ADVERTISEMENT

sPitt getting their it together....maybe not

If not, just a matter of when. Pretty obvious the pecking order was Santoro, then Flynn, then the in-house guys if all else fails.

If true, best of luck to Tim (if he takes the job), imagine that, a PSU guy a head coach at Pitt!! I would think that he's built a solid foundation at the 'Boro and I hope they continue to have a strong program.

Reactions: diggerpup
If true, best of luck to Tim (if he takes the job), imagine that, a PSU guy a head coach at Pitt!! I would think that he's built a solid foundation at the 'Boro and I hope they continue to have a strong program.

He wouldn't be the first PSU guy that was head wrestling coach at Pitt.

Reactions: papa_ed

OK, so sPitt WAS getting their it together. Pat tells em go pound sand with no guarantee of facilities upgrades etc. (At least that's what I read somewhere.) If so, he was smart to stay with the Hawkineers.

Does Flynn take sloppy 2nds without any of those promises of facility upgrades etc? I sure hope not...

OK, so sPitt WAS getting their it together. Pat tells em go pound sand with no guarantee of facilities upgrades etc. (At least that's what I read somewhere.) If so, he was smart to stay with the Hawkineers.

Does Flynn take sloppy 2nds without any of those promises of facility upgrades etc? I sure hope not...
It's hard to tell what exactly happened yet. Apparently Lehigh made a nice counter offer. But it's not yet clear if Pitt met Santoro's demands about facilities, an RTC, etc.

Flynn has a different issue: Edinboro University is in financial trouble. The university kicked the can down the road by admitting everyone who applied (99% acceptance rate, see HERE.) But what can't go on forever, won't. The university president will soon have to make some hard choices. Too early to tell if it will affect wrestling, but one could hardly fault Flynn if he found more stability elsewhere.

Reactions: bdv
It's hard to tell what exactly happened yet. Apparently Lehigh made a nice counter offer. But it's not yet clear if Pitt met Santoro's demands about facilities, an RTC, etc.

Flynn has a different issue: Edinboro University is in financial trouble. The university kicked the can down the road by admitting everyone who applied (99% acceptance rate, see HERE.) But what can't go on forever, won't. The university president will soon have to make some hard choices. Too early to tell if it will affect wrestling, but one could hardly fault Flynn if he found more stability elsewhere.
Regret having to agree with that. It is making me really nervous looking at the finances

Reactions: ptomaselli
Saying it gave me no pleasure either.

I knew some of the PSAC schools were in trouble financially due to low admission. They already merged Cheyney with WCU. Figured Mansfield would be next. I know Boro's down like 28% but they're still in the middle of the pack enrollment wise. I guess its good to be WCU, IUP and Bloom.

Last edited:
I knew some of the PSAC schools were in trouble financially due to low admission. They already merged Cheyney with WCU. Figured Mansfield would be next. I know Boro's down like 28% but they're still in the middle of the pack enrollment wise. I guess its good to be WCU, IUP and Bloom.
lhu also in financial difficulty and has dropped several sports. wrestling appears to be ok, at least for now.

sPitt couldnt win an @ss kicking contest against a one legged man.

If the street is right, sPitt commitment to wrestling is on par with their effort to pack the stadium for football games.

If the street is right, sPitt commitment to wrestling is on par with their effort to pack the stadium for football games.
Except in their minds they are really trying.
I do understand their academics are still top notch. Their MSN in anesthesia is top 5 and their BS in fast food service is now ranked first.

Rinse and Repeat.

I know the witty replies coming, but it is really hard to fathom how Pitt whiffs twice in a row here. Actually, it is not hard as they have basically just reaffirmed their stance - not interested in pursuing excellence in non-revenue athletics because there is zero tangible financial reward.

But it is just a stark reminder of the climate we exist in. It takes a unique mindset in the administration of a university (or probably rather a booster with cavernous pockets) to advance any non-revenue sports like wrestling. Even in, arguably, the center of the most wrestling rabid community in the nation.

To me, Flynn declining is less surprising than Santoro declining. Flynn has the ultimate coach-AD relationship with Baumgartner as AD, very few other sports competing for his time, and the other sports are all D2. No matter how supportive the Pitt AD is, football and hoops will always come first, second, and last.

He might not have the full 9.9 rides now, but he's at a cheaper school, so the money goes farther.

Plus, he's already had a top 3 finish and national finalists/champs at Edinboro. He has his own coaching tree including Rosselli and Robie. Maybe Pitt is more likely to produce individual champs, but for team goals there's no reason to go there unless they're truly committed to competing for titles.

And that's before getting into the pros and (many) cons of the Pitt job.

Last edited:
To me, Flynn declining is less surprising than Santoro declining. Flynn has the ultimate coach-AD relationship with Baumgartner as AD, very few other sports competing for his time, and the other sports are all D2. No matter how supportive the Pitt AD is, football and hoops will always come first, second, and last.

He might not have the full 9.9 rides now, but he's at a cheaper school, so the money goes farther.

Plus, he's already had a top 3 finish and national finalists/champs at Edinboro. He has his own coaching tree including Rosselli and Robie. Maybe Pitt is more likely to produce individual champs, but for team goals there's no reason to go there unless they're truly committed to competing for titles.

And that's before getting into the pros and (many) cons of the Pitt job.
And they have snow...man, do they have snow!

I honestly thought you were all calling them South Pitt for like a year because I know PA has 50 million colleges in it. I just figured there was another college in the northern area of Pittsburgh. Ya'll ruthless haha.

Cheney has a nice rural campus setting. It may be difficult for them to meet their enrollment preferences in the modern era, with so many other options. Hope the merger with WCU keeps them financially afloat.

Last edited:

I am fairly involved with my alma mater and have been privy to some "inside" information over the years. Colleges and universities are nearing a crisis point between the lack of federal support, costs and demographic trends. Over the next 20 years, we will see many schools folding up. It's one of the things about Larry Lee's move to a much less endowed Coe College from a better-endowed Carnegie-Mellon so puzzling to me.

I am fairly involved with my alma mater and have been privy to some "inside" information over the years. Colleges and universities are nearing a crisis point between the lack of federal support, costs and demographic trends. Over the next 20 years, we will see many schools folding up. It's one of the things about Larry Lee's move to a much less endowed Coe College from a better-endowed Carnegie-Mellon so puzzling to me.

Yep very puzzling.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I honestly thought you were all calling them South Pitt for like a year because I know PA has 50 million colleges in it. I just figured there was another college in the northern area of Pittsburgh. Ya'll ruthless haha.
South Pitt = West Virginia.

Not just geographically. Morgantown has always had a lot of SW PA kids enrolled.

It's not just lower admission, only 27% of the kids who enroll actually graduate in 4 to 6 years, meaning Edinboro has a small (and shrinking) donor pool made up of lower earning graduates.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptomaselli
So Pitt's AD has a well thought out plan to make a wrestling hire:

9034cc8cb758c2519805ff4d8b8273a2_motorola-sold-to-lenovo-for-south-park-aand-its-gone-meme_1280-720.jpeg

...I still think John Hughes would be a good fit for them ...
...4X PIAA Champion...
...BIG10 Champion...
...NCAA Champion...
...3X NCAA All-American...
...5 yr Assistant at PSU...
...9 yr Assistant at Lehigh...3 years as Assistant Head Coach...

...I still think John Hughes would be a good fit for them ...
...4X PIAA Champion...
...BIG10 Champion...
...NCAA Champion...
...3X NCAA All-American...
...5 yr Assistant at PSU...
...9 yr Assistant at Lehigh...3 years as Assistant Head Coach...
That's great, but they don't. Either that or he doesn't want the job. He's not one of their finalists.

Santoro, Flynn, and the 2 in house guys, Kocher and Headlee.

Oh, OK. Obviously everyone was aware of Santoro and Flynn. I guess that means its down to Kocher or Headlee. I was just thinking they may have added people to their "nationwide search" since being down to the assistants didn't seem so "nationwide" to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT