3.Cy Young+ (22)163.8R
4.Barry Bonds (22)162.8L
5.Willie Mays+ (22)156.2R
6.Ty Cobb+ (24)151.0L
7.Hank Aaron+ (23)143.1R
8.Roger Clemens (24)139.2R
9.Tris Speaker+ (22)134.2L
10.Honus Wagner+ (21)130.8R
Interesting stats. Thanks for posting. This indicates that the 4 on Mount Rushmore should be Ruth, Young, Mays, and Aaron. Bonds is tossed because of steroids and Cobb is tossed because he was a rabid racist and half nuts to boot.

Interesting stats. Thanks for posting. This indicates that the 4 on Mount Rushmore should be Ruth, Young, Mays, and Aaron. Bonds is tossed because of steroids and Cobb is tossed because he was a rabid racist and half nuts to boot.
The latest research on Cobb is that his racism is at least somewhat overstated. I’ll try to find an article. Half-nuts still works.

Reactions: Yanks49 and bison13
I’m sure Ruth and Young were racists as well.

C- Bench
1B- Gehrig
2B- Joe Morgan
SS- Ripken*
3B- Schmidt
OF- Williams
OF- Mays
OF- Ruth
DH- Aaron

pitching Rotation + closers

Koufax
Johnson Walter and/or Randy
Ryan
Clemens
Maddox
Martinez
Rivera - closer.
Eckersly- closer.
*early 1900’s Wagner, just seems like a different game, so I went with Ripken over A-Rod.

Well if you are going to have a DH, then Ruth should be the DH and Aaron should be playing RF.

Apparently he was and his statues need to go as well.
I was at a little staff lunch yesterday when one co-worker accused the other of benefitting from white privilege because she was allowed to take a nap in class when she was in middle school.

I’m sure Ruth and Young were racists as well.
That's a great point. Unfortunately we are creatures of our up bringing. Its sad but true that people thought differently back then. The problem was bad in the north and south, but especially for cobb he grew up in the rural south and was probably not a deep thinker about these things. He was pretty crazy when it came to fighting and such. I think i've read that he expressed some respect for some negro league players. He was far from a saint but i think his reputation was damaged by a book written in the 1960s that was more sensational than actually true.

Reactions: harbest
Let’s not get carried away with hyperbole for Williams. He could debatably be the top hitter ever, but those are likely best case scenario projections with the RBIs being very unlikely.

Any player list has to have Ruth #1. The #1 hitter is an unprovable opinion, but once accounting for pitching...

I’d also argue any Mt. Rushmore position player list has to include Gehrig.
I smell a Yankee fan. :cool: So you have Ruth as one of your four faces on Mt. Rushmore. Who does Gehrig replace? Mays? No. Aaron? No. Williams? No. When you have a list as select as that, even an immortal like Gehrig doesn't get in.

Last edited:
So there is a bit of a groundswell in Atlanta (or call it some noise being made, if you prefer) to rename the Braves the Hammers in honor of Hammerin' Hank. It follows the trend of eliminating native american team monikers, but does so in a way in which they can at least say it is primarily in honor of Aaron. (Everyone can and will draw his or her own conclusion as to which motive predominates, but it is hard to argue that they both are not in play.)

As much as I virtually genuflect at the thought of a guy like Henry Aaron, I am not sure how I feel about this. Your thoughts?

I read in the paper this morning that there is another story of Aaron giving his nickname to someone else. A young black kid from the East Bay was once a clubhouse worker for the Oakland A's. Name of Stanley Burrell. He met Hank Aaron at an A's-Brewers game in 1976 (Aaron played his last two years for the Brewers), and was so impressed by him that he adopted the name "MC Hammer" when he began his rap career.

Reactions: harbest
Bonds is still the scariest hitter I've ever seen, guy got one or two pitches to hit a game, intentionally walked with the bases loaded, unreal. Let's not forget he was a 2 time MVP in Pittsburgh as a stick figure, say what you want about steriods, but guy was incredible and his accomplishments can't be discounted.

Bonds is still the scariest hitter I've ever seen, guy got one or two pitches to hit a game, intentionally walked with the bases loaded, unreal. Let's not forget he was a 2 time MVP in Pittsburgh as a stick figure, say what you want about steriods, but guy was incredible and his accomplishments can't be discounted.
I agree that Bonds is a super talent. I saw him play dozens of times in Pittsburgh. A great athlete. He is in the top 20 all time for sure. If he stayed away from steriods he would be in the Hall of Fame. However, without steriods I doubt that his stats would get him in the top 4. We will never know.

Ty Cobb was not the racists, crazy man as portrayed in the popular media, the attached links provide a different perspective.

Amazon product ASIN 1451645767

I'm so glad I'm as old as I am (late 50s) and spend most of my time around people my age. These SJWs are insufferable.
It didn’t even fit the conversation. We were talking about kids falling asleep on these Zoom sessions, then turned into a conversation about us falling asleep in school and then the white privilege comment. Weird.

Last edited:
Kenesaw Mountain Landis, Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Cy Young

A Mount Rushmore needs to be people who changed the game.....I would be fine switching Cy Young for Satchel Paige.

I smell a Yankee fan. :cool:
No, unfortunately the Buccos are my team
So you have Ruth as one of your four faces on Mt. Rushmore.
I think that is automatic. Whatever the criteria, a list that doesn’t include him wouldn’t be worth paying attention to.
Who does Gehrig replace?
Well there isn’t an official or accepted list for the need of anyone necessarily to be replaced.
Mays? No. Aaron? No. Williams? No. When you have a list as select as that, even an immortal like Gehrig doesn't get in.
Based on on-field results, I could make my case for Gehrig over other HOFs that other people deem more worthy. I think Gehrig gets overlooked because of Ruth.

They have his number up in every stadium. Not putting him on it would be like not including Lincoln on the real Mt. Rushmore.
It pretty much goes to the point LE made earlier in this thread. If you go on talent and production alone, NO WAY he gets there. Not even close. If you take into account his being the first black player in MLB, then you have a decent case to make for him, which is what you appear to be doing. Nothing wrong with that. But Aaron was important for sociological reasons, too.

With Hank Aaron's passing, I thought this would be a good topic. My four faces on baseball's Mount Rushmore are:

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

And one more -- Who do you have?

Lou Gehrig? They named a disease after him.
Tommy John? They named a surgery after him.
Willie Mays? Maybe the best all-around ballplayer.
Casey Stengel? Among the most quotable of all players and managers.
Walter Johnson? We need a pitcher to be represented.

Maybe I should have created this as a poll.
The entire first page I believe fails to mention Roberto Clemente......the Man that died helping other people after his 3000th hit. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Reactions: NittanyBuff24
It pretty much goes to the point LE made earlier in this thread. If you go on talent and production alone, NO WAY he gets there. Not even close. If you take into account his being the first black player in MLB, then you have a decent case to make for him, which is what you appear to be doing. Nothing wrong with that. But Aaron was important for sociological reasons, too.
I have Aaron in my choices. And I think for a Mt. Rushmore choice you have to go beyond statistics....who knows what Robinson’s stats would have looked like if he didn’t fear for his life and safety every game.

And if you are going to go that route then you better have the person that made that happen WAY before you put Robinson in. Hell, pull all players and put in owners/managers/organizers that had big influence. Where is Connie Mack?

I have Aaron in my choices. And I think for a Mt. Rushmore choice you have to go beyond statistics....who knows what Robinson’s stats would have looked like if he didn’t fear for his life and safety every game.
Maybe try it this way: who were the most important and influential players in history? Short list has to include both Ruth and Robinson.

I agree that Bonds is a super talent. I saw him play dozens of times in Pittsburgh. A great athlete. He is in the top 20 all time for sure. If he stayed away from steriods he would be in the Hall of Fame. However, without steriods I doubt that his stats would get him in the top 4. We will never know.
He will still get in the Hall eventually..

What infielder should be ahead of those guys? Pitchers play every 5 days, just not as valuable..
For some reason the best hitters usually play in the outfield. Fielding prowess doesn't seem to matter. Just hitting. No votes for Brooks Robinson or Ozzie Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT