ADVERTISEMENT

Some posters are going to be very disappointed with Rahne

canuckhal

May 5, 2014
First the bad news, Rahne said today that QB would not be under center and there would be no full back. Sorry folks but looks like you are stuck with shotgun and one back.

Now the good news, he is introducing the Lions package with Tommy Stevens. Tommy may become PSU's version of Jabrill Peppers playing on offense, defense and special teams.

First the bad news, Rahne said today that QB would not be under center and there would be no full back. Sorry folks but looks like you are stuck with shotgun and one back.

Now the good news, he is introducing the Lions package with Tommy Stevens. Tommy may become PSU's version of Jabrill Peppers playing on offense, defense and special teams.

Tommy is going to play defense? I’m skeptical.

Found our fullback..."The Refrigerator Wright"... a Mike Ditka tradition.
CHASZ WRIGHT
12572235.jpeg

Class:
Senior
Hometown:
Woodbridge, Va.
High School:
Milford Academy
Height / Weight:
6-7 / 358
Position:
OL
Experience:
JR

Tommy is going to play defense? I’m skeptical.

I think next year (not in the Fiesta) he could really be a very respectable outside linebacker or safety.

With his QB knowledge he could bring some pass awareness / anticipation to the D (which is sorely lacking) and he has the speed size and toughness to put some hurt on the opposition.

Maybe he could also take over one of the wide kick receivers lining up about the 20 yd line.

Anyway, IMHO, he’s just too good an athlete to keep off the field.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

i dont think most post i read here are suggesting a FB. the only thing that is a repeating theme is we have a very hard time gaining 1-2 yds on 3rd down, and we have a large number of negative running plays (Mason on BTN reported that PSU lead the nation in negative yardage running plays). most of the posts seem to focus on those two points and not so much the formation.

i dont think most post i read here are suggesting a FB. the only thing that is a repeating theme is we have a very hard time gaining 1-2 yds on 3rd down, and we have a large number of negative running plays (Mason on BTN reported that PSU lead the nation in negative yardage running plays). most of the posts seem to focus on those two points and not so much the formation.
Ive heard some pretty good football minds say, for a good offense they wanted
1) no negatives
2) lead in explosive plays
So we lead the league in negatives, and we had less explosive plays in 17 than 16
But how could there be a problem you ask? We averaged 41 points a game! You idiot!
Next question to ask is, could we get a first down when we needed one at OSU? USC? MSU?
And the final question to ask is, could we get a stop when we needed one?

1) no negatives
So we lead the league in negatives, and we had less explosive plays in 17 than 16
But how could there be a problem you ask? We averaged 41 points a game! You idiot!
Next question to ask is, could we get a first down when we needed one at OSU? USC? MSU?

i posted a summary of what people on this forum seem to be saying regularly. this is also what most of the analysts (who were former players and coaches) say about us. i stated no personal opinion. you might want to read the post.

1) no negatives
Amen! Preach on, brother... yeah, we scored a lot of points, the majority of these points came against teams that were not able to match our athletecism. Sure, these teams may not make up the gap in the near future, but we still need a solution to beat teams with close to equal or better talent (tOSU, Michigan) or that successfully scheme/execute to minimize the talent gap (Iowa, MSU).

I don't see the harm in having a short yardage package available if needed. May only use it once or twice a game, but that once or twice could prove to be game changing.
Ain't gonna happen so might as well stop talking about it. Rahne says they only have 20 hours a week to practice and doesn't see the point in trying to install a different package. It will be congregate (no huddle), check with me, and always out of shotgun.

Amen! Preach on, brother... yeah, we scored a lot of points, the majority of these points came against teams that were not able to match our athletecism. Sure, these teams may not make up the gap in the near future, but we still need a solution to beat teams with close to equal or better talent (tOSU, Michigan) or that successfully scheme/execute to minimize the talent gap (Iowa, MSU).

We beat Michigan by 29 this year. Not enough for you? Yes, I know we lost to them big last year but that was last year. Hard to take your point seriously when you cite a team we beat by 4+ TDs as an an example of a team we need a new offensive solution to beat.

i posted a summary of what people on this forum seem to be saying regularly. this is also what most of the analysts (who were former players and coaches) say about us. i stated no personal opinion. you might want to read the post.
See below it wasn't meant for you

We beat Michigan by 29 this year. Not enough for you? Yes, I know we lost to them big last year but that was last year. Hard to take your point seriously when you cite a team we beat by 4+ TDs as an an example of a team we need a new offensive solution to beat.

Scored 38 against Ohio State, too. Could barely get a first down, apparently.

Reactions: Madsol
Scored 38 against Ohio State, too. Could barely get a first down, apparently.
So we had a below average performance ( we averaged 41)
Couldn't get a first down in crunch time
We turned 2 1st and tens into 2nd and 17.

And don't get me started on the D, after the blocked punt on 2 and 7 OSU beats us with the same play USC did ,while we played the same D we used vs USC

Looks to me like OSU spent the summer breaking down the USC film

Only a moron wouldn’t look for ways to improve the offense at this point, even if subtle. Glad to hear we didn’t promote one. :cool:
Good thing is this staff was doing that all along. Great staff he assembled and the move to JoMo's offense turned things around much quicker than anticipated.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU-PITT/NY
I don’t care whether we beat teams by 100 points per game if we can’t beat the better teams on our schedule.

I don’t care whether we beat teams by 100 points per game if we can’t beat the better teams on our schedule.

Hey, YOU cited Michigan as a team we needed a new offensive solution to beat. YOU said that, not me. I just pointed out how silly that was seeing as how we beat them by 29.

Hey, YOU cited Michigan as a team we needed a new offensive solution to beat. YOU said that, not me. I just pointed out how silly that was seeing as how we beat them by 29.
I included Michigan as a team with close to equal to better talent. I also included tOSU in that group and we are 1and 1 against both tOSU and Michigan. I would like to beat both of them once in a while.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT