ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford dropping wrestling (and other sports)

Stanford indicated that they will honor all scholarships.

That's quasi-honorable of them. It puts the top wrestlers in a tough position, though, I think. Do you go to a lesser school because of wrestling or do you focus on developing your freestyle skills and get your Stanford degree. I have to think have the Stanford scholarship in your pocket would narrow your school/program choices to a very select few if you are thinking about transferring.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
If they hadn't already redshirted, I guess upcoming seniors could keep their scholarship, graduate and then transfer for a grad year. The underclassmen really have a tough decision.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Who are the best Ivy League wrestlers out there?

Because I've learned that BWI is High Value (to me) Work *, here's a quick peruse of https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/starters:

3. Patrick Glory, Princeton
4. Vito Arujau, Cornell
16. Michael Colaiocco, Penn
19. Joe Manchio, Columbia

26. Angelo Rini, Columbia

20. Doug Zapf, Penn
28. Matthew Kazimir, Columbia
UR: Joshua Saunders, Cornell, TRFR, 2x MFS Junior Fargo Champ; 3x Mizz State Champ

1. Yianni
22. AJ Haffi, Harvard
28. Lucas Revano, Penn
30. Ricky Cabanillas, Brown

5. Quincy Monday, Princeton
19. Anthony Artalona, Penn
21. Colton Yapoujian, Cornell
33. Kyle Mosher, Columbia

12. Philip Conigliaro, Harvard
24. Grant Cuomo, Princeton

33. Lenox Wolak, Columbia

2. Max Dean, Cornell
23. Travis Stefanik, Princeton

2. Ben Darmstadt, Cornell
5. Patrick Brucki, Princeton
29. Cole Urbas, Penn

8. Yaraslau Slavilouski,, Harvard

* Although this work was self-valued as High to me, results may vary for you. You may find mistakes or annoyance or general distaste for my own very being, such that reading this from me, could be extremely Low value to you.

Stanford indicated that they will honor all scholarships.

they do mention that "Many of these sports currently compete without a full complement of scholarships (e.g. wrestling), coaches and resources." so it's possible even their best guys weren't on full scholarships.

You bring up a good point about mindset, lol. If we adjust our attitudes, ALL work is meaningful, right? I'd like that.

But that sh*t ain't the truth.

The truth is the weak work sucks our time.

Cuz it has to be done. Jocko's got a good chapter in his book Leadership Strategy & Tactics, called Picking Up Brass:
bwvJiSl.png

Anyway, I've queued up this pod, so I can enjoy some High Quality #content recommended by my respected brother. Thank you!
Jtothemfp, that is a very good example of servant leadership, which I always tried to practice during my years as a supervisor. Not only did I feel it was the right (ethical/moral) way to lead, but it invariably had the effect of strengthening the relationships I had with my employees.

Reactions: nerfstate
That's quasi-honorable of them. It puts the top wrestlers in a tough position, though, I think. Do you go to a lesser school because of wrestling or do you focus on developing your freestyle skills and get your Stanford degree. I have to think have the Stanford scholarship in your pocket would narrow your school/program choices to a very select few if you are thinking about transferring.

With only 9.9 to give and a tuition of $55k, the scholarship itself isn’t going to amount to much. But what happens if most of the roster transfers? Do the holdouts then get a bigger slice of the remaining pie? :D

Early 80s to now PSU has seen a small percentage uptick in the number of students on main campus, yet main campus has experienced a huge increase in building construction and expansion. The number of administrative assistants is probably 100 times greater now versus then.
The outlandish increases in peripheral support costs associated with college athletics is simply an extension of those increased costs across the college world period.

Not that it justifies it obviously, but what is the increase in tuition rates since then?

Reactions: Dogwelder
With only 9.9 to give and a tuition of $55k, the scholarship itself isn’t going to amount to much. But what happens if most of the roster transfers? Do the holdouts then get a bigger slice of the remaining pie? :D

That would probably be a touch *too* honorable. ;)

The guy who shared this said that in under two days, funding was secured to endow the program, and the AD said no. :mad:

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I found this from the article particularly interesting...
"Understand this: These schools don’t have a money problem. They have a shopping addiction. From 2004 to 2018, NCAA revenue exploded from $3 billion to $14 billion thanks largely to media rights, licensing and sponsorship deals. Yet some schools are so financially distressed that a single canceled football season could be catastrophic. Stanford has cut 11 sports, and Wisconsin informed donors that it could face a $100 million shortfall. Where’d the money go? The answer is, to compulsive spending and gross misallocation. Hundreds of millions disappeared into the pockets of deputy assistant associate athletic directors for administration, conference commissioners for the commission of commissions and Nick Saban’s corporate-welfare army of “football analysts.”

and

"Before anything else, NCAA schools have to get their spending and their addiction to debt under control."

A few observations:
1. The shopping addiction comment applies to just about every level of government in the country, every department and agency. It also applies to every college in the country, not just their athletic departments and too many households. Look at the list of college administrators. I think Michigan has over 50 administrators for diversity programs. Not knocking diversity, I think a few would do to manage those programs.
2. Addiction to debt comment says it all
3. Good luck to the players getting a split of the football revenue. Article points out that Wisconsin could face a $100 million shortfall, give the players a split of revenue and that is $125 million shortfall...not happening.
4. D1 sports need to follow a D3 model for most of the sports that lose money. Regional competition, bare bone recruiting expenses and the coaches have other jobs on campus.

Reactions: diggerpup and Ski
This has been happening to Men’s Olympic sports for decades - there are scores of once-great Olympic pipelines that are gone from the NCAA firmament.

And you have idiotic female sportscasters like Christine Brennan every 4 years practically cackling that American women earn more Olympic medals then the men. Well, yeah, easy to do when Opportunities for male gymnasts, runners, rowers, volleyball players, etc are dwindling

... I could be black, I could be white
... I could be wrong, I could be right
... They put a hot wire to my head
... 'Cause of the things I did and said
... Your time has come, your second skin
... Cost so high, the gain so low
... May the road rise with you

"’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!” He took his vorpal sword in hand; Long time the manxome foe he sought— So rested he by the Tumtum tree And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came! One, two! One, two! And through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back. “And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!” He chortled in his joy. ’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. "

I hesitate to even bring this up, but Stanford listed, "Impact on the diversity of our student-athlete population", as one of their list of ten main criteria used in deciding which sports to cut. I felt bad about even doing so, but I decided to look at the team roster photos for the sports being cut. The race of the athletes was overwhelmingly white, although the wrestling team seemed to be better represented by persons of color than the other teams. I am not trying to make any greater political or racial point with this post other than to say that continuing to try to increase diversity in wrestling at all levels might be of help as schools continue to tighten their athletic budgets and potentially have to make hard decisions on which sports they may have to cut. Not only do I think it is good for wrestling in general to try to increase the participation of minorities, but it may have the self-serving effect of being a buffer against future cuts to programs. Support for organizations like Beat the Streets and other outreach efforts could go a long way in helping this cause.
no, it comes down to the color 'green' doesn't like the color 'cardinal'

PSU should cut half the sports.
If you don’t like all of the teams, maybe you become a fan of an SEC school. The department’s own mission statement addresses the philosophy of having a variety of sports.
“The vision of the Athletics Department is to maintain a broad-based program the equal of any in the nation; to achieve the most favorable graduation rate possible for student- athletes...”

If you don’t like all of the teams, maybe you become a fan of an SEC school. The department’s own mission statement addresses the philosophy of having a variety of sports.
“The vision of the Athletics Department is to maintain a broad-based program the equal of any in the nation; to achieve the most favorable graduation rate possible for student- athletes...”

They can play intramurals, cut costs and spend more time learning.

At the very least we should ditch conference affiliation for non revenue sports. It is worthless. Does psu really need to send non revenue teams across country to play in from of 80 fans? Absurd.

At the very least we should ditch conference affiliation for non revenue sports. It is worthless. Does psu really need to send non revenue teams across country to play in from of 80 fans? Absurd.

You realize many consider wrestling to be a non revenue sport even at PSU right?

Reactions: PSUer1989
at
If it is based on fans, You would have eliminated Pitt football two decades ago.

I don't know of any amateur athletes who go to grinding practices thinking I'm doing this for the fans in section 205.

They can grind in club sports.

Um, other than football and mens bball ALL sports at PSU are non revenue.

Reactions: PSUer1989
If colleges determined what teams they had by profit and attendance.

We'd have two and a half teams at most schools. This is one of the more ignorant takes I see from the fanbase at my own alma mater. Yup, let's cut everything, unknowingly shunning the situation and advocate for a move to Division II and putting the school at risk of gender-equity lawsuits.

Top notch.

ADVERTISEMENT