the mechanics of it all.

High Value = BWI + Black Shoe Diaries
Low Value = work

Of course that's not true but it seems like it some days.

Every time my wife's company starts to show less of a profit, they cut a lot of middle management and a lot of non revenue producing roles. You do not see that in academia. I am not sure if all companies do that, but her does.
My company does that -- however, we also create new corporate level divisions, so the net result is still the blob expanding outward.

And because the new orgs have Important Execs, all of whom with Official Responsibility, the blob replenishes itself.

... This pod you reference sounds like it may be too depressing for me at this time...UNLESS...did you come out of feeling enervated to spend less time on the Meaningless Work?
Being enervated to spend less time on something! Great wordplay! :)

But it would not help time spent on important work. :(

High Value = BWI + Black Shoe Diaries
Low Value = work

Of course that's not true but it seems like it some days.

Those are definitely more valuable, personally. Alas, there's the pesky matter of Money, and keeping the lights on.

Which makes me empathize with the good writer folk out there, who struggle to find that $ Flow to support their writing projects. Or who haven't developed non-writing skills yet that they can fall back on, to keep said lights on.

@nitlion6

"Early 80s to now PSU has seen a small percentage uptick in the number of students on main campus, yet main campus has experienced a huge increase in building construction and expansion."

A couple of years ago, I took my niece to see where I went to college. It had been twenty years since I was back on campus. Driving around, a lot had changed. As I looked for my old dorm, Pinchot Hall, I realized the parking lot across the street was now more buildings.

Penn State is no different than any other college. It occupies a lot of real estate and has an enormous investment in single-purpose buildings. Labor is virtually a fixed cost.

The day of reckoning is at hand. Since the birthrate cratered 10-15 years ago, there are simply going to be fewer students. When there's fewer students, the huge allocated fixed costs go up. In addition the annual trip by the state colleges and universities to Harrisburg with their hand out will be less effective because the "give us more money or we'll raise tuition and blame you" game won't work as effectively.

People not wearing rose-colored glasses have known this for a long, long time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...really-close-in-the-next-decade/#2b5d847052e5

Reactions: Sullivan
It's hard to put myself in your shoes, JP--I still live under the delusion that I do meaningful work most of the time, lol. My day of reckoning is coming, I'm sure. But to me--and this is for @El-Jefe too, this was worth the listen for the understanding it imparts on the mechanics of it all.

You bring up a good point about mindset, lol. If we adjust our attitudes, ALL work is meaningful, right? I'd like that.

But that sh*t ain't the truth.

The truth is the weak work sucks our time.

Cuz it has to be done. Jocko's got a good chapter in his book Leadership Strategy & Tactics, called Picking Up Brass:
bwvJiSl.png

Anyway, I've queued up this pod, so I can enjoy some High Quality #content recommended by my respected brother. Thank you!

You bring up a good point about mindset, lol. If we adjust our attitudes, ALL work is meaningful, right? I'd like that.

But that sh*t ain't the truth.

The truth is the weak work sucks our time.

Cuz it has to be done. Jocko's got a good chapter in his book Leadership Strategy & Tactics, called Picking Up Brass:
bwvJiSl.png

Anyway, I've queued up this pod, so I can enjoy some High Quality #content recommended by my respected brother. Thank you!
Amen.

Though we should distinguish between menial work and waste. Menial work needs to be done and therefore has value, regardless of who does it. Waste needs to be eliminated.

Amen.

Though we should distinguish between menial work and waste. Menial work needs to be done and therefore has value, regardless of who does it. Waste needs to be eliminated.

Sometimes there is a difference between working hard and working smart. I've seen people who were definitely hard workers, but a lot of their hard work was due to their lack of planning how to do a task efficiently.

I remember an interesting anecdote about Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla. Edison once made a comment that his success was due to 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Tesla later commented that Edison could have saved himself a lot of the perspiration if he had applied the proper analysis to his research.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT