ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee forfeiting out the rest of the tourney.

It's Monday afternoon.

Don't you have a stack of TPS Reports to finish?
office space stapler GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Spencer is being criticized currently because he’s a victim on his own greatness. That greatness has brought him attention, adoration, fans, and of course some
I’m not asking for sympathy from this forum. I knew coming in that I would get none of that. I just wanted to offer a little introspection. Maybe induce a greater conversation about why we’re so quick to criticize when we see a crack in a color that doesn’t match the color “we” root for. Why it is pleasurable to find amusement from other failures, for them attempting to do what we can only dream of.

I’m being a tad hyperbolic here, but no one except a few people knows what he was dealing with this year. Because he’s Spencer Lee, and he wrestles for Iowa, and fans on this board don’t like a few fans on that other board, and his mom broke her glasses due to her devastation….so on etc. We insult and belittle without thinking twice.
Go F yourself. Every Iowa fan in the arena.was cheering for Silas Alred, Austin O’zconnor, Mason Paris, and Vito.

Now that he has “fallen” people that can not fathom to be in his shoes are criticizing him while not knowing really anything about the situation. Because he’s developed this fame, he’s now dealing with the consequences of stumbling. It’s not a new philosophy, which is why I added the quote.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Huh? How can I stop idiots from saying that bs about Sandusky. I’ve said in the past that there is no dumber response than bringing that up. No one involved in that tragedy is associated with the University of Penn St, in any way shape or form.

I’ve written the above numerous times. I’m not sure what more action you’d prefer me to take? Maybe i should apply for a job as a moderator?
Oh spare me, you said that on here to get in good favors. We see through it now. Have you ever even brought it up on HR even once? Doubt it. But that's okay, we're the sick ones for cheering that a rival wrestler "failed" and our karma is coming.

I'm sure you guys will be rooting for Starocci and Brooks when they go for 4, I'd hope so or else you're a sick person right? That's what I thought and you know what? You shouldn't have to nor do we expect you too. If either fail, feel free to celebrate it. You guys don't have a thread or anything on RBY for losing his last college match.

Still the biggest fanbase. Not the best program, but the most popular. That might change soon for sure.
I'm sure people at Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Penn State, and even Oklahoma State may have a different viewpoint on this than you do.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Oh spare me, you said that on here to get in good favors. We see through it now. Have you ever even brought it up on HR even once? Doubt it. But that's okay, we're the sick ones for cheering that a rival wrestler "failed" and our karma is coming.

I'm sure you guys will be rooting for Starocci and Brooks when they go for 4, I'd hope so or else you're a sick person right? That's what I thought and you know what? You shouldn't have to nor do we expect you too. If either fail, feel free to celebrate it. You guys don't have a thread or anything on RBY for losing his last college match.
I have brought it up. I’m not sure it’s possible to gain favor here when my name is hawkfan1986. That’s gonna be a tough one me thinks.

I posted on the RBY thread that I don’t hate him, I did say I’m glad he’s graduating. For obvious reason. I think that’s fair.

You seem intent on blaming me for everything that goes on at HR. I repeat, I can’t control what other people think and write.

I will not be upset with Brooks or CStar getting their 4th. I will be disappointed that Iowa doesn’t have anyone that can compete with them. I don’t often root for failure, I do root for Iowa success at the expense of Penn st. But you knew that, given my name. I’m sure this post will also do nothing for my favor over here.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I’m not asking for sympathy from this forum. I knew coming in that I would get none of that. I just wanted to offer a little introspection. Maybe induce a greater conversation about why we’re so quick to criticize when we see a crack in a color that doesn’t match the color “we” root for. Why it is pleasurable to find amusement from other failures, for them attempting to do what we can only dream of.

I’m being a tad hyperbolic here, but no one except a few people knows what he was dealing with this year. Because he’s Spencer Lee, and he wrestles for Iowa, and fans on this board don’t like a few fans on that other board, and his mom broke her glasses due to her devastation….so on etc. We insult and belittle without thinking twice.
Take all of this post. Which is very well done. I don’t think anyone is questioning your sincerity.

Replace Spencer Lee with Dylan Ragusin and replace this board with your head coach. The same thing applies in each situation as to developing a better conversation and understanding.

Feel like that’s what the Hawkeye faithful are missing here. Delight is being taken because people representing your program have taken delight in being hard on guys for years.

And most of this thread isn’t? I’m just going along. But I think you missed the point of my message and instead just concentrated on the first paragraph.
Hawkfan, I read the entire post and I get it. I think what a lot of people are missing is that everyone was talking about Spencer's loss. Everyone at the arena that night was buzzing about it. It didn't matter what shirt they were wearing.
But one thing I know is, everyone was talking about the reception he was going to get the next day. There were 17,000 people that wanted to give him a send off. Even if he had his sweats on and just shook hands with his opponent and MFF'ed out, he would have gotten the biggest applause of the day.
The fact that he wasn't visible to the crowd (even though he was reported to be there Saturday morning), resulted in the gossip and rumor mongering rather than the cheers he would have gotten.

I agree with 82 on this.. It would be fair to say he robbed himself of this and all the fans...
I think even Spencer would have been surprised with how much applause he would have gotten.. (not that he's there for that)

Take all of this post. Which is very well done. I don’t think anyone is questioning your sincerity.

Replace Spencer Lee with Dylan Ragusin and replace this board with your head coach. The same thing applies in each situation as to developing a better conversation and understanding.

Feel like that’s what the Hawkeye faithful are missing here. Delight is being taken because people representing your program have taken delight in being hard on guys for years.
Are you referring to Tom or Terry yelling you don’t like tough wrestling during big tens? I think that was meant for the refs not Dylan. I believe anyway.

Certainly no one is perfect, including T and T and they do sometimes go overboard. I’m sure their passion is what Iowa fans love, but that’s all what opposing fans dislike.

You offered a thought experiment, so I’ll offer one as well. Let’s assume Cael Sanderson doesn’t exist. Head coach of the Nittany Lions is Tom and associate HC is Terry? Would you not admire their passion and how they fight for their wrestlers?

Most everything is about perspective and I respect yours. I can see why Tom and Terrys occasional antics can drive some fans to disliking them.

I have brought it up. I’m not sure it’s possible to gain favor here when my name is hawkfan1986. That’s gonna be a tough one me thinks.

I posted on the RBY thread that I don’t hate him, I did say I’m glad he’s graduating. For obvious reason. I think that’s fair.

You seem intent on blaming me for everything that goes on at HR. I repeat, I can’t control what other people think and write.

I will not be upset with Brooks or CStar getting their 4th. I will be disappointed that Iowa doesn’t have anyone that can compete with them. I don’t often root for failure, I do root for Iowa success at the expense of Penn st. But you knew that, given my name. I’m sure this post will also do nothing for my favor over here.
I've probably been too harsh so I apologize. But the hypocrisy I saw this weekend was astounding (I'm not talking about you) I'm probably just projecting on to you but just find it funny Iowa fans condemned everyone for cheering for Spencer losing and then turn around and did the exact same thing when RBY lost his last match. Does RBY not going for 4 make it better?

As for gaining favor here, jrod65 has CHA as his logo and is literally one of the most loved posters.

You offered a thought experiment, so I’ll offer one as well. Let’s assume Cael Sanderson doesn’t exist. Head coach of the Nittany Lions is Tom and associate HC is Terry? Would you not admire their passion and how they fight for their wrestlers?
We would defend them to others while bitching amongst ourselves about replacing them.

giphy.gif

Since you're so offended, without looking it up, tell us some things about the Muslim religion. Otherwise, you're just faking outrage.
You are underestimating the large Population of Muslim people in the greater Davenport Iowa area 😆 🤣 😂

Gosh…if I wasn’t banned from your boards yesterday (for something I must’ve said 2 weeks ago), I would have loved to read all of the glowing admiration for RBY after his loss…

….in between all of the Sandusky/pedophile shit that all PSU fans must be all guilty of.

• Love
Reactions: danoftw and Ski
Hawkfan, I read the entire post and I get it. I think what a lot of people are missing is that everyone was talking about Spencer's loss. Everyone at the arena that night was buzzing about it. It didn't matter what shirt they were wearing.
But one thing I know is, everyone was talking about the reception he was going to get the next day. There were 17,000 people that wanted to give him a send off. Even if he had his sweats on and just shook hands with his opponent and MFF'ed out, he would have gotten the biggest applause of the day.
The fact that he wasn't visible to the crowd (even though he was reported to be there Saturday morning), resulted in the gossip and rumor mongering rather than the cheers he would have gotten.
That’s fair. No argument here. I would have loved to do the same.

I think if we look back to the soldier salute and his infamous “I’m done” comment we can start to see the bigger picture. Spencer was medically cleared to wrestle a week and a half before the ISU dual. By medically cleared I mean that doctors assessed that they believed the knees were goong to be strong enough to endure. This didn’t mean that we would wrestle without pain.

There’s more that I could say but I won’t. Spencer was in pain, in more ways than one.

Gosh…if I wasn’t banned from your boards yesterday (for something I must’ve said 2 weeks ago), I would have loved to read all of the glowing admiration for RBY after his loss…

….in between all of the Sandusky/pedophile shit that all PSU fans must be all guilty of.
There was one guy that stands out for mocking him. Evil monkey or someone like that, but for the most part it was relatively calm. I may be overlooking a few post, but that’s my general overall feeling.

I think Monkey is a March poster, and no one likes those guys. Ride of die mother trucker. He’s not one of them.

Are you referring to Tom or Terry yelling you don’t like tough wrestling during big tens? I think that was meant for the refs not Dylan. I believe anyway.

Certainly no one is perfect, including T and T and they do sometimes go overboard. I’m sure their passion is what Iowa fans love, but that’s all what opposing fans dislike.

Most everything is about perspective and I respect yours. I can see why Tom and Terrys occasional antics can drive some fans to disliking them.
I do not like any coach that displays the histrionics similar to T & T on the sidelines. I am more of the Chuck Noll than John Madden type. It is neither right nor wrong just a preference. You can fight for your athletes without attempting to intimidate, berate or abuse opponents or officials.

I think they are also a little bitter that even in defeat more people are talking about Spencer then are talking about Cael’s 10th. In reality, Spencer never asked to be popular. He just was. He didn’t wanna tell the world he was injured, he looked pissed to be saying it. Spencer never called himself the goat. He adamantly denied it. Spencer doesn’t do well with praise or adulation. He is respectful when he receives it, but no one can say he lives for it.

Many people love to see great men fail. Idk why, I’m sure there are a plethora of reason. My first sentence in the previous paragraph potentially being one of them. This quote comes to mind.

Maybe instead of criticizing Spencer for his publicity, that he didn’t want in the first place, we give credit and thanks for hours of entertainment. All wrestling fans respect him, until he does something that he can be criticized for. Let’s not forget, we are not in his arena. Not even close.
Never called himself the GOAT, adamantly denied it …

but participates in the cheekily (ironically) named GOAT Talk podcast.

Whether he’s yelling at Ragusin or the ref is beside the point. Is belittling the athlete in an empty gym where everyone watching can hear. Sean Bormet didn’t like it, and if he felt it over the top, enough to vouch for my viewpoint. He said something to the brother who was the teller after the match. It’s classless.

As to your thought experiment, don’t conflate passion with ignorance. Every single coach is passionate. They don’t act like meathead idiots. Would I take them? If it meant winning sure! But I wouldn’t have a hard time understanding why folks dance on their graves either. You want it both ways. Get to act like bullies when it goes well, cry about getting bullied when it falls apart.

Whether he’s yelling at Ragusin or the ref is beside the point. Is belittling the athlete in an empty gym where everyone watching can hear. Sean Bormet didn’t like it, and if he felt it over the top, enough to vouch for my viewpoint. He said something to the brother who was the teller after the match. It’s classless.

As to your thought experiment, don’t conflate passion with ignorance. Every single coach is passionate. They don’t act like meathead idiots. Would I take them? If it meant winning sure! But I wouldn’t have a hard time understanding why folks dance on their graves either. You want it both ways. Get to act like bullies when it goes well, cry about getting bullied when it falls apart.
Not sure what was going on with Buffalo, but the Buffalo assistant was very adamant about telling Terry (I think) to get the @#$% out of here. The boys were yelling something that pissed off the opposing coaches. Their antics do get set aside if they are told by someone to knock it off. Saying please I don't think carries much weight.

Reactions: Ski and donboy6499
Not sure what was going on with Buffalo, but the Buffalo assistant was very adamant about telling Terry (I think) to get the @#$% out of here. The boys were yelling something that pissed off the opposing coaches. Their antics do get set aside if they are told by someone to knock it off. Saying please I don't think carries much weight.
Just passionate, that’s all.

They are straight up bullies, and I’m finding the fanbase to act like them. Looking to bully, but boy when it falls apart, poor me.

Where he denied being a goat multiple times.
I think what's getting lost is that I don't think people are hammering on Spencer personally..
It's more slamming the douchebag fans that are hypocritical, this is where I believe most of it comes from..
Like I said earlier, if they would have handled it differently I think the applause for Spencer would have been very loud..
Most of the time Js is cranking on something here it's basically feeding those here the hypocritical takes..
(We all know he's a closet PennState fan even if he doesn't know)

Everyone that competes in the sport as family, friends, those that Walter, and those people really want to Luanne. When they lose, they feel the pain is their friend family member. He is no more better or special to anyone else and I don't care that he's going Straight tile. Be a lot of guys on the way home some dreams, and they had to learn to deal with it.
As for fans, Busting balls that's not usually my style, but peoples done it to me and people continue to do it forever. If you can't handle that part get a different hobby
For god’s sake, man, leave Walter and Luanne out of this!

Just passionate, that’s all.

They are straight up bullies, and I’m finding the fanbase to act like them. Looking to bully, but boy when it falls apart, poor me.
The twins have always done the bully thing until they get called on it. During Big10s in BJC when Mark Perry was a PSU assistant the Iowa corner was chirping at the PSU corner pretty hard. So Perry chirpped back pretty good and good Lord the twins feigned outrage that Perry would disrespect them. The PSU chirping stopped though, but they kept smack talking other coaches.
The twins acting the role of spoiled adolescent is not a new thing, but you are right it is old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT