ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

SB could be injured on any play. What makes the kickoff return "not as important" as the next play they run from scrimmage. Yards are yards. If your 230 lb, 4.33 guy is your best kickoff returner....what is the difference if Sanders returns it to the 25, and then on first down SB carries if for 5 to the 30. Or SB returns the kick to the 30?

Get the ball in your playmakers hands. Steelers have used their best offensive player, Antonio Brown, as the punt returner because he's great at it.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and that's fine.

Right. I would just think that yards are yards and plays are plays - give your best player a break. If it's a 'situational' thing where he's used sparingly, I'm all for it. But like you say - if Sanders can get 25 yards, let him.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I did a quick google search. I remember reading studies about how kick off returners really don't get injured that much in comparison to many other plays. I may or may not find it, but here is a study of youth football injuries. The study for college or pro showed the same thing.

http://www.sadlersports.com/blog/ayf-releases-data-injuries-youth-tackle-football/

Below is a summary of the leading injury statistics by frequency in each category:

• Type Of Play
45% offense

35% defense

11% other

2% kicking off; 2% receiving kick off

Note that very few injuries occur during kickoff returns.

• Position Played
24% running back

17% defensive line

11% linebacker

11% offensive line

9% quarterback

6% secondary; 4% receiver; 2% kickoff returner

Does that account for frequency of those type of plays? Obviously way less special teams plays vs total plays in a game.

In any case it's an interesting conversation. Kid is electric with the ball.

Reactions: WDLion and bmw199
Their main focus on offense is to get SB the ball in space. Well, KOR is definitely putting a guy with the ball in space. Look at what Quadry Henderson has done for Pitt with his return yardage. His 80 or 90 yard KOR in their game against us probably won the game for them. We had all the momentum in the world at that moment. We have enough depth now at RB with 5* Sanders along with the others, you can't coach scared. We're gunning for a national championship this year, don't leave any bullets left in the chamber.
You were serious. Huh. Okay.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I get that, but he's our best player and KR is risky. The other thing is - don't we have a ton of talented young guys who could easily fill this role? Give me someone who is smart enough to know when to run and when to FC and I'm happy. I think Carter returned kicks on the '94 team (with Archie) and I can't recall him ever breaking one. Guess we'll see though.
Especially with this offense. Starting from the 20 or 40 won't make a ton of difference.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
A long way to go before KO returner is decided. Sanders did a nice job with returns toward the end of last year -- I would think he'll get more opportunities.

But KO return is a place where true freshman can be used safely -- so it could be someone like Hamler or Wade -- just a great athlete who can read the field and make good decisions. Or a bigger guy with speed, who would not be very pleasant for the gunners to hit. Why not Tommy Stevens -- he's a terrific athlete, smart, fast, very physical.

With KOs you don't need to break them for TDs -- that is going to happen rarely. But a well timed return to the 45 is a big chunk of field position and also a good momentum shifter for the team. That's what Sanders was able to do for them in a couple of games last year.

A long way to go before KO returner is decided. Sanders did a nice job with returns toward the end of last year -- I would think he'll get more opportunities.

But KO return is a place where true freshman can be used safely -- so it could be someone like Hamler or Wade -- just a great athlete who can read the field and make good decisions. Or a bigger guy with speed, who would not be very pleasant for the gunners to hit. Why not Tommy Stevens -- he's a terrific athlete, smart, fast, very physical.

With KOs you don't need to break them for TDs -- that is going to happen rarely. But a well timed return to the 45 is a big chunk of field position and also a good momentum shifter for the team. That's what Sanders was able to do for them in a couple of games last year.
Stevens! You can't be serious.

Notes on Penn State's newest offensive threat
Barton Simmons

Here's the latest installment of Cover 3 — my weekly take on all things college football.

1. Penn State's budding star

20160910_Pitt_00496.JPG

Step into the football building at Penn State for more than a few minutes and you'll start hearing about the spring exploits of wide receiver Juwan Johnson. The redshirt sophomore is having a breakout camp and according to just about everyone in State College, where I spent a few days last week, he's got a chance to be one of the most dangerous receiving threats in the Big Ten this fall.

When Juwan Johnson was coming out of high school, he was a physical specimen. We're talking a 6-foot-5, 215-pound beast of a wide receiver. I liked him. We ranked him a four-star and the No. 12 wide receiver in the country. We picked him as a U.S. Army All-American. But there was a very real concern with Johnson in a pretty important area: pass-catching. I still remember the video of him from the New Jersey Nike Camp 1on1s with him dropping some very catchable passes.

So this wasn't some 'just add water' talent that was coming to Penn State ready to dominate. Johnson needed to develop. It's a credit to him that he has. He's emerging into a sure-handed, reliable target for quarterback Trace McSorley and those hands that were once a concern are suddenly second nature.

According to the people around the Penn State program, Johnson has caught thousands of balls on the jugs machine, he's always among the last to leave practice and he's one of the most common residents in the weight room and practice facility during the offseason. And now it's all paying off.

Wide receivers coach Josh Gattis has put together and developed one of the more talented wide receiver groups in the country and with Chris Godwin departing early for the NFL, Johnson is ready to step seamlessly into his shoes.

Johnson is going to make some plays Saturday at Penn State's spring game and unlike many flash-in-the-pan spring game stars, expect those plays to translate to Saturdays in the fall, too. He's put in the work to have staying power.

Reactions: grinagrin
What about allowing Barkley to return the opening or second half kick off? He would be fully rested and ready to take one to the house... That being said, I would trade starting at the 20 yard line after each kickoff over risking his injury on kick offs.

If they use him as a KR it won't be 100% of the time. My guess is he wouldn't do it vs. the likes of Buttgers but he may do it in big games, and maybe not even then if we get out ahead.

Any talk of using Barkley as a "part time" KO return guy is silly. Unless your usual returner is struggling, why would you replace him with someone who doesn't have the game reps? First of all, the replacement wouldn't be as comfortable returning kicks, and second - if it's such an important time for a good return - the intensity on that one KO would be much higher, making for an even higher potential for injury.

Any talk of using Barkley as a "part time" KO return guy is silly. Unless your usual returner is struggling, why would you replace him with someone who doesn't have the game reps? First of all, the replacement wouldn't be as comfortable returning kicks, and second - if it's such an important time for a good return - the intensity on that one KO would be much higher, making for an even higher potential for injury.

It makes me nervous as well to see him back there. But I get why they would do it in certain situations (like when they put him back there at the end of the Minnesota and USC games). He is arguably the best runner in the country so you want to maximize his touches when the chips are down and we need something big to happen. Lots of reserves usually play on special teams. Barkley is hard enough for starters to corral so I like his chances against reserves as much as any other option when we have our backs against a wall.

Last edited:

It's not "talk". That's what CJF did last year. You could always go tell CJF he's "silly".......

Last edited:

Eagles did this with Desean Jackson and Brian Westbrook. Both took it to the house at key times to win the game.

Eagles did this with Desean Jackson and Brian Westbrook. Both took it to the house at key times to win the game.
It's done all the time, college and NFL. The NFL does it a lot more, I remember the Vikings using Anthony Carter as a returner when the chips were down back in the 80s.
The argument against using him as KR in key situations is silly. You can debate what you call a key situation, but that is the extent of it.

Reactions: Aloha T
It's done all the time, college and NFL. The NFL does it a lot more, I remember the Vikings using Anthony Carter as a returner when the chips were down back in the 80s.
The argument against using him as KR in key situations is silly. You can debate what you call a key situation, but that is the extent of it.

..and none of those guys carry the load or take the punishment that a starting RB does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT