ADVERTISEMENT

Sort of OT: Mount Rushmore of Baseball

An anecdote about Ted Williams eye sight. After returning from Korea where he missed the most of another two seasons, he took batting practice at Fenway. He told Tom Yawkey the owner that home plate was not aligned properly with the field. Yawkey thought BS, had the field measured again to humor Williams and found out home plate was out of sync by half an inch.

In 19 MLB seasons (losing all or part of 5 to military service) he hit 521 home runs and only struck out 709 times ( never more than 64 in a season)

With Hank Aaron's passing, I thought this would be a good topic. My four faces on baseball's Mount Rushmore are:

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

And one more -- Who do you have?

Lou Gehrig? They named a disease after him.
Tommy John? They named a surgery after him.
Willie Mays? Maybe the best all-around ballplayer.
Casey Stengel? Among the most quotable of all players and managers.
Walter Johnson? We need a pitcher to be represented.

Maybe I should have created this as a poll.
Mays is the only choice here

With Hank Aaron's passing, I thought this would be a good topic. My four faces on baseball's Mount Rushmore are:

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

Barry Bonds is on there over Babe and Hank. Baseball purists are all about the numbers except when it comes to Bonds. He has the greatest numbers and is the HR king. GOAT.

No schmidt are carlton? Philly fans were lucky to see those guys in the 70s.

totally agree,
If this is all Phillies, Mike Schmidt needs to be here.

tic, Schmidt, Carlton (my idol as a kid lefty pitcher myself besides Bobby Clarke) and Rose on that team, just adding the dudes that were instrumental in bringing that WS home.

God Bless Henry! Others had said better...

Reactions: TheGLOV

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson.

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

Willie Mays has to be on there. Jackie Robinson is a tough call going strictly on records/stats but his impact on the game and the society makes that a no brainer, Jackie Robinson has to be on there. Ruth would have made the HoF as a pitcher, arguably the greatest player of all. Finally, Henry Aaron, who endured as much as Jackie Robinson, and who has mind boggling stats, is the 4th.

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

First 9 numbers of the New York Yankees

Reactions: BrucePa
vic davilleo
campy campanieris
don lawson

Ruth - best player of all time
Cobb - best hitter of all time - honorable mention Hornsby
Walter Johnson - best pitcher of all time - honorable mention Cy Young & Mathewson
Mays - best all around player of all time

All Time

C- Bench
1b - Gehrig
2b - Hornsby
SS - Wagner
3b - Schmidt
OF - Ruth, Cobb, Mays (LF - Williams, CF - Mays , RF - Ruth)

Last edited:
Reactions: harbest
Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Ted Williams. Remember, Williams missed 3 years of his prime because of service in WW II. Imagine his stats if he did play those 3 seasons.

Reactions: LafayetteBear

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

The "Great one" Roberto Clemente..

I have to get Clemente in there. Best throwing RF of all time and off the field charity was amazing.
Mays, Williams, Jackie Robinson and Clemente
How could you possibly have a Mt. Rushmore of baseball and not have Ruth on it?

Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Ted Williams. Remember, Williams missed 3 years of his prime because of service in WW II. Imagine his stats if he did play those 3 seasons.

He missed 3 full seasons for WW2
He missed just under 2 seasons for the Korean War (1952-53)

you can basically add to his totals about:
150 HRs
700 RBI
45 WAR
850 hits

Those are minimum numbers. Also 600 walks
Let’s not get carried away with hyperbole for Williams. He could debatably be the top hitter ever, but those are likely best case scenario projections with the RBIs being very unlikely.

Any player list has to have Ruth #1. The #1 hitter is an unprovable opinion, but once accounting for pitching...

I’d also argue any Mt. Rushmore position player list has to include Gehrig.

Many of the records we have discussed over the years are unassailable like Cy Young wins and Ryan K’s. Given the way the game is played, nobody will ever approach Rickey’s SB’s either.

But there is another one for a single season that is tucked away as well. Hornsby hitting over .400 with 40 HR’s in the SAME season. Barry had a lukewarm run a couple of times when they were walking him like crazy. He got into shouting distance but never that close.

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson

There are too many players to limit it to 4. I saw a poll that said Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, and Babe Ruth but all polls are different. The only person that is a unanimous pick in all polls is Babe Ruth.

Let’s not get carried away with hyperbole for Williams. He could debatably be the top hitter ever, but those are likely best case scenario projections with the RBIs being very unlikely.

Any player list has to have Ruth #1. The #1 hitter is an unprovable opinion, but once accounting for pitching...

I’d also argue any Mt. Rushmore position player list has to include Gehrig.
And Ruth goes beyond the numbers....he was obviously the most famous baseball player to ever play.

Reactions: BrucePa
There are too many players to limit it to 4. I saw a poll that said Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, and Babe Ruth but all polls are different. The only person that is a unanimous pick in all polls is Babe Ruth.
Or maybe there should only be two...Ruth and Robinson....beyond those two it gets sticky.

Reactions: LionJim
My original choices were Aaron, because he's the legitimate home run champion, and if you add his 5 HRs in the Negrp Leagues, he has a total of 760 with no artificial enhancements; Ruth, because he single-handedly rescued the game from the Black Sox scandal, dominated the headlines -- the front page headlines -- in the 1920s and 1930s, and created the modern power game; and Robinson because he broke the color barrier and created the modern game of baseball. Those three are slam-dunks (home runs?) as far as I'm concerned.

After reading all of the replies, I'm going to propose Cy Young as the fourth face. He has a pitching award named after him, and we need a pitcher on the wall. Walter Johnson may have been the Babe Ruth of pitching, and I think we need a pitcher on the Mount.

Ruth, Williams, Aaron, and Cobb

I had trouble deciding between Mays and Cobb.

I would love to include a pitcher (Johnson, Koufax, Ryan, etc) but they only play every 4 days. I don't think they have the overall impact of everyday players.

Many of the records we have discussed over the years are unassailable like Cy Young wins and Ryan K’s. Given the way the game is played, nobody will ever approach Rickey’s SB’s either.

But there is another one for a single season that is tucked away as well. Hornsby hitting over .400 with 40 HR’s in the SAME season. Barry had a lukewarm run a couple of times when they were walking him like crazy. He got into shouting distance but never that close.
In the 70’s when I was a baseball geek I created a formula to measure great statistical seasons. This was way before all the metrics of today and it weighted like 15 different categories. The winner was Hornsby’s 1922 season.

Ruth, Williams, Aaron, and Cobb

I had trouble deciding between Mays and Cobb.

I would love to include a pitcher (Johnson, Koufax, Ryan, etc) but they only play every 4 days. I don't think they have the overall impact of everyday players.
Sandy Koufax, great as he was for five years, was really only great for five years.

Its hard to evaluate players from the 20s because the stats were inflated. Hornsby had great numbers but Sisler hit .420 something at the same time. Ruth i would rank number one because he was the best in his era, changed the game and was a great pitcher. But hornsby, foxx, gehrig, Hornsby i would put top 30 but not top 5. I agree there has to be a pitcher. Thats a tough one. Greg maddox's numbers are pretty amazing especially given the hitters era he played in. But randy johnson is right up with him. Seaver, gibson ect pitched in great pitching eras and i would put them in the top 30 or so, but not top 5. Kofax was not great for long enough. Cy young, walter johnson, christi mathewson who knows wonder if those guys even threw 90 mph, before the power game they could just pace themselves.

Reactions: LionJim
Sandy Koufax, great as he was for five years, was really only great for five years.
You are right and there are probably 20 other pitchers who should be ranked ahead of Koufax for lifetime achievement. However, he played baseball during my teenage years when I played baseball. I saw him pitch against the Mets in Shea Stadium. It was the most dazzling baseball performance I ever witnessed. His stuff was unreal. He was truly unhittable when he was in sync. I have a soft spot for Koufax.

Never saw koufax i wonder who was more dominating, koufax or randy johnson? Both were just crazy good with unreal stuff. But randy johnson lasted longer plus he pitched against the steroid guys in a great hitters era.

Reactions: 81b&w and LionJim
I would try to have one player from each era, and a pitcher. Cobb was the best in the first 50 years. Ruth is the best from any era. For the post war era, i go with mays. Aaron and williams were slightly better hitters, but mays gets the nod for defense and entertainment value. The latest era is the toughest. I need a pitcher, so looking at purely the numbers its maddox or randy johnson. Maddox had over 350 wins and 4 straight cy youngs pitching in the steroid hitting era. Btw i would have to go with bonds if not for steroids. So its cobb, ruth, mays and maddox for me.

Jackie Robinson was incredible what he and Larry Doby endured to break down the color barrier, but neither would be on the Mt. Rushmore of Baseball imho, Ruth, Mays, Williams, and the 4th is very debatable..

Jackie Robinson was incredible what he and Larry Doby endured to break down the color barrier, but neither would be on the Mt. Rushmore of Baseball imho, Ruth, Mays, Williams, and the 4th is very debatable..
The problem with questions like "Who should go on baseball's Mt. Rushmore" is that the criteria for selection isn't defined. If the criteria is courage and effect on society while being a decent player then players like Robinson, Doby, Curt Flood, Aaron, etc. should be picked. If the criteria is pure baseball playing ability then Koufax, Williams, Mays, Mantle, maybe even Mike Schmidt and Nolan Ryan should be picked. If the criteria is lifetime stats then players like Walter Johnson, Ruth, Bonds, Aaron, Rose are the ones. Without selection criteria each of the above posts are apples to oranges.

ADVERTISEMENT