ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Camp News Thread....

There was a time late last season when Penn State freshman, now soon-to-be sophomore, Connor McGovern was readying to slide over from his starting spot at right guard to tackle. In the event that Chasz Wright went down, McGovern would take his place.

Wright, however, remained upward, and Penn State's offensive line has since largely returned to health. Yet McGovern is still on the move this spring. Only he's not sliding right. He's going left.

At his first press conference of the spring Tuesday, Nittany Lions coach James Franklin announced that after much deliberation within the staff, McGovern will be opening spring practices at center. McGovern started nine of Penn State's final 10 games last season at right guard and took snaps in every one but the team's trip to Rutgers, which he sat out with an injury. The Larksville, Pa., native was originally recruited as a center.

"We have changed it kind of, probably three or four times as a staff, and basically, what we've ended with, is that you know, we want to get as many returning starters on the field as possible," Franklin said. "So the best way to do that is by moving a guy like Connor McGovern in there to center."

Follow
Andrew Callahan @ACallahan_247

JF: McGovern and SImpson at center to start spring practices. Menet and Miranda will also rotate in.

12:14 PM - 21 Mar 2017

Zach Simpson will back up McGovern in the middle, as he did last season for the graduated Brian Gaia, who remains around the building as he prepares for a potential pro career. Simpson did not see any game action in 2016, so Penn State will also have redshirt freshman Michal Menet and true freshman Mike Miranda making snaps in practice.

"They are both guys that have done it before in practice," Franklin said of McGovern and Simpson, "and we feel like we can go out and practice well right from day one with those guys."

Ultimately, McGovern's move is far from permanent, as Franklin is requiring each of his centers to be able to kick out to guard when needed. While McGovern is now penciled in as the first-team center, he more accurately stands as one piece of a continually evolving offensive line.

"Typically your centers and guards need to be interchangeable and your tackles usually are just a different body type, you know, different type of athlete. I think Coach Limegrover has done a really good job. We have been forced in our past to be interchangeable just based on numbers, where now we're doing it just to make sure that we can kind of get the best five on the field or the best two-deep, best ten in the two-deep situation," Franklin said.

"So that's how we're going to start spring ball, but I'm not sure necessarily finish that way. We'll just kind of see."

Reactions: artsandletters
Was there any news on Mahon's status ? Sorry if this was discussed earlier......

I don't think JF was asked about him, but there have been some $$ articles that listed him as a projected starting guard for the spring. Sounds like he'll go.

Reactions: RJB
It sounds to me like it will be the four starters from last year, plus Mahon, in some sort of configuration.

Heard Adam Rittenberg today on Steve Jones show, saying that, if this O line can continue the upward improvement, then PSU could have a special season.

Reactions: LionJim
He was also a RS Soph or younger when he played guard. He also wasn't surrounded by much talent or experience. He was a year older and surrounded by more talent and experience (and a mobile Qb) when playing tackle.

With another year under his belt, and surrounded by experienced, talented players, I think he can make an outstanding guard.

He was also a RS Soph or younger when he played guard. He also wasn't surrounded by much talent or experience. He was a year older and surrounded by more talent and experience (and a mobile Qb) when playing tackle.

With another year under his belt, and surrounded by experienced, talented players, I think he can make an outstanding guard.

We will see and obviously nothing is set in stone (or even remotely close to set in stone ) in March. And I completely trust JF and Limegrover.

But he was brutal as a guard.

1471513_32371.jpg

"What are your priorities and goals for spring practice?"

"Team spring objectives: No. 1 is 100% effort on every play. Every person in the program, from snap to whistle.

"No. 2 -- the most competitive environment in college football. Every play is the Super Bowl.

"No. 3 -- offensive ball security, defensive ball disruption. We were undefeated in the games where we won the turnover battle.

"Those are the three main deals."

"I try to think about what are we doing to differentiate ourselves," Franklin said. "For example, everybody is doing morning workouts. So how are we different? For us to just think well, we're working hard...so, well, if you just work hard that equals success? That's not how life works, as we know. It does give you a chance. That's the minimum ingredient, to work hard."

http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...es-franklins-spring-practice-message,1471513/

Reactions: WeR0206
1471513_32371.jpg

"What are your priorities and goals for spring practice?"

"Team spring objectives: No. 1 is 100% effort on every play. Every person in the program, from snap to whistle.

"No. 2 -- the most competitive environment in college football. Every play is the Super Bowl.

"No. 3 -- offensive ball security, defensive ball disruption. We were undefeated in the games where we won the turnover battle.

"Those are the three main deals."

"I try to think about what are we doing to differentiate ourselves," Franklin said. "For example, everybody is doing morning workouts. So how are we different? For us to just think well, we're working hard...so, well, if you just work hard that equals success? That's not how life works, as we know. It does give you a chance. That's the minimum ingredient, to work hard."

http://www.statecollege.com/news/co...es-franklins-spring-practice-message,1471513/
I will admit I was getting skeptical with some of the early loses, but we are so lucky to have this guy as the leader of the program. He just gets it.

Not to mention he's now in year two with Limegrover as his position coach.

Reactions: ras5051
serious question, what time of day do they practice? And what days of the week do they practice (typically) ? TIA

ADVERTISEMENT