ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest Emergency Landing

Went home for lunch and caught that on the news. Yeah, it looked pretty nasty. Looks like they had a convoy of ambulances leaving the plane with passengers. Hopefully, everyone is just shaken up and nothing more serious.

Southwest uses older 737s I believe and they go through a lot more cycles (take off and landing) than most airlines. Good for costs, but it's not always good for maintainance.

Went home for lunch and caught that on the news. Yeah, it looked pretty nasty. Looks like they had a convoy of ambulances leaving the plane with passengers. Hopefully, everyone is just shaken up and nothing more serious.

Southwest uses older 737s I believe and they go through a lot more cycles (take off and landing) than most airlines. Good for costs, but it's not always good for maintainance.

Southwest planes do go through a lot of cycles --- today's plane (N772SW registration) flew NINE flights just yesterday. Vegas to San Diego to Vegas to Boise to Sacramento to Vegas to Denver to Vegas to Phoenix to Nashville. That's quite a few.

That said, I highly doubt that Southwest skimps on maintenance.

Also of possible note --- Southwest flight 3472 in August 2016 had a remarkably similar incident to today. That was uncontained engine failure at 31K feet while climbing out of New Orleans. That plane is N766SW on its registration. Very similar registration to today's airplane. Both planes were delivered to Southwest in the summer of 2000. May be a coincidence, but may also be a connection there.

Southwest planes do go through a lot of cycles --- today's plane (N772SW registration) flew NINE flights just yesterday. Vegas to San Diego to Vegas to Boise to Sacramento to Vegas to Denver to Vegas to Phoenix to Nashville. That's quite a few.

Also of possible note --- Southwest flight 3472 in August 2016 had a remarkably similar incident to today. That was uncontained engine failure at 31K feet while climbing out of New Orleans. That plane is N766SW on its registration. Very similar registration to today's airplane. Both planes were delivered to Southwest in the summer of 2000. May be a coincidence, but may also be a connection there.
Construction flaw? Could be.

edit- and I didn't say they skimp on maintenance - I said it's tough on maintenance. 9 cycles the day before and who knows how many before that and how many planned after today. It puts pressure on the maintenance crew to keep with everything given such short down times.

Also, the plane left LGA this morning. So, it had to get from Nashville to LGA. So that makes 10.

Last edited:
This news is very upsetting to me... I fly well over 100 flight segments a year on SWA and often sit in that exact seat (over wing with extra legroom). In fact I am flying later today from Dallas Love to Mexico City. Very tragic news now hearing passenger is dead. SWA has had an exemplary safety record.

Do you live in Sarasota, or are you just visiting here?
We visit the Bradenton/Sarasota area (Anna Maria) a few times a year. This was for a future trip. We had booked a flight down on Southwest, but delayed booking the return flight because the direct flight times home weren't suitable. Then in the meantime Allegiant began direct service to/from Sarasota/Bradenton, so we decided to give them a try for the trip back to Pgh. Then came the 60 minutes report.....

So, after the 60 minutes report on Allegiant, I cancel a flight we had booked from Sarasota to Pittsburgh. Decide to eat the cost and take the "safe" alternative and book a flight home from Tampa on Southwest.

Yeah, that was quite a 60 Minutes segment.....gives one SO MUCH confidence in the FAA.

That said, it is truly amazing that you are SO MUCH SAFER actually flying than you are going to and coming from the airport.

That information is actually very disturbing.

The very similar timelines for planes that had similar incidents: that may just be a coincidence. Kind of a eye-opening coincidence, yes. But I follow aviation as a hobby but please don't take me as an aviation expert.

I don't know if an airplane would have the same engines 17-18 years after its initial delivery. Parts will be replaced, of course. A whole new engine, I don't know.

I know there are a couple pilots here on the board (I forget their user names), so hopefully they can chime in.

The very similar timelines for planes that had similar incidents: that may just be a coincidence. I follow aviation as a hobby but please don't take me as an aviation expert.

I know there are a couple pilots here on the board (I forget their user names), so hopefully they can chime in.

I don't know if an airplane would have the same engines 17-18 years after its initial delivery. Parts will be replaced, of course. A whole new engine, I don't know.

Engines are mandated to be replaced every so many hours of flight time, based on manufacturer's specs. The planes are also taken apart bolt by bolt, inspected and then put back together as a separate maintenance requirement.

Hey Sherlock - appreciate your conspiracy theory, but there’s little chance those CFMI engines on those MY2000 seven-threes are factory-original... #noconnection #duh

Hey Sherlock - appreciate your conspiracy theory, but there’s little chance those CFMI engines on those MY2000 seven-threes are factory-original... #noconnection #duh

Thank you. I stand corrected. The NTSB investigation has already concluded, and someone on BWI has access to their conclusions.

" the life limited parts must be replaced, after 20,000 cycles for the hot section , 25,000 for the axial compressor and 30,000 for the fan and booster for a recent CFM56 "

The plane itself has over 37k cycles.

I fly regularly and don't mind it, but my wife and mother hate it and are scared to death. I finally convinced them we should fly to Disney World for our trip next month. Of course it's on Southwest, and of course this happened weeks before we go. Looks like a heavier dose of Xanax in store for them.

Reactions: PSU77sh and nits74
The dead woman was partially sucked through the window-hole. People literally pulled her out of the hole.
She should have kept her seat belt fastened as the attendants instructed her to do so before the plane even took off.

We all will die, eventually, as a result of our actions or inactions :)

Aside from that, who willingly flies Southwest Airlines?

Sure their fares are a bit less expensive, but you have to live with what you purchase, including those around you.

Allegiant has been on the news often in Tampa. I took a flight from Clearwater to Harrisburg and back once and it was crazy convenient but also scary. The planes are very old. They have had a rash of maintenance issues. I won't fly them again.

And I can't wait to get on a Southwest flight in two days!

Delta 5507 made an emergency landing today at Dulles --- blew out a left tire on takeoff.

That plane took off from LGA too, only 12 minutes after the Southwest flight. Southwest damage was on the left-side of the plane.

At the risk of being once again called a "conspiracy theorist", that's certainly a coincidence. Perhaps some runway debris at LGA caused the 2nd incident (something broke off Southwest 1380 on takeoff)?

Last edited:

Here's a picture (she's on the left):

cx645qef6mujvlg2ktr8.png

Reactions: mikeinpenna
I believe this was the first ever death in the 50+ years that Southwest Airlines has been flying.

While I’m sure that’s meaningless to the deceased’s family and friends, it’s a pretty remarkable statement!

I believe this was the first ever death in the 50+ years that Southwest Airlines has been flying.

While I’m sure that’s meaningless to the deceased’s family and friends, it’s a pretty remarkable statement!

A young boy (in a car w/ his Mom) died when a Southwest plane overran the runway on landing at Midway in 2005 (in the snow).

This is Southwest's first death of an on-board passenger.

The record of US commercial airlines over the last 10 years has been VERY good. First death of a passenger on a US-based commercial airline since the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo in February 2009.

That record is worth noting, and a credit to the industry.as a whole.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Correct....I am platinum on United and every time I fly I am still amazed that they can pack a couple hundred people in a big tube, weighed down with a ton of luggage, and get that whole thing from coast to coast with infinitesimal number of people getting killed or injured. And that goes on worldwide in many crappy third world countries.

In my mind, perhaps the most amazing feat of mankind to date.

A young boy (in a car w/ his Mom) died when a Southwest plane overran the runway on landing at Midway in 2005 (in the snow).

This is Southwest's first death of an on-board passenger.

The record of US commercial airlines over the last 10 years has been VERY good. First death of a passenger on a US-based commercial airline since the Colgan Air crash in Buffalo in February 2009.

That record is worth noting, and a credit to the industry.as a whole.

Considering that there are over 42,000 flights and 2,500,000+ passengers DAILY.....the safety record is nothing short of a miracle!

Reactions: wbcincy
In my mind, perhaps the most amazing feat of mankind to date.

Agree.

Outside of some truly remote places (Antarctica, top of Mt Everest) or places with political/visa complications, you or I or anyone else can basically be anywhere on land on the planet within 48 hours. All because of the robust and incredibly safe aviation industry.

This news is very upsetting to me... I fly well over 100 flight segments a year on SWA and often sit in that exact seat (over wing with extra legroom). In fact I am flying later today from Dallas Love to Mexico City. Very tragic news now hearing passenger is dead. SWA has had an exemplary safety record.
You have a 100x better chance of dying on Dallas Toll 10 or even getting robbed and stabbed on Mockingbird Lane than you do of even bumping your head from turbulence in a SW flight

Reactions: mn78psu83

Any way to know which gate that SW flight left Denver yesterday? I left Denver to Austin Yesterday at 8:10pm from Gate 49 and I believe the prior flight left from the same gate to Vegas at 7 with Phoenix as the continuing jump. Would be cool if that was the plane and I can really freak out the wife for future trips (she does not understand or believe in probability theory so statistics are meaningless)

If I recall correctly, FAA changed regs a few years back to permit airlines to maintenance their fleets abroad. One of the more contentious points of the change was the facilities overseas did not require the same qualifications. Rather than all having a certain certification, the shop only had to be supervised by one who has the correct certification.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT