ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee forfeiting out the rest of the tourney.

I see on here that the Iowa fan is telling us that Iowa is the most popular program in the country. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't.

However, I don't recall seeing so much college wrestling on national TV until Penn State started winning national championships 12 years ago.

Coincidence? Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.
Iowa has the largest attendance numbers, Penn State moves the needle nationally.

Thoughtful post, James. One line got me thinking …

Spencer had a chance in Tulsa to cement his legacy as an all-time great.

But he got decked and quit the competition.

So when all was said and done, he ended up with a college career not quite as good as Alex Dieringer’s.

If he goes on to do something epic in international competition (multiple gold medals like David Taylor or an Olympic run as dominant as Gable’s in ‘72) or becomes the coach who vanquishes Cael, he could still go down as an all-time great.

Until then, he’s an all-time very good.
I'd say he's still an all-time great because he won 2 Hodges and 3 titles. Just a step below the elite.

The only reason Iowa has larger attendance numbers than PSU is that we wrestle most of our duals in Rec Hall. Move them all to BJC and we would draw more fans. Book it!

Reactions: Ski
What separates Lee from Nickal, Nolf, Ruth, Brooks, Retherford, or Starrocci? All have won 3 titles. Zain has two Hodge trophies too.
Nothing. Those guys are all just a step below the elite as well (and Starocci could take the next step with a 4th/5th).

If he really wanted to man up he should have been giving a press conference along with brands explaining to the fans what was going on. That's sports. By not doing that he opened the door for whatever rumors would come. It doesn't make it right but that's what happens. He's human and could have showed that side to everyone but didn't and it turned out making him look like a sore loser. Now I know he hugged the other guys at the podium but nobody saw that. Just saying
Rumors and innuendos are SOP where Spencer's team is concerned.

Before @js8793 or anyone else comes on here saying I'm piling on, I haven't been a Spencer fan for a long, long time (pre-Iowa) and that's well documented by my posts on here. A great, great wrestler but has always had the PR team going overtime when he wasn't on top. There's never been a loss that hasn't had some kind of excuse attached to it leak out and I've never seen the winning wrestler credited as just being better that day by Spencer, his team, or his fans. There can be no mistake that some of the leaked info HAS to have come from Spencer's team. This has been going on since 8th grade:

Suriano loss - locked hands
Fix kicking his butt twice - not fair because Fix is bigger even though they weighed in the same
DeSanto - mysteriously, Spencer's post-tourney MRI shows up online via social media and a wrestling website shortly after states. How does that happen without Spencer's family being involved?
Then on to Iowa - Lyme disease, mono, one ACL, two ACLs, they all run together, but one is present for every loss
Ramos - an Iowa reporter is posting that Spencer suffered a "catastrophic" knee injury hours after the loss - where does that come from?

News flash - almost every wrestler is battling some kind of sickness, injury, etc. at many points during their career. It's part of the sport. There have been many instances - HS, college, wherever - of guys wrestling with SERIOUS knee injuries - sometimes to their detriment, sometimes not. You step on the mat and compete - excuses are for wussies as someone once told us.

The PR machine for Spencer has been in full effect since I'd say 7th grade or so. Just like it has been for other wunderkind, but it's pretty evident that his team has been right on board with it.

It's old, it's tired. It will be interesting to see how the international career develops. I'd suspect more of the same.

Didn't stop Robles.

(I'm kidding!)
That's a fine quip about a very noble warrior. Cael brought in a gutsy kid missing a hand. No quit in either. Got to give them both big hand and anyone criticizing them doesn't have a leg to stand on. ;) No disrespect to either. Just can't turn a blind eye to Spencer's mom. Best to quit while I'm behind.😈

The criticism of Spencer Lee’s reaction to his loss is certainly fair IMO, as are many of the responses to his mom’s passionate but odd reaction to the loss.

But I’d tap the brakes on the harsh broader generalizations about the Lee family, their values, character, parenting style, etc.

I get the temptation to psychoanalyze others. It’s human nature to try to make sense of others’ conduct within the context of our own life experience.

But ultimately it’s a fool’s errand for anyone who isn’t close enough to the family to know what’s really going on. Such internet assessments are as trustworthy as tarot card reading, as “real” as WWE wrestling, and as accurate as the late night tv “body language expert” making sweeping judgments about a person’s motives, character, or propensities based on the way they crossed their arms or legs during a public appearance.

There are too many unknowns, personality quirks, behavioral nuances, etc at play to draw any fair and definitive conclusions on this subject.

My own friends and neighbors know relatively little about the inner workings of my family. The odds of getting an accurate assessment of my family from a total stranger with even less access to my personal life are as good as Angel Rivera never screwing up another call at Natties.

What separates Lee from Nickal, Nolf, Ruth, Brooks, Retherford, or Starrocci? All have won 3 titles. Zain has two Hodge trophies too.
I have said this many times. Lee is 125 pounds. How many adult 125lbs do you know.

The above wrestlers had competitors moving up or down on their weight classes or the best of the above had opponents wrestleroff to avoid them for a season. Much more competition.

Spencer was a tremendous 125lber. If he were bigger and move him to any other weight, I'd take Nickal, Nolf, Ruth, Brooks, Rutherford or Starroci over him any day of the week.

Spencer Lee had Mike Tyson syndrome, he was tough until he wasn't.

@js8793

Some of it is haters. But Iowa nation are also quite pleased RBY lost, are they not? Many dislike him passionately. Almost as much as they dislike Bo.

But some of it is also:

- Iowa wrestling fans booing and coaches believing every injury time for an opposing wrestler is a lunger

- Iowa football fans booing PSU injured players and to this day insisting they were all faking

- Iowa football coach unequivocally stating that PSU football players faked injuries

- Terry telling Spencer to tell the world he won his title injured

- “excuses are for wusses”

- A documentary in which Tom tells the world Terry wrestled injured at the olympics

- A documentary in which Terry tells the world that the Iowa way is to wrestle for the next best thing when you don’t get what you want.

- Etc.

When you are constantly telling everyone else that they are faking injury or not tough enough and that the Iowa way is tougher and better than that, then expect to be called out when, by current appearances, you show something different. Even Ironside had something to say about it, did he not?

I’m convinced that if Spencer had wrestled Saturday morning, he’d be getting a ton of support and respect all around instead of this.
Larry being a dirtbag by recruiting other teams wrestlers to transfer to Iowa.

Reactions: Ski
On a side note, does anyone have experience locating a 10mm socket deep in the weeds?
Rumor has it, it's right beside my 4 foot level I molded into the shape of my retaining wall stone. After I discovered it was warped enough that it was why my wall wasn't leveling out.

You will have to go beyond "number of titles" to find the separation. Once they all graduate, one of the 3x champs in your list will have the least wins, the most losses, the most losses by fall, and the lowest NCAA placement. It would seem to me that that individual should be placed at the bottom of the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT