ADVERTISEMENT

Somethings not right with Franklin.

Franklin is too busy looking at the replays on the JumboTron to engage his players and assistant coaches.

Watching Dabo Swinney last night provided an amazing contrast --- engaged with his players, engaged with his coaches, engaged with the referees, engaged in every aspect and relationship involved in the game. Franklin was incredibly stoic and disengaged the entire game. The players have to notice and feel that that. Something is wrong.
The contrast is easy to see. Eye opening.

Reactions: psu00
Your father is/was a good man. And I'm sure you are too.

All I ask is that we consider how many of these young black men view the dynamics of their situation. We don't have a window into their lives -- I used to assume that the racism issue was overblown until I began listening to stories from black men and women about some of their routine interactions in society, and it's a deeply personal and emotional issue. For them to sound off on BLM issues......we don't have to agree with them. But I do hope we can at least respect them as people and recognize that there are bigger things in their lives than football.

But that's impacting virtually all programs. It's not unique to us.

Which leads me back to my central thesis: something else is afoot. Perhaps it's a contributing factor, but very unlikely THE factor. Ultimately, this staff has serious issues, and we have major deficiencies in our personnel that go well beyond distractions about race or elections.
Agree

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
I read your post and laughed. I know the following mis spelling was unintentional, but it struck me as funny. I think you meant “pitcher” not “picture”. If a picture spoke to you’re dad and came home and ate dinner, now that would be one hell of a story. Anyway good for your dad.
You are correct i will edit it, he was a minor league pitcher.

Franklin is too busy looking at the replays on the JumboTron to engage his players and assistant coaches.

As an Illinois grad, Bruce Weber used to stand on the baseline with his mouth wide open after unfortunate events. He'd just stand here, jaw to the floor. It was so embarrassing. As if he was paralyzed and didn't have any idea how to respond to rapidly developing events.

Of course, he'd balance that with absolute maniacal behavior and extreme micromanaging. Screaming out calls and the minutiae of each and every play, which clearly distracted the players.

Drove everybody nuts.

For Franklin, we don't need him micromanaging every play. But holy shit man, at least look as though you're involved in the game.

If the hands-off approach isn't working -- and it's not -- then perhaps it's time to change it up.

It's simply bad coaches doing a bad job coaching bad players
I think it's fair to say that Franklin is only as good as his assistants. That's not really a criticism. He's had a lot of ACs get good opportunities elsewhere. However, it doesn't appear he's been able to attract comparable replacements, nor does he seem to develop them.

I think that when wade was named a captain that showed the rift in the team. No way would I have a guy who was in the portal become a captain. Obviously he has his own agendas and to think he is a person who can lead others is ridiculous
Don't the players vote on captains? And then the staff provides their input.

Could it be that after the Indiana game offensive players were blaming the defense for not ever being able to come up with stops at the end of games, and defensive players were blaming the offence for being so dumb and taking Indiana’s bait and scoring that late touchdown? Causing a divide in the locker room?
Or blaming the coaching for not operating at 4th grade clock management level?

Reactions: Petch
This football team has a 101 problems -- coaches and players. That's obvious.

But an honest question for you.

If these young men are "children" to you, why do you even watch or pay attention?

And just my hunch......but nobody is lecturing you. These young men aren't there as your personal entertainment. They have lives of their own, and some decide to use their public profile to raise awareness on issues that mean a lot to them.

I imagine that most of this board is probably older white men -- very few of you can probably honestly relate to a young black man in today's environment. And that's perfectly okay. But you may want to recognize that they're going to have perspectives that you won't. And if you don't want to hear it, you may want to go follow horse racing or something.

Nobody is forcing you to utter "Black Lives Matter" or wear a unity patch or even read what they're tweeting. That would be absurd. But your standard -- the "shut up and dribble" standard -- is equally absurd.

They are on scholarship to get an education and play football. If they want to be activists, then go do that.

Other teams have similar social justice issues and are doing just fine. Why do our players and coaches get to use this as an excuse.

Maybe it all goes back to Franklin simply failing to run down the clock against Indiana. Whether it was miscommunication or not, that was the ultimate example of a coach blowing an almost certain win. And I could see that fracturing a team.
Winner, winner - chicken dinner!

And we might win the next 5 (certainly more likely than losing the next 5).
tenor.gif

True all of that happened but look at the effort. Watch 18 throttle it down plus others. The D could have been drawn up better, but still you have to have some effort. There should be lots of people puking today after rewatching that

DId you happen to see Bresee last night? He's 6'5" 300lbs and he was running down field trying to make tackles. 100% effort from a true freshman. When I saw the lack of effort on that Funk TD it made me want to vomit. This team is so soft. Talent only takes you so far and effort can make up for a lack of talent. It's like they don't care that they are getting punched in the face.

Someone posted a 1991 WVU game highlight the other day. There was a very different”urgency” on the field, firing off the ball, playing fast. It is so different from what I have watched lately from Penn State. There used to be a thing called “ The Penn State Flu”. All Opponents were beat to hell and back after playing Penn State. I worked with 2 former players parents, The one dad would refer to the OSU & Michigan games In the mid- late 90’s as body bag games....also specifically talked about the Texas Fiesta Bowl and how the Texas players basically quit because of the physical beating Penn State inflicted upon them. That’s what I miss. That’s what the top teams ALWAYS have done and still do to their opponents.

I have met guys who played for Kansas and Missouri in the Back-to Back Orange Bowl games. To a man they said the same. They had no idea what they were about to experience in those games. They were physically and mentally beaten down by those Penn State teams.

I think it's fair to say that Franklin is only as good as his assistants. That's not really a criticism. He's had a lot of ACs get good opportunities elsewhere. However, it doesn't appear he's been able to attract comparable replacements, nor does he seem to develop them.
How is it possible to have 12 asst coaches and be poorly coached?
We had 3 assts. in HS, and never had any problems with the basics.

I have met guys who played for Kansas and Missouri in the Back-to Back Orange Bowl games. To a man they said the same. They had no idea what they were about to experience in those games. They were physically and mentally beaten down by those Penn State teams.
We gave definitely lost this. Time to bring in an old school coach to reestablish our identity.

Nobody is shoving anything down your throat. Least of all these young men.

If you view them solely as faceless mechanisms to entertain you, that's perfectly fine. Don't throw a hissy fit, however, when they have the audacity to express their perspectives on race -- particularly as young black men. That's what snowflakes do. I'd assume you're not a snowflake.

I'll admit that I underestimated the degree to which a patch calling for racial unity on a football uniform would create so much animosity. Disturbing in a way, but to each their own.
The patch isn’t the problem, their performance (or lack there of) is. When / if the patch becomes a distraction - then it’s a problem.

We gave definitely lost this. Time to bring in an old school coach to reestablish our identity.

You dont have to bring in an old school coach to reestablish a power running game alot of schools with a spread offense have power running games.

Reactions: bison13
Don't the players vote on captains? And then the
Don't the players vote on captains? And then the staff provides their input.
I'm not sure of the process but if there were enough kids who thought Wade was worthy of being a leader of the team that shows me some problems right there. Leaders don't look for other opportunities and then come back when they don't get any.

I'm not sure of the process but if there were enough kids who thought Wade was worthy of being a leader of the team that shows me some problems right there. Leaders don't look for other opportunities and then come back when they don't get any.
squeaky wheels sometimes get the votes.

Listening to Dotson's comments you hear; not a unit, not as one, have to be 100% bought in, there's no time for that, find out who wants to be here, gotta have everybody in the building for practice, have to work.

For a quiet guy like Dotson to speak up, there's a big problem. Especially when it's easier to give the standard, canned answers. You could tell that even though he spoke up, he was still holding back a bit from unvarnished truth. In these veins PF's comment via Sean Fitz is also interesting.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
DId you happen to see Bresee last night? He's 6'5" 300lbs and he was running down field trying to make tackles. 100% effort from a true freshman. When I saw the lack of effort on that Funk TD it made me want to vomit. This team is so soft. Talent only takes you so far and effort can make up for a lack of talent. It's like they don't care that they are getting punched in the face.
They are a reflection of their head coach. Soft

Reactions: Grass
We don't need a social justice warrior. We don't need someone who can't do their job
Listening to Dotson's comments you hear; not a unit, not as one, have to be 100% bought in, there's no time for that, find out who wants to be here, gotta have everybody in the building for practice, have to work.

For a quiet guy like Dotson to speak up, there's a big problem. Especially when it's easier to give the standard, canned answers. You could tell that even though he spoke up, he was still holding back a bit from unvarnished truth. In these veins PF's comment via Sean Fitz is also interesting.

I have seen Dotsons comments, but what did Pat Friermuth say?

I have seen Dotsons comments, but what did Pat Friermuth say?

He said they have to hold each other accountable, but that's not happening for some unknown reason. He said he has his own ideas as to why, but said he was keeping that in the locker room.

Reactions: palmettolion
We'll be favored in 3 of the next 5 (starting with this weekend)? True or False?

Like NittanyIllinois said - we were just favored by 27 against Maryland and we saw how that turned out. You honestly believe there’s a better chance of the team beating Michigan than losing to Rutgers which are basically the two games that would determine winning out vs losing the rest of the way?

They are on scholarship to get an education and play football. If they want to be activists, then go do that.

Other teams have similar social justice issues and are doing just fine. Why do our players and coaches get to use this as an excuse.
Unless I missed something I haven’t seen anything about player civic involvement dividing the team. Certainly not dotsons comments which made no reference. Seems like a lot of people are projecting their feelings on these players. Seems like some people are ignoring the football problems and trying to create a conspiracy theory.
Clifford can’t hit the broad side of the barn unless he is on the run. Watch the games folks. Matt Millen did a great job of pointing it out.
The team practiced and planned to be a run first team with two nfl caliber backs. They are on their third back who appears to be a decent third down back ( good blocker, ability to make moves in space) but not much more.
The coaches spent a lot of time trying to solve 3rd down passing flaws and have largely failed. Perhaps maybe no more than relying on a team captain that unfortunately is painfully too slow and lacks awareness to be a difference maker. This player may also be a team leader. When they gotta bench a player like that it leaves a leadership void.
Just some thoughts folks. Look for the obvious answers don’t try to create your own grand theory.

You honestly believe there’s a better chance of the team beating Michigan than losing to Rutgers which are basically the two games that would determine winning out vs losing the rest of the way?
Yes, and it isn't even close.

@Grant Green - what would you have each game at today?

I agree that "effort" is a big part of the equation. Teams like Wisconsin seem to make four stars out of three stars by coaching them up and getting football players who want to, and love to, play the game. Lately we seem to make three stars out of four stars by coaching them down and relying too much on camps and athletic metrics as opposed to whether they want to ("effort"), and love to ("football players") play the game. We especially see this at the DE position. Take a moment and think about big time college football --- it's very physical and it's very difficult. It sure helps if a player loves the game, loves competing, and plays as hard and as smart as he can. One of Clemson's physically gifted players probably cost them the game last night with a stupid personal foul in the first OT with ND needing to score a TD to tie. Game day intelligence counts, and I honestly think if you love the game and your teammates you don't do stupid, selfish, things like that. Call me a traditionalist, but I loved what the old Penn State football stood for.

Last edited:
Unless I missed something I haven’t seen anything about player civic involvement dividing the team. Certainly not dotsons comments which made no reference. Seems like a lot of people are projecting their feelings on these players. Seems like some people are ignoring the football problems and trying to create a conspiracy theory.
Clifford can’t hit the broad side of the barn unless he is on the run. Watch the games folks. Matt Millen did a great job of pointing it out.
The team practiced and planned to be a run first team with two nfl caliber backs. They are on their third back who appears to be a decent third down back ( good blocker, ability to make moves in space) but not much more.
The coaches spent a lot of time trying to solve 3rd down passing flaws and have largely failed. Perhaps maybe no more than relying on a team captain that unfortunately is painfully too slow and lacks awareness to be a difference maker. This player may also be a team leader. When they gotta bench a player like that it leaves a leadership void.
Just some thoughts folks. Look for the obvious answers don’t try to create your own grand theory.

First, I was responding to others who thought it was an issue - but you have to admit that one of our Captains who wanted to leave the team but couldn’t find a better hone is very active and not playing very well.

Second, there is a severe lack of effort on this team right now.

Third, there is no leadership on the team and none coming from the HC during the game.

4th, yes they lost Cain, but they knew for several weeks that JB wasn’t playing. Heck, it was on the OSU board two weeks before the season started. Lots of teams are playing and playing well deeper into their depth charts.

I agree with much that has been said. The one item I have not see mentioned (unless I missed it) is Mr. Micah Parsons. Some of the players are extremely pissed that he bailed on them and others have stood up for him. This has caused some tension in the team as well.

Reactions: MacNit07 and m.knox
I noticed that too...NEVER takes off his mask. I haven’t seen him utter a word to anyone during the game. Fricking bizarre!
You do realize he can talk to his coaching staff through the headset he is wearing right? The fact that 99% of his actions aren’t visible on tV may be the case. Yesterday he was high fiving after touchdowns. But I guess that doesn’t support your narrative.

I saw Oweh and PJ making down field tackles and efforts. They are the two giving their all on defense. Toney is really mailing it in.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT