ADVERTISEMENT

Some thought on the OC job.

StinkStankStunk

Oct 11, 2010
Assuming a couple things:

1 - The existing staff is a VERY strong group of recruiters

2 - The OC, out of all the spots on the staff, is a "coaching" first, "recruiting" second position.
So look for a guy with a strong COACHING track record over a guy known as a RECRUITING savant. (ie, no Mike Locksley) Of course, I could be all wet on this idea :)

3 - CJF would likely hire someone he knows (as would most coaches), but that wouldn't NECESSARILY mean it would have to be someone he has been on staff with. As opposed to past history at PSU, CJF and most of his staff appear to be much more "networking" oriented....and I assume CJF "knows" scores of current CFB and NFL coaches.

4 - Despite what so many folks seem to want to create in their version of reality, CJF has never been a "running QB" guy. Certainly he would like - as would just about any coach in the country - to have a QB who is mobile and athletic enough to make some plays with his feet, and to force defenses to stay honest and defend all 11 guys. Someone he can use to throw in a read-option from time to time (to force defenses to prepare and account for it), someone who can roll out of the pocket and present a legitimate run/pass option......but CJF would MUCH rather have a Hackenberg rather than a Denard Robinson.
I think we will see with this hire that CJF isn't looking to set up some "running QB" offense.

5 - I don't think CJF is one of those guys who thinks he has to hire a "name". I think he trusts his judgment and evaluations enough that he will be looking for the guy who has the ABILTY, and not just a guy who has a long "bio" that will sound good to the press/fans. If it is a guy with both - great....but don't be surprised if it is a guy that very few casual fans would have heard of.

6 - And this is just a hunch....but given the timing I will be very much NOT surprised if the guy he has in mind is someone who is becoming available due to some coaching staff shakeups in college football (ie, a guy on staff at a program that is going through a coaching change)

A couple of options off the top of my head

Name - Current Position and Program

James Coley - OC. University of Miami
+ Extensive college experience. Track record as OC at Miami very good.
- Never (to my knowledge) worked directly with Franklin. Has been in Florida exclusively for some time - would he be interested in a move up north?

Brian Schottenheimer - OC, Georgia
+ Good bloodlines, if that accounts for anything. Nearly a decade as an NFL OC, something you will rarely see in a guy coming back to college....would that be a "+" for potential recruits?
- Very little college experience, so probably not much of a recruiter. I do not think his path has crossed with CJF.

Ben McDaniels - OC, Rutgers
+ Young guy with similar career track at this point to a young CJF (some low level NFL jobs, mixed with a couple of college gigs). Very familiar name, but that is his brother (the McDaniels who is the OC with the Patriots). In brief stint at RU, made the most out of what he had (1 year as WR coach, 1 year as OC)
- Only one year as OC (at Rutgers). Not a lot of college experience (mostly NFL gofer and AC)

Couple more to add in later.....

Couple more:

Kevin Johns - OC, Indiana
+ Young, smart (Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Masters degree from Northwestern) Primarily a passing game guy (passing game, WR, QB) Has done a real nice job - IMHO - working with Wilson in developing the IU offense. Long tenure as an AC in B1G (Northwestern and Indiana)
- Working under Kevin Wilson, can't be sure how much of the offense is "his" vs Wilson's....but Wilson is a good offensive mind to learn under.

Last edited:
Will having so many head coaching positions open make it harder? A lot of existing OC's may be shooting for the head coaching job. That may have to play out a little to get the guy he wants. Just a thought.

I'm not thrilled with any of these three suggestions. Others have better lists with better OC skill and less name recognition

I am throwing Frank Reich name in the mix. He is offensive co coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, he is a PA boy whose Dad went to PSU. Smart guy, and I am sure he and CJF have crossed paths. I figure San Diego's staff is getting fired this year making him available. But in a 1 week league they just won Sunday., so who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich

He'll promote Hand and hire another OLineman co
Assuming a couple things:

1 - The existing staff is a VERY strong group of recruiters

2 - The OC, out of all the spots on the staff, is a "coaching" first, "recruiting" second position.
So look for a guy with a strong COACHING track record over a guy known as a RECRUITING savant. (ie, no Mike Locksley) Of course, I could be all wet on this idea :)

3 - CJF would likely hire someone he knows (as would most coaches), but that wouldn't NECESSARILY mean it would have to be someone he has been on staff with. As opposed to past history at PSU, CJF and most of his staff appear to be much more "networking" oriented....and I assume CJF "knows" scores of current CFB and NFL coaches.

4 - Despite what so many folks seem to want to create in their version of reality, CJF has never been a "running QB" guy. Certainly he would like - as would just about any coach in the country - to have a QB who is mobile and athletic enough to make some plays with his feet, and to force defenses to stay honest and defend all 11 guys. Someone he can use to throw in a read-option from time to time (to force defenses to prepare and account for it), someone who can roll out of the pocket and present a legitimate run/pass option......but CJF would MUCH rather have a Hackenberg rather than a Denard Robinson.
I think we will see with this hire that CJF isn't looking to set up some "running QB" offense.

5 - I don't think CJF is one of those guys who thinks he has to hire a "name". I think he trusts his judgment and evaluations enough that he will be looking for the guy who has the ABILTY, and not just a guy who has a long "bio" that will sound good to the press/fans. If it is a guy with both - great....but don't be surprised if it is a guy that very few casual fans would have heard of.

6 - And this is just a hunch....but given the timing I will be very much NOT surprised if the guy he has in mind is someone who is becoming available due to some coaching staff shakeups in college football (ie, a guy on staff at a program that is going through a coaching change)

A couple of options off the top of my head

Name - Current Position and Program

James Coley - OC. University of Miami
+ Extensive college experience. Track record as OC at Miami very good.
- Never (to my knowledge) worked directly with Franklin. Has been in Florida exclusively for some time - would he be interested in a move up north?

Brian Schottenheimer - OC, Georgia
+ Good bloodlines, if that accounts for anything. Nearly a decade as an NFL OC, something you will rarely see in a guy coming back to college....would that be a "+" for potential recruits?
- Very little college experience, so probably not much of a recruiter. I do not think his path has crossed with CJF.

Ben McDaniels - OC, Rutgers
+ Young guy with similar career track at this point to a young CJF (some low level NFL jobs, mixed with a couple of college gigs). Very familiar name, but that is his brother (the McDaniels who is the OC with the Patriots). In brief stint at RU, made the most out of what he had (1 year as WR coach, 1 year as OC)
- Only one year as OC (at Rutgers). Not a lot of college experience (mostly NFL gofer and AC)

Couple more to add in later.....

There's always the possibility that he promotes Hand and hires another Offensive Line coach.

I am throwing Frank Reich name in the mix. He is offensive co coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, he is a PA boy whose Dad went to PSU. Smart guy, and I am sure he and CJF have crossed paths. I figure San Diego's staff is getting fired this year making him available. But in a 1 week league they just won Sunday., so who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich
I'm hearing Reich is a candidate for the Maryland HC job.

I'm hearing Reich is a candidate for the Maryland HC job.
I think he got a courtesy interview at the airport in Jacksonville last night, I think the real candidates went to College Park. That said if Boomer starts whipping and driving behind him, one never knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT