ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Manny Diaz to Duke may be a done deal.

seems like an iffy move because they have only rarely had good seasons, but it is not bad for Franklin because he can now point to three or four coordinators who came here and then became head coaches. he will have no problem finding a replacement

Reactions: NedFromYork
Duke needs to win with innovative Offense....they are not going to get the talent to win on defense. an innovative OC that has had high end offenses for the past 4-5 years should be the target.

They were winning with a good defense this year until the QB got hurt.

However, count the failures prior. As has been said, it's not a guaranteed stepping stone job after a guy just used it.

It is my hope that Manny stays on board here with the understanding he is the next hc at PSU after Franklin leaves or retires. Give Manny a title that recognizes that and give him a few more dollars.
So he’s going to hang around as a DC for 8 more years just because he has a title?

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
Duke can, and has been a stepping stone to higher level programs.

Steve Spurrier had a college football path of assistant coaching jobs (including Offensive Coordinator at Duke) followed by USFL head coach with Tampa Bay, then back to Duke as Head Coach for 3 years, and then to Florida where he won a National Championship.

Mike Elko had surprising success at Duke, and moved on to Texas A&M, where he'll have plenty of resources to compete at a top level.

So, it can be a step along the way or could be a comfortable destination for someone who likes the school and the area, and manages to win more than he loses.
Diaz was head coach at Miami. I think he could do better if he waits.

I was on the duke site seems they think it’s the Michigan guy

I’m surprised Diaz wasn’t considered for Miss St (that we know of) considering he had coached there in the past.

Duke sounds like a great place to coach. Cutcliffe lasted like 13 years and was 20 games under .500.

It is my hope that Manny stays on board here with the understanding he is the next hc at PSU after Franklin leaves or retires. Give Manny a title that recognizes that and give him a few more dollars.
Franklin is 2 years older than Manny--why is he staying until Franklin retires?
He also shouldn't be guaranteed the HC job ever--we've seen how that worked in the past and why that doesn't exist now.

If it’s true I wish him the best too. I also think this could well be a career mistake.
Yeah, I'm not sold it would be a good career move for him? He maybe better staying here another year and then bolting for a good hc opportunity? Buy the way, has he ever stated he wants to be hc again?

Yeah, I'm not sold it would be a good career move for him? He maybe better staying here another year and then bolting for a good hc opportunity? Buy the way, has he ever stated he wants to be hc again?

If he hadn’t previously, he’s clearly signaled it by speaking with Duke. Hope he holds out another season for something a bit bigger.

Duke would be a good spot and pretty secure compared to others.. great area, too. Manny would roar in Durham.

I might think a 3rd year coaching the level of defense he has coached yields him a better HC job than Duke.

Wish him well if he leaves. He's been special and deserves to go where he wants.
The Florida job very well may open up after next season. Although banking on future vacancies is risky business but I agree that he's likely to get consideration at better programs than Duke in the future, and he should have good stats next season too with the talent we have returning.

Reactions: doctornick
Yes, he has said he wants to be a head coach but it would have to be the right place and fit for him.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Supposedly Duke is down two candidates and will decide in the next 48 per Adam Rowe Duke Insider. That was yesterday, not sure who the final two are though.

Supposedly Duke is down two candidates and will decide in the next 48 per Adam Rowe Duke Insider. That was yesterday, not sure who the final two are though.
I heard that the tOSU DC is still in the mix as well. Jim Knowles. He was DC at Duke ten or so years ago.

Reactions: dukecorey
It was a short and sweet ride. Thank you Manny. Duke is lucky to have you.
Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by GreetPool

I’ll say it again … Elijah Robinson

Many of Those highly touted Philly kids we have been losing out on will make their way to happy valley if he’s in town

I know he just took the Syracuse job, but we could pry him away easily

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
I’ll say it again … Elijah Robinson

Many of Those highly touted Philly kids we have been losing out on will make their way to happy valley if he’s in town

I know he just took the Syracuse job, but we could pry him away easily
Hell, Diaz took the Temple HC job then bolted right away for Miami

I remember when Joe used to focus on keeping his staff together. IIRC he told the administration he wasn't worried about his pay or a contract, just take care of his staff.

Time has sure changed. Somebody would have to look it up but it seems like the average tenure for Franklin's coordinators is about 2 years.

Reactions: 81b&w
You know we won't just be losing a DC, he will probably also poach some of the staff. Who will be on his list??

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT