ADVERTISEMENT

Somethings not right with Franklin.

I agree 100%. Problem is James is dipping his toe in them to back up the decisions he is making. If he wants to go straight analytical then I am sure there is a book out there that describes ever situation like the ones you mention.
I concur that this may be a problem.

Also, even if there is a book about what to do from 4th and goal from the two under every situation the problem is that is still is relying on the idea that you can be wrong XX% of the time. In football, that is much harder to stomach than in baseball (again fewer games, fewer "at bats" etc).

Reactions: Texas Lion
Here is Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsburg Texas Tech record: Franklin might interest a few owners. Even with this turd of a season.

YearSchoolGWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostBowlNotes
2013Texas Tech13850.6155.322.7110Holiday Bowl-W
2014Texas Tech12480.333-3.564.11
2015Texas Tech13760.5383.042.89Texas Bowl-L
2016Texas Tech12570.4171.341.50
2017Texas Tech13670.4623.014.0124Birmingham Bowl-L
2018Texas Tech12570.4175.093.7625
6 YrsTexas Tech7535400.4672.383.16

Records arent comparable issues when looking at what the NFL wants. The NFL wanted Kingsbury because he was considered to be an innovated offensive mind, not because of his record. NFL minds can flat out see that James top qualities are family, recruting (ugh ont his year), program building. His weaknesses are all associated with the on the field product. The NFL doesn't want on on the field weakness.

Reactions: trz103 and PSUFBFAN
Here is Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsburg Texas Tech record: Franklin might interest a few owners. Even with this turd of a season.

YearSchoolGWLTPctSRSSOSAP PreAP HighAP PostBowlNotes
2013Texas Tech13850.6155.322.7110Holiday Bowl-W
2014Texas Tech12480.333-3.564.11
2015Texas Tech13760.5383.042.89Texas Bowl-L
2016Texas Tech12570.4171.341.50
2017Texas Tech13670.4623.014.0124Birmingham Bowl-L
2018Texas Tech12570.4175.093.7625
6 YrsTexas Tech7535400.4672.383.16

And mind you, 13-16 with possibly the most talented QB to ever play the game.

Are you kidding me with this Franklin to the NFL discussion? Franklin runs an RPO system, not an NFL system. That alone will eliminate him from any NFL consideration.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Are you kidding me with this Franklin to the NFL discussion? Franklin runs an RPO system, not an NFL system. That alone will eliminate him from any NFL consideration.
You realize multiple NFL teams run RPO right?

However, I do not believe Franklin has any interest in coaching in the NFL.

Who? Name some teams. Running an RPO for a few plays in a game versus being invested in an RPO system for an entire game is very different. Franklin to the NFL is a complete joke.

I thought that for years as well but I have to wonder if he is tired of the recruiting game and all the changes with the NCAA. The subtle vibe I got from one of his camps a year and a half ago is that he thinks the NCAA is a mess.

I thought that for years as well but I have to wonder if he is tired of the recruiting game and all the changes with the NCAA. The subtle vibe I got from one of his camps a year and a half ago is that he thinks the NCAA is a mess.
I mean, the NCAA is a mess. It is very hard to win recruiting wars without cheating.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
I mean, the NCAA is a mess. It is very hard to win recruiting wars without cheating.

I agree that it is hard to win recruiting wars without cheating. OSU insiders/fans have made comments this week that Derrick Davis' recruiting turned dirty within the past two weeks, which is why LSU won his recruitment. Davis' past comments about wanting relationships, academics, and success after football were clearly thrown out when he committed to LSU.

Records arent comparable issues when looking at what the NFL wants. The NFL wanted Kingsbury because he was considered to be an innovated offensive mind, not because of his record. NFL minds can flat out see that James top qualities are family, recruting (ugh ont his year), program building. His weaknesses are all associated with the on the field product. The NFL doesn't want on on the field weakness.
And mind you, 13-16 with possibly the most talented QB to ever play the game.
So if he is such an innovative offensive mind AND had the greatest QB ever... then why such a mediocre record?
By that argument, Mike Leach did way more with less at Texas Tech. NFL teams should be camping out in his front yard.
The reality is unless you/me/anyone here are employed by an NFL team we really don’t know what they may want or think....

Reactions: PSUoh90
I agree that it is hard to win recruiting wars without cheating. OSU insiders/fans have made comments this week that Derrick Davis' recruiting turned dirty within the past two weeks, which is why LSU won his recruitment. Davis' past comments about wanting relationships, academics, and success after football were clearly thrown out when he committed to LSU.
Funny to me that OSU is complaining about other programs cheating better than they are. I think there is a line in "The Sting" about this when Newman is cheating Lonergan at poker.

Having just listened to CJFs press conference I think I know what's wrong with the team. There was a heavy political influence going on with him, and IMO it was a distraction.

Having just listened to CJFs press conference I think I know what's wrong with the team. There was a heavy political influence going on with him, and IMO it was a distraction.

Can you share what you heard from him that had led you to this conclusion?

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Watched the whole thing and I am not sure about that. To be honest it really seems like he is struggling with a lot of things.

In the end I ask this question: Is James Franklin tough enough to handle a top 10 football program?

Reactions: ram2020
Watched the whole thing and I am not sure about that. To be honest it really seems like he is struggling with a lot of things.

In the end I ask this question: Is James Franklin tough enough to handle a top 10 football program?
He definitely looked like he’s struggling with a lot of things and the pressure is getting to him. Players are a reflection of their Head Coach. Sadly, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win a game this year.

Now we know what's not right with Franklin. Hopefully he can get things right or at least allow those around him to help him out both on and off the field.

I think answering that question based only on this year (which is a year unlike any other) is short sighted and unfair to all involved.

Even if things don't get fixed this year, my opinion is that this year gets gets thrown out as beyond weird.

So the 4 different times he said he was really struggling with covid and family isolation didn't raise an eye?

Reactions: grinagrin

This is a stupid cheap shot. James is a family guy. If you have has a chance to be around him you will learn that. He admitted he is having a very hard time with out his family Around. He called them his fuel. He also knows he could be looking at nearly a year more of not seeing them until a vaccine is in place. Got give me this tough enough bullshit. Are you tough enough be be without your family for a year or more? He looking at a Lonely at the top situation and no support structure that he has relied upon for his career. Hell I now from many years coaching you need that support, someone on your side. I fully understand how tough it has got to be for him. He is looking at thanksgiving and Christmas without his family.

I thought he was honest and fair during the presser but he stated he was not going to throw people under the bus. He said they are having difficult conversations with players and coaches. This guy has not quit. I know him well enough to know that. Is he having a tough time and maybe a bit distracted. Yup. he talked to the team and staff about It.

What does this taken need? It needs a win. These players, who James loves, need to give to him like him give to them. Win a damn game for your coach.

Franklin will be done coaching Penn State at the end of this season. He is laying the ground work (reasoning) now so that when he does resign in a month and a half, it does not come as a surprise. In addition, by laying the ground work now, other programs/future employers cannot assume that he bailed when the going got tough. I think it is clear that Franklin cannot handle the demands and stress of leading a Top 10 program. The first 4-5 years of his tenure was building and improving a program that was overcoming sanctions. Now it is trying to build a title contender and continue to play for New Year's Day bowl games year after year after year, and I think the stress and demands of leading a Top 10 program have inundated him to the point that he is in over his head and the team has lost focus and accountability.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bytir
Franklin will be done coaching Penn State at the end of this season. He is laying the ground work (reasoning) now so that when he does resign in a month and a half, it does not come as a surprise. In addition, by laying the ground work now, other programs/future employers cannot assume that he bailed when the going got tough.
Maybe we can hire your boy Tressel. POS troll.

Reactions: Sharkies
This is a stupid cheap shot. James is a family guy. If you have has a chance to be around him you will learn that. He admitted he is having a very hard time with out his family Around. He called them his fuel. He also knows he could be looking at nearly a year more of not seeing them until a vaccine is in place. Got give me this tough enough bullshit. Are you tough enough be be without your family for a year or more? He looking at a Lonely at the top situation and no support structure that he has relied upon for his career. Hell I now from many years coaching you need that support, someone on your side. I fully understand how tough it has got to be for him. He is looking at thanksgiving and Christmas without his family.

I thought he was honest and fair during the presser but he stated he was not going to throw people under the bus. He said they are having difficult conversations with players and coaches. This guy has not quit. I know him well enough to know that. Is he having a tough time and maybe a bit distracted. Yup. he talked to the team and staff about It.

What does this taken need? It needs a win. These players, who James loves, need to give to him like him give to them. Win a damn game for your coach.

It is not a stupid, cheap shot. It is a fair question. He prides himself on being in control of every single situation. He is obviously not in control of this situation and it could be looked at from a variety of positions. I chose to look at it from that position....is he tough enough to handle situations that he can't control. We all know he is tough enough to handle all the situations within his control.

I want him at Penn State and love what he has done. He has done so well managing everything that it got him about 6 million dollars per year. His success has allowed his family to stay more than safe in this situation. I am not sure what you do or how much you make, but could your family afford a second home in Florida? Mine can't. The local waiter surely can't and neither can the local school teacher. The guy in the military doesn't even have that chance, he just goes away fro months at a time for pennies and oh by the way to protect our freedoms.

So while I understand that he may miss his family I am also asking if he is tough enough to perform the duties of his job while they are away. A simple and fair question.

Franklin will be done coaching Penn State at the end of this season. He is laying the ground work (reasoning) now so that when he does resign in a month and a half, it does not come as a surprise. In addition, by laying the ground work now, other programs/future employers cannot assume that he bailed when the going got tough. I think it is clear that Franklin cannot handle the demands and stress of leading a Top 10 program. The first 4-5 years of his tenure was building and improving a program. Now it is trying to build a title contender and continue to play for New Year's Day bowl games year after year after year, and I think the stress and demands of leading a Top 10 program have inundated him.
You’re saying he’ll use the Dick Vermiel approach? Burn out for whatever reason, step aside, take several years off and then grab a sweet gig after?

It’s possible. If he resigns after this year, he isn’t landing a top gig immediately. This isn’t Andy Reid we’re talking about.

Franklin will be done coaching Penn State at the end of this season. He is laying the ground work (reasoning) now so that when he does resign in a month and a half, it does not come as a surprise. In addition, by laying the ground work now, other programs/future employers cannot assume that he bailed when the going got tough. I think it is clear that Franklin cannot handle the demands and stress of leading a Top 10 program. The first 4-5 years of his tenure was building and improving a program that was overcoming sanctions. Now it is trying to build a title contender and continue to play for New Year's Day bowl games year after year after year, and I think the stress and demands of leading a Top 10 program have inundated him to the point that he is in over his head and the team has lost focus and accountability.
This is an absurd take.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
It is not a stupid, cheap shot. It is a fair question. He prides himself on being in control of every single situation. He is obviously not in control of this situation and it could be looked at from a variety of positions. I chose to look at it from that position....is he tough enough to handle situations that he can't control. We all know he is tough enough to handle all the situations within his control.

I want him at Penn State and love what he has done. He has done so well managing everything that it got him about 6 million dollars per year. His success has allowed his family to stay more than safe in this situation. I am not sure what you do or how much you make, but could your family afford a second home in Florida? Mine can't. The local waiter surely can't and neither can the local school teacher. The guy in the military doesn't even have that chance, he just goes away fro months at a time for pennies and oh by the way to protect our freedoms.

So while I understand that he may miss his family I am also asking if he is tough enough to perform the duties of his job while they are away. A simple and fair question.

Also, I wonder what the future JFF will tell a John Dunmore, Noah Cain, or Parker Washington that may go through bouts of being extremely homesick. If they walked around practice looking like a lost puppy then they wouldn't play on saturdays.

Is the presser available online?

Some fans of teams that lose a recruiting battle always say this. That doesn't necessarily make it true.

I think that's a fair question - he's an amazing human being, and really built up the program from where BOB left off, but being a top 10 team and constantly getting everyone's "best game" comes with a whole new set of challenges and expectations. Maybe after 7 years at Penn State and all the added stress of chasing "elite" status / covid / being away from his family etc. really is just too much for him at this point - he is a human being after all and not a robot. And if I hear one more time about how soldiers do it without being paid millions of dollars I'm going to wretch - it's not a fair comparison and good example of "whataboutism".

Right now Franklin is the 3rd longest tenured coach in the B1G and the 22nd longest tenured coach out of all 130 D1 teams, that's a pretty amazing accomplishment in this day and age with the coaching carousel as it is. Urban Meyer only lasted 7 years at OSU before the scandal and "health reasons" caused him to retire for a second time. The only current coaches that have been at their schools longer and have a better winning percentage than Franklin are Saban, Sweeney, Gary Patterson, David Shaw & Chip Brian (Thanks Waste Management) Kelly so he's in pretty good company.

I personally don't think he's going anywhere but would fully understand if he decided to bail at this point - maybe get in the broadcasting booth as he has a helluva personality and pick up at another school in say the ACC a few years down the line.

Last edited:
Is the presser available online?
Usually the GoPSUTV youtube channel has them, but strangely they didn't post the CJF Maryland postgame presser or today's presser for some reason. They still have all of the player interviews though.

Would he really walk away and leave $6mil+ on the table?

Well good to see you are starting to walk back your dumb comment. I guess you aren’t tough enough to stand your ground. He clearly stated that he was very blessed to be in a situation to be able to protect his family. comparing his situation to the military is not a fair comparison. You know going into the service what the deal is. As a football coach, that is not something he signed up for. But he is doing his best, with his means to protect his daughters life.

Last edited:
Usually the GoPSUTV youtube channel has them, but strangely they didn't post the CJF Maryland postgame presser or today's presser for some reason. They still have all of the player interviews though.
I just looked. Go to gopsusports.com. Go to multimedia, then lionvision. They are all there. Or go to lions vision on the PSU app.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Would he really walk away and leave $6mil+ on the table?

Yes, if he realizes that he is not happy doing what he is currently doing. Life is not all about money, especially when he has been making millions of dollars every year for the past 10 years. And he could go to another program in a year or two and get $2-5 million by selling that program on building and improving their program just like he did at Penn State.

Reactions: grinagrin
Franklin seems to be a bit of an excuse maker to me. I thought his drivel about the Michigan State loss and the big rain delay was so so super weak. Instead of championship teams find ways to win no matter the condition, he went on huge strawman rants about how "next time during a 6 hour rain delay, we will be prepared." That team never should have lost to MSU, but he found a way to make it about the weather and not his ball club. The "elite" speech was in bad form, sort of laid the responsibility on the players "they need to take better notes" blah blah blah. Always very quick to list their accomplishments as a program under his coaching while referencing the tough road to get to the elite level. I hated his talk in the press conference before the bowl game with Kentucky saying "we have a chance to do something that has never been done at Penn State, win 40 games in 4 years" nevermind the fact they play more games these days. Of course they proceed to go out and get boatraced right away. He is emotional, remember the fight with the kid in the stands after the terrible 4th down call? He's emotional, his team is emotional and they seem to start slow and finish weakly when things get tough. I like Franklin, I think he has been a great representative of the university, he has had some real success and he should be commended on that. At the same time, he has not dominated the state, we are seeing more and more disciplinary issues with his players, the team is sort of a mess at this stage and I just don't think he has the temperament to be a truly great coach. One that wins the big games, executes in the big moments, pushes his team to be their best, etc. Saban would be having a coronary if his players looked this listless in games and he'd sit their assess. Franklin is a wonderful coach, especially for programs that need to get some confidence injected in the program.

Yes, if he realizes that he is not happy doing what he is currently doing. Life is not all about money, especially when he has been making millions of dollars every year for the past 10 years. And he could go to another program in a year or two and get $2-5 million by selling that program on building and improving their program just like he did at Penn State.

Who was the coach for Houston who gave up football to buy a Chik-Fil-A franchise?

Or look at Craig Cirbus, who quit football to become a financial advisor. It happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT