ADVERTISEMENT

Sparty dumpster fires continues to get worse

From a public relations standpoint, our scandal is on a different level than the MSU scandal because the most well known face of the institution, Joe Paterno, was directly involved in the facts constituting the scandal and the indictment of Jerry Sandusky, who was famous in his own right. Further, football, rather than gymnastics, was the sport involved. Nobody every heard of the players involved in the MSU scandal prior to the scandal and, in general, the general public tends to care more about football than gymnastics.
Joe Paterno directly involved in facts? Hardly. Also, people spin Sandusky as a football/culture scandal when neither the football program, players nor any other sport was involved. At MSU, student athletes were involved and MSU officials were given contemporaneous first hand reports. The NCAA says there's nothing they can do about it as opposed to 2011 when they were willing to pound on any podium placed before them.

MSU may not have taken as large of a public relations hit as PSU did, but that is more the result of the nature of the scandal than it is the job that MSU is doing in handling the aftermath.

Completely disagree---see how Syracuse and Boeheim handled things. We, Penn State, failed.

Reactions: Nellie R and Ski
And the POS Delany who stated about PSU: "We have a moral obligation to do something to PSU." Moral obligation to do something to a retired employee who, when it was all said and done was convicted on 45 of 48 counts, none of the convictions when he was an employee of the university, and only one count occurred on PSU's campus. Yet the POS says NOTHING about an employee who has had hndreds of charges against him dealing with on campus kids....Delany needs a special place in hell reserved for him...

In "fairness" Izzo, and Dantonio are not involved with gymnastics. Yes I do get that Paterno did not run Sandusky's organization, nor was he a witness to what happened. In addition to that, he also forwarded information to the administration. I think the perception, fair or not (not mine btw), is that Paterno was such a fixture at PSU that he had to know and had the power to stop it.

Maybe their are too many of us (general society) that want need, someone to burn whether involved or not. Whether guilty or not. Does not seem to matter what the issue is.

The hope, going is that the MSU situation will shed light on the importance of safe guards for youth/ student athletes and integrity within an administration. What is scary is that nobody knows how many MSU situations there are out there.

How does an administration integrate safety/ protection measures to ensure things like this are stopped as soon as possible, or better yet all together? I don't want to say much more, because the situation is still evolving.

Nice passive-aggressive anti PSU post. I'd expect nothing less from a fan of one of the 4 schools that voted against us joining your plow boy conference.

Joe Paterno directly involved in facts? Hardly.

Joe Paterno’s conversation with Mike Mcqueary, whatever was said, and whatever actions Paterno took after the conversation was what the general public latched onto when claiming a football coverup was involved and what has been discussed endlessly on this board. People may disagree as to what the facts are, but there is no arguing about Paterno being involved in those facts.

Joe Paterno’s conversation with Mike Mcqueary, whatever was said, and whatever actions Paterno took after the conversation was what the general public latched onto when claiming a football coverup was involved and what has been discussed endlessly on this board. People may disagree as to what the facts are, but there is no arguing about Paterno being involved in those facts.
True...but Joe did what the NCAA concluded after two years of investigation: take the report, report it to the AD (Curley) and make sure someone outside the sports vertical also knew (Schultz). Then, get out of the way.

Curley and Schutz reported it to TSM. This would be the natural conclusion to report it too. Apparently, they didn't report it to CYS or whoever you believe the "police" to be (although Schultz office, at the time, was described as the "top cop" and in charge of all campus police resources).

So the MSM pinning this on Joe is a complete crime, IMHO. Curley? Schultz? Spanier? I understand the problems...but blaming it on Joe was just the press wanting to sell clicks and the BOT/Politicos creating a shiny object to keep it off themselves.

Nice passive-aggressive anti PSU post. I'd expect nothing less from a fan of one of the 4 schools that voted against us joining your plow boy conference.

I see nothing wrong with ST8Gopherfan's post. Based on my experience, he is consistently fair to PSU and classy when the two schools play in hockey, football, etc.

Was this what the general public latched onto or was it what ESPN, CNN and the rest of the main stream media schmuck's latched onto and fed a 12 second attention span general public on a 24/7 loop for weeks?

True...but Joe did what the NCAA concluded after two years of investigation: take the report, report it to the AD (Curley) and make sure someone outside the sports vertical also knew (Schultz). Then, get out of the way.

Curley and Schutz reported it to TSM. This would be the natural conclusion to report it too. Apparently, they didn't report it to CYS or whoever you believe the "police" to be (although Schultz office, at the time, was described as the "top cop" and in charge of all campus police resources).

So the MSM pinning this on Joe is a complete crime, IMHO. Curley? Schultz? Spanier? I understand the problems...but blaming it on Joe was just the press wanting to sell clicks and the BOT/Politicos creating a shiny object to keep it off themselves.

I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. I was merely pointing out that Joe Paterno's involvement and the fact that Sandusky was a former, well known assistant football coach for many years made the PSU scandal a much more difficult public relations issue than the current MSU scandal which, from MSU's standpoint, involves a bunch of formerly unknown people. The media isn't calling for heads of people that nobody knows because it simply doesn't resonate with readers.

Reactions: Obliviax
I don't disagree with anything that you are saying. I was merely pointing out that Joe Paterno's involvement and the fact that Sandusky was a former, well known assistant football coach for many years made the PSU scandal a much more difficult public relations issue than the current MSU scandal which, from MSU's standpoint, involves a bunch of formerly unknown people. The media isn't calling for heads of people that nobody knows because it simply doesn't resonate with readers.

OK, got it...fair enough. Perhaps I misread or read you post out of context. Thanks.

Was this what the general public latched onto or was it what ESPN, CNN and the rest of the main stream media schmuck's latched onto and fed a 12 second attention span general public on a 24/7 loop for weeks?

Is there a difference? I would use the general public and the main stream media interchangeably with respect to the Sandusky scandal because I believe the main stream media's view of the scandal is the same as the view of the general public. My post was not meant to leave out the main stream media.

Is there a difference? I would use the general public and the main stream media interchangeably with respect to the Sandusky scandal because I believe the main stream media's view of the scandal is the same as the view of the general public. My post was not meant to leave out the main stream media.

I guess my point is that it was framed a certain way by the media essentially leading the public to a conclusion that they didn't have the interest or depth of knowledge to try and refute. The media frames it different, perhaps the general public views it differently. But the media is a business all about ratings and money, not truth. Whatever they decide to spew becomes the truth whether it is or not.

From a public relations standpoint, our scandal is on a different level than the MSU scandal because the most well known face of the institution, Joe Paterno, was directly involved in the facts constituting the scandal and the indictment of Jerry Sandusky, who was famous in his own right. Further, football, rather than gymnastics, was the sport involved. Nobody every heard of the players involved in the MSU scandal prior to the scandal and, in general, the general public tends to care more about football than gymnastics.

From a public relations standpoint, PSU's scandal was a much larger problem than MSU's scandal due to the people involved and the attention that the scandal would attract. So you are not comparing apples to apples when you stated in your earlier post that MSU is doing a much better job in the aftermath of the scandal. MSU may not have taken as large of a public relations hit as PSU did, but that is more the result of the nature of the scandal than it is the job that MSU is doing in handling the aftermath.

I'll also go on record, as I have before, that because it was man on boy instead of man on girl it got much bigger press.

Reactions: bison13
If you are saying that PSU should have let Paterno speak face to face and unfiltered, I think you need to look no further than what happened when Paterno made the statement "[w]ith the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more." That sentence was part of a prepared statement by Paterno which has been used countless times out of context to skewer Paterno. Joe was already, due to his age, a shadow of the man he was earlier. Imagine what he could have said off the top of head that would have been used against him.

Given the nature of the allegations and his involvement in the facts, it was not in Paterno's best interest to allow him to give an open interview. Dantonio's situation was much different.

and oddly enough Lou Ann Simon said almost exactly the same thing and...crickets.

Reactions: Gnat91
I'll also go on record, as I have before, that because it was man on boy instead of man on girl it got much bigger press.
I kind of agree....I think the anal rape is part of that. And it if was a girl in the shower, that wouldn't have been alleged or the assumption. (personally, I find the story about anal rape to be next to impossible given MM's testimony and suspect that JS was simply rubbing himself on the boy, which is sick in and of itself, of course). I also wonder how bad it would have been if it were pre-teen girls. I suspect it would have been close to the same in terms of public outrage. The public issue was more about the press selling Paterno's face, IMHO>

Yep. I'm willing to bet if you poll 50 random people less than 30% could tell you who the Larry Nassar is or who he worked for.

That has nothing to do with the way that MSU has handled the scandal which was what began this line of discussion. If less than 30% can tell you who Nassar is or who he worked for as you stated, that is because nobody knew who Nassar was or who he worked before the scandal. The fact that 30% may know who he is and who he worked for after the scandal speaks to the damage caused by the scandal and whether or not MSU is doing a good job handling the scandal.

Reactions: Nellie R
That has nothing to do with the way that MSU has handled the scandal which was what began this line of discussion. If less than 30% can tell you who Nassar is or who he worked for as you stated, that is because nobody knew who Nassar was or who he worked before the scandal. The fact that 30% may know who he is and who he worked for after the scandal speaks to the damage caused by the scandal and whether or not MSU is doing a good job handling the scandal.

No I think it speaks more to who was involved and that there were certain entities both at PSU and ESPN that wanted to see Paterno burn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnat91 and bison13
One of the more disgusting things about this whole msu deal is, BECAUSE they had no "Paterno" the media isn't giving this scandal one iota of the coverage that they did PSU..all the talking heads that though what went on with Sandusky was horrific are basically silent about msu and that's bullshit. They couldn't care less about those women .. They want someone to bring down. High profile scandals sell ...the media are a bunch of scumbags.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown

You are incorrect.

Minnesota voted FOR Penn State to join the B1G. They were among the 7 votes for (PSU would have failed if the vote was 6-4: PSU needed at least two-thirds of the votes to be yes).

The 3 no votes were from Michigan, MSU and Indiana.

If you're going to insult our Minnesota-visitor, you should at least get your facts straight!

You are incorrect.

Minnesota voted FOR Penn State to join the B1G. They were among the 7 votes for (PSU would have failed if the vote was 6-4: PSU needed at least two-thirds of the votes to be yes).

The 3 no votes were from Michigan, MSU and Indiana.

If you're going to insult our Minnesota-visitor, you should at least get your facts straight!

Thanks! That is what my feeble memory recalls as well. In addition, we added the ultimate University of Minnesota compliment. We were the first to request a trophy game with PSU. Seeing we "started" the trophy game thingy with the LBJ (Little Brown Jug) vs Michigan, that is indeed a compliment. I just wish the trophy wasn't so generic.

Reactions: bison13
Thanks! That is what my feeble memory recalls as well. In addition, we added the ultimate University of Minnesota compliment. We were the first to request a trophy game with PSU. Seeing we "started" the trophy game thingy with the LBJ (Little Brown Jug) vs Michigan, that is indeed a compliment. I just wish the trophy wasn't so generic.

Just be glad its not the "Land Grant Trophy" eeehhh gads that thing is horrid.

FWIW, Rick Bay was initially a bit grumpy about Penn State. He had a couple on the record quotes as to such. His primary concern was distance - which is a fair concern. 1000+ mile wide conferences weren't really a thing back then (like they are now).

But he was, of course, the athletic director. It was the Presidents who actually voted.

Nils Hasselmo's "yes vote" was ever really in question. And Bay came around --- you are correct, he was a proponent of the "Victory Bell" game.

Northwestern was the "swing vote" on Penn State. Michigan and Indiana were always strong "no"s. MSU was a weaker "no" but still a "no." The other 6 schools were all strong "yes" votes (Illinois being the strongest of all).

I've always enjoyed being in a conference with Minnesota. Good school, and no issues. Just a ways away from Pennsylvania.

FWIW, Rick Bay was initially a bit grumpy about Penn State. He had a couple on the record quotes as to such. His primary concern was distance - which is a fair concern. 1000+ mile wide conferences weren't really a thing back then (like they are now).

But he was, of course, the athletic director. It was the Presidents who actually voted.

Nils Hasselmo's "yes vote" was ever really in question. And Bay came around --- you are correct, he was a proponent of the "Victory Bell" game.

Northwestern was the "swing vote" on Penn State. Michigan and Indiana were always strong "no"s. MSU was a weaker "no" but still a "no." The other 6 schools were all strong "yes" votes (Illinois being the strongest of all).

I've always enjoyed being in a conference with Minnesota. Good school, and no issues. Just a ways away from Pennsylvania.
Good post and totally agree.

I honestly don't have any problems with schools that didn't want us, I didn't want to join the B1G either. But, for the most part, I have to agree it was good for PSU (if not PSU football). But what MSU's president, and others did, is unforgivable IMHO.

It was not 7-3. It was 6-3-1. Wisconsin abstained.

It was not 7-3. It was 6-3-1. Wisconsin abstained.

Do you have a source on that?

Not saying you're wrong --- but as I recall, Donna Shalala (the then-Wisconsin President) was a rather vocal supporter of Penn State, and was actually wearing a Penn State ballcap at the announcement press conference. Would seem odd for someone who abstained.

Good post and totally agree.

I honestly don't have any problems with schools that didn't want us, I didn't want to join the B1G either. But, for the most part, I have to agree it was good for PSU (if not PSU football). But what MSU's president, and others did, is unforgivable IMHO.

Yeah, Simon. Well, if one believes in karma, things have been "settled." Penn State football thrives while her academic career is over.

One thing that's always struck me: I've never gotten a ton of crap about Paterno from other fans but MUCH of the crap I have received has come from Michigan State fans. Including the game this year in East Lansing. (I didn't say anything back but I did whisper to my brother, who I attended the game with, "they DO realize they have a Larry Nassar problem, right?")

Michigan State fans --- in MANY things --- do "arch their backs like a cat." They're nearly always insecure and they nearly always feel threatened. That's part of the reason MSU fans (and their President) were more willing than most to hammer Penn State.

Help me out here. Weren't our Governors involved? Hence the Name Governors Victory Bell?

Just be glad its not the "Land Grant Trophy" eeehhh gads that thing is horrid.

Let's be glad it wasn't this...

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/...t-vs-fiction-iowa-hawkeye-iowa-state-cyclones

* I think they changed/ never went with this, but they considered it...

Cy-Hawk-Trophy.0.jpg

Engler is actually telling the truth. Denhollander is basically a poser as far as being the "heroine" of this case. She's not. Kyle Stephens, Nassar's family acquaintance victim is, and possible some of the other young Janes Does who are still underage who did not go public. He was offending in his home. Stephens reported to all the right entities for years and never gave up. Michigan CPS failed her and so did the Michigan Medical Board. Judge Rosemarie Aquilina agrees with me. Rachael Denhollander's role in the case was to help prosecutors nab him on Kyle's charges, during which assistance Denhollander showed the detectives HOW NASSAR HID WHAT HE WAS DOING. That's it. That's Denhollander's contribution, as well as empowering the gymnasts in the case to come forward. However, Nassar was already bagged and tagged on federal pornography charges and Kyle's charges and the rest of the women didn't have to do anything at all except give their impact statements. If she wanted to make an impact she and all of John C Manly's clients (think Andrew Shubin) would have been suing Michigan Health and Human Services and the Michigan Medical Board, and promoting proper legislation. Her husband JJ is also a gaslighter posing as a "Christian". Perhaps he wants to become the next Joel Osteen with all his MSU money when he gets it. I have , if I want to, plenty of evidence for a defamation case against him, but I don't think I can afford Libby Locke. If you people are going to talk about this, perhaps you should learn the actual Nassar case. Just a thought.

Michigan State interim President John Engler, in a private email to a top adviser, accused a prominent Nassar survivor - Rachael Denhollander - of getting kickbacks from the trial attorneys involved in lawsuits against the school.

In the same string of emails, Engler's top aide — Carol Viventi — accused MSU board member Brian Mossalam of not doing a good enough job of protecting Engler. The Free Press obtained the emails from a source within the Engler administration. The Chronicle of Higher Education first obtained the emails under a Freedom of Information Act request.

The emails drew swift response, including two calls questioning why Engler was still at the school.

For my "Rose McGowan" fans, I post this new story with no implication that I endorse MSU, Engler, Denhollander, NCAA Gymnastics or any other associated group or issue (just to be clear).

disaster-gif-1.gif

Last edited:
Engler is actually telling the truth. Denhollander is basically a poser as far as being the "heroine" of this case. She's not. Kyle Stephens, Nassar's family acquaintance victim is, and possible some of the other young Janes Does who are still underage who did not go public. He was offending in his home. Stephens reported to all the right entities and never gave up. Michigan CPS failed her and so did the Michigan Medical Board. Judge Rosemarie Aquilina agrees with me. Rachael Denhollander's role in the case was to help prosecutors nab him on Kyle's charges, during which assistance Denhollander showed the detectives HOW NASSAR HID WHAT HE WAS DOING. That's it. That's Denhollander's contribution, as well as empowering the gymnasts in the case to come forward. However, Nassar was already bagged and tagged on federal pornography charges and Kyle's charges and the rest of the women didn't have to do anything at all except give their impact statements. If she wanted to make an impact she and all of John C Manly's clients (think Andrew Shubin) would have been suing Michigan Health and Human Services and the Michigan Medical Board, and promoting proper legislation Her husband JJ is also a gaslighter posing as a "Christian". Perhaps he wants to become the next Joel Osteen. I have , if I want to, plenty of evidence for a defamation case against him, but I don't think I can afford Libby Locke. If you people are going to talk about this, perhaps you should learn the actual Nassar case. Just a thought.
Fair enough....the text is my post is a direct cut and paste from a newspaper article. If it is not accurate, I am not surprised.

Fair enough....the text is my post is a direct cut and paste from a newspaper article. If it is not accurate, I am not surprised.
Round up the usual suspects. Jack Stripling of the Chronicle of Lower Education who made an a$$ out of himself wrt the Spanier trial started this. He was the one bragging on Twitter about his Coffee Klatches in Harrisburg with Scolforo Thompson et al. and then running around pushing a microphone in Spanier's face , then attacking Albert Lord for making a true statement about the witness Dirtbag Ditka paraded around that had nothing whatsoever to do with the Spanier case. He had all the documents before he ever came to Harrisburg to read and get up to speed before he arrived. HE decided to opt for clicks not kids instead.

Help me out here. Weren't our Governors involved? Hence the Name Governors Victory Bell?

I think so. Joint effort among PSU, Minnesota and the two governors.

That 1993 Minnesota @ PSU game was the very first PSU game I went to - a couple weeks after I started my undergrad career at Penn State. I grew up in B1G country (Detroit) and B1G football was one of my favorite things growing up. Then I've been able to see up close the entire PSU B1G experience.

Most of what I know about the PSU expansion vote was through experience (it definitely wasn't very well received in Michigan) and then outside research. The PSU/B1G marriage is not a perfect marriage, as most marriages aren't But I do think both PSU and the B1G have been better for it.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
A very true statement. They are fighting back against the BS and PSU's leadership never did.

Can you advise exactly what MSU is doing that makes you believe "they are fighting back against the BS." I really have no idea because I haven't been following the scandal that closely. However, I do know that MSU set aside $500 Million for settlement with the victims and they have forced the resignation of people who were in any way connected to the scandal, including the president and athletic director.

From my knowledge of what MSU has done in response to the scandal (which is admittedly limited to what I stated above), they appear to be in full retreat, admitting fault and eliminating anyone with oversight responsibilities during the time that the monster roamed the campus. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

That 1993 Minnesota @ PSU game was the very first PSU game I went to - a couple weeks after I started my undergrad career at Penn State. I grew up in B1G country (Detroit) and B1G football was one of my favorite things growing up. Then I've been able to see up close the entire PSU B1G experience.

Most of what I know about the PSU expansion vote was through experience (it definitely wasn't very well received in Michigan) and then outside research. The PSU/B1G marriage is not a perfect marriage, as most marriages aren't But I do think both PSU and the B1G have been better for it.

What PSU brings besides market share, is academic and athletic excellence. I was born into Gopher fandom, but i've always admired PSU. I have a paper back book about PSU football and training tucked away in a storage box somewhere that goes back to high school. Yes it has some years on it. Growing up, Lydell Mitchell was one of my favorite running backs. He was ahead of his time. He was an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Regarding Pennsylvania in general, while located in the east, it seems like the people from the state are much like people from the greater midwest. I am guessing it is due to many residents having ancestors from the same regions.

The Gopher ties to the state are Sandy Stephens, and Judge Dickson. They were both part of the last National Championship squad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Stephens
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032707aaa.html

Anyway, the beauty of the BigTen conference, is tradition. It is great to see so many schools with long and rich traditions.

Cheers!

Reactions: ChiTownLion

Nicely done seeing that was the first BigTen Game! That team was very good and gave us a glimpse of what was to become the next season. Still can't believe the 1994 team wasn't MNC's.

Reactions: michnittlion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT