ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Manny Diaz to Duke may be a done deal.

41t63VyEQNL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Too bad. He's one of those guys who is a better coordinator.
He will be entering the prime years of his coaching career at the age of 49. It is in his best interest to get another hc gig now. Unless he knew Franklin was moving on or retiring in the next year or two and he was promised the PSU hc, he would be wasting time as our dc. I wish him the best.

Reactions: blair10
He will be entering the prime years of his coaching career at the age of 49. It is in his best interest to get another hc gig now. Unless he knew Franklin was moving on or retiring in the next year or two and he was promised the PSU hc, he would be wasting time as our dc. I wish him the best.
Agreed. I think CJF was happy to get two years out of Manny.

Duke, IMHO, is a great gig for him. It is a great school in a great place with lots to sell. He'll have a good schedule next year with some patsies and his most difficult games will be NW, FSU, NC, SMU, Miam, and NCState. Winning the conference will certainly get you into the 12 team playoff next year.

And if he kills it at Duke, it will be on to one of the blue blood schools, if he wishes. But Duke would be a great place to coach 20 years until retirement.

If it’s true I wish him the best too. I also think this could well be a career mistake.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
source? not seeing anything on this anywhere.
As near as I can tell this is a twitter rumor that seems to be based on the fact that the video marketing department's account at Duke has started following Diaz (that seems like I'm kidding but I'm not).

Doesn't seem like a super solid rumor but it doesn't preclude Diaz from being Dook bound.

Good luck to Manny if true, workout for both sides the last two years.

I think Duke is a lousy choice for him but seems like the best option if he was determined to cash in this off-season (especially once A&M was off the table which was really the only kinda big name program out there). I think given the choices, he’d be better off waiting another year until better programs manifested an opening but it makes sense “strike while the iron is hot”

I think Duke is a lousy choice for him but seems like the best option if he was determined to cash in this off-season (especially once A&M was off the table which was really the only kinda big name program out there). I think given the choices, he’d be better off waiting another year until better programs manifested an opening but it makes sense “strike while the iron is hot”

just for the sake of argument, you think it is better for him to be a DC at PSU instead of a HC at Duke in order to get a coveted gold ring (One of the top ten programs HC positions)?

just for the sake of argument, you think it is better for him to be a DC at PSU instead of a HC at Duke in order to get a coveted gold ring (One of the top ten programs HC positions)?
Duke can, and has been a stepping stone to higher level programs.

Steve Spurrier had a college football path of assistant coaching jobs (including Offensive Coordinator at Duke) followed by USFL head coach with Tampa Bay, then back to Duke as Head Coach for 3 years, and then to Florida where he won a National Championship.

Mike Elko had surprising success at Duke, and moved on to Texas A&M, where he'll have plenty of resources to compete at a top level.

So, it can be a step along the way or could be a comfortable destination for someone who likes the school and the area, and manages to win more than he loses.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Based on what Elko just did...no

Duke can, and has been a stepping stone to higher level programs.

Steve Spurrier had a college football path of assistant coaching jobs (including Offensive Coordinator at Duke) followed by USFL head coach with Tampa Bay, then back to Duke as Head Coach for 3 years, and then to Florida where he won a National Championship.

Mike Elko had surprising success at Duke, and moved on to Texas A&M, where he'll have plenty of resources to compete at a top level.

So, it can be a step along the way or could be a comfortable destination for someone who likes the school and the area, and manages to win more than he loses.
Agreed. And Duke would be a great place to hang your hat for a decade or more if Manny is more aligned with Paterno-ball (mold men and be competitive) than chasing a Natty. The previous coach was making between $7m and $9m per year. How much more do you need? At some point, quality of life has to be considered.

If he leaves, go out and get someone better. Wanna beat Ohio State and Michigan? Act like they do. Improve.

Reactions: Ian
Agreed. And Duke would be a great place to hang your hat for a decade or more if Manny is more aligned with Paterno-ball (mold men and be competitive) than chasing a Natty. The previous coach was making between $7m and $9m per year. How much more do you need? At some point, quality of life has to be considered.
The Research Triangle is a great area to live and Duke has had a track record of growth for coaches.

Now that they have tasted some football continued success it is reasonable to think they may tap into more NIL to get key players like QB/RB/WR/DT/LB/Safety. Kind of like the old baseball adage of "being strong up the middle" (eg Catcher, Pitcher, SS, CF).

Duke will continue to be attractive to Grad Transfers and those who did well at other top D1 peers / Ivy's. We had a thread on who they got in the portal last year awhile ago.

My gut is that he may be hedging his bet that being Schiano-like at Duke is a long term job and if he hits a double or triple he can move up the ladder. He's gone from Hero to Zero twice- first with Texas and then with Miami. While we'd miss him, and he may likely have better brand options next off season, Duke seems to check the boxes for a smart move.

Wish him well- he has earned our gratitude.

Duke historically is a poor stepping stone. Prior to Elko you have to go all the way back to Steve Spurrier in 1990 to find a Duke head coach who got another head coaching job after leaving Duke. Elko is the first coach in over 3 decades to get another head coaching position after leaving Duke, not directly after leaving Duke, ever. None of their coaches since spurrier have ever been a d1 head coach since.

If he goes to Duke and they have “typical” Duke seasons while he is there, I would think it would be worse for his marketability for a bigger HC job than staying at PSU and likely having a very good defense. The biggest knock against taking a coordinator vs a head coach is the coordinator wouldn’t have HC experience and running everything - but that doesn’t apply to Manny given he has previously been a HC.

All this said, he would at least make more money at Duke than at PSU.

I just would have expected him to jump more likely to a program in the upper half of P5 but there were few such jobs even available this off season (A&M, Michigan St, arguably Miss St). I would probably hold out to see if any bigger program has someone jump to the NFL but there’s always the “bird in the hand” idea.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Don't get me wrong, great school and nice community, but definitely not a stepping stone job historically and talk of them getting into the playoff is ridiculous also. They haven't been ranked as high as 12 since 1960. You will always be second fiddle to the basketball team and you are now in a conference that is going to be all but forgotten. I don't see the Big 10 or SEC reaching out to Duke soon to join. I can't imagine it's an easy place to recruit also. I wish Manny the best, but personally I would have hoped for something better for him if this is true.

We have #1 defense. But I guess we can always get better.
It's a philosophy rather than a shot at Manny. Manny is outstanding, if he leaves the philosophy is to go forward, not backwards. Moorhead left, but the program went backwards with Rahne, then failed to improve on that with Yurcich.

Defensively Pry left and we upgraded with Manny. It's a philosophy. Again NOT knocking Manny who is one of the best.

It's a philosophy rather than a shot at Manny. Manny is outstanding, if he leaves the philosophy is to go forward, not backwards. Moorhead left, but the program went backwards with Rahne, then failed to improve on that with Yurcich.

Defensively Pry left and we upgraded with Manny. It's a philosophy. Again NOT knocking Manny who is one of the best.
I think Poindexter (currently on staff) would be a very strong replacement.

Reactions: mcpat
The way the Duke side is explaining this news makes me think Manny pulled his name. But that’s just me really trying to read into it. But maybe we backed up a dump truck of cash to try and run it back one more time?

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The Research Triangle is a great area to live and Duke has had a track record of growth for coaches.

Now that they have tasted some football continued success it is reasonable to think they may tap into more NIL to get key players like QB/RB/WR/DT/LB/Safety. Kind of like the old baseball adage of "being strong up the middle" (eg Catcher, Pitcher, SS, CF).

Duke will continue to be attractive to Grad Transfers and those who did well at other top D1 peers / Ivy's. We had a thread on who they got in the portal last year awhile ago.

My gut is that he may be hedging his bet that being Schiano-like at Duke is a long term job and if he hits a double or triple he can move up the ladder. He's gone from Hero to Zero twice- first with Texas and then with Miami. While we'd miss him, and he may likely have better brand options next off season, Duke seems to check the boxes for a smart move.

Wish him well- he has earned our gratitude.
This is a tricky won..he would have to keep a winning program of course since the bar has already been set..so..how much "better" can he make DUKE IF this was a stepping stone for a bigger job ? To me..this would be a life choice..beautiful area and campus to live..incredible academic institution...really curious if he in fact does leave...

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
This is a tricky won..he would have to keep a winning program of course since the bar has already been set..so..how much "better" can he make DUKE IF this was a stepping stone for a bigger job ? To me..this would be a life choice..beautiful area and campus to live..incredible academic institution...really curious if he in fact does leave...
If he views Duke as a destination then it’s a totally different choice. But I don’t think it is ideal as a “ stepping stone”

Reactions: GregInPitt
It is my hope that Manny stays on board here with the understanding he is the next hc at PSU after Franklin leaves or retires. Give Manny a title that recognizes that and give him a few more dollars.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Duke needs to win with innovative Offense....they are not going to get the talent to win on defense. an innovative OC that has had high end offenses for the past 4-5 years should be the target.

Duke needs to win with innovative Offense....they are not going to get the talent to win on defense. an innovative OC that has had high end offenses for the past 4-5 years should be the target.

Don’t disagree but Iowa wins with defense and so so recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT