ADVERTISEMENT

So who negatively recruited Lee?

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
http://www.flowrestling.org/article/41204-frl-113-what-spencer-means-for-iowa-and-psu

CP and Willie discussed the negative recruiting issue around minute 28 and CP gives one hint about the school that tried this tactic but doesn't spill the beans despite Willie's slight urging (and comment that it was obvious).

CP said it was one of the finalists but not one of the top 2 (taking Iowa, of course, and us out of the mix). So his other finalists were Ohio State, NC and Penn I think?

I'm thinking OSU as I can't imagine Penn would do that and UNC is a school I don't think about much re: wrestling so who knows. The Buckeyes are desperate for a 125. Could this have been enough of a motive to dump on other schools?

Now if VaTech was a finalist I could see Dresser going after Iowa, but they weren't I don't think.

I'm thinking OSU as I can't imagine Penn would do that and UNC is a school I don't think about much re: wrestling so who knows. The Buckeyes are desperate for a 125. Could this have been enough of a motive to dump on other schools?
Whenever I was training sales people, I reminded them often that being negative about the competition hurts your brand more than theirs. Going negative is a sign that you perceive that what you are selling is weaker than the competition. Otherwise, if you had the real deal, you'd promote it front and center and not waste time and energy on anyone else.

Have to be the man of tan himself...which would be too bad because he has a lot to be proud of.

Agree with the Chief, almost has to be tOSU after listening to that. I would suspect a lot of the negative recruiting had to do with PSU also considering some of the past. So quite possibly it worked, lol, just not the way they planned.

Just a joke before you start lumping me with the conspiracy theorists on here.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/41204-frl-113-what-spencer-means-for-iowa-and-psu

CP and Willie discussed the negative recruiting issue around minute 28 and CP gives one hint about the school that tried this tactic but doesn't spill the beans despite Willie's slight urging (and comment that it was obvious).

CP said it was one of the finalists but not one of the top 2 (taking Iowa, of course, and us out of the mix). So his other finalists were Ohio State, NC and Penn I think?

Now if VaTech was a finalist I could see Dresser going after Iowa, but they weren't I don't think.

So what can any program say negative about PSU's wrestling program - let's see - winning National Championships, producing All-Americans, or producing wrestlers who come across as intelligent in media interviews.

I'd love to hear the negative pitch against PSU. "What? You're seriously considering Penn State?? If Cael, Cody and Casey really knew what they were doing they would have won six straight, not just five of the last six." :D

So what can any program say negative about PSU's wrestling program - let's see - winning National Championships, producing All-Americans, or producing wrestlers who come across as intelligent in media interviews.
One negative that could be said is that we are not as strong in the lighter weights or heavy with one exception (nico). All other titles from 149-197. That can be said as factual with an ever so subtle negative tone. Add in our success in freestyle at 65kg and above, and an impression can be made of our program and the NLWC that they are great, but if you're a 125/133 guy, maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBott and Dogwelder
I'd love to hear the negative pitch against PSU. "What? You're seriously considering Penn State?? If Cael, Cody and Casey really knew what they were doing they would have won six straight, not just five of the last six." :D
Probably was us....I can give you an example of throwing a negative out there with one of your current wrestles who was getting recruited to stay home the coach at the time explained to him that he wasn't always the guy PSU was looking at (which was true) and there's always the possibility that you might not end up in the line up

Reactions: bookie2134
If you craft it well enough and deliver it to someone susceptible to the message, you can make the idea of perfection a negative.

Some people like to be part of building a program, and not one on top of the heap.

Oh, and the stalling - especially that Retherford kid

Probably was us....I can give you an example of throwing a negative out there with one of your current wrestles who was getting recruited to stay home the coach at the time explained to him that he wasn't always the guy PSU was looking at (which was true) and there's always the possibility that you might not end up in the line up
I think what's meant by negative here is badmouthing a competing program, e.g., "You don't want to go to that program because that coach will tell you one thing when he really means..."

The only thing I can think of is how the recruiting went down with Marsteller and Haines. I don't see how that would have much effect though.

It was THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY.
They are notorious for speaking negatively about other programs to recruits. Spencer Lee was unhappy when he visited after all of Tom Ryan and Lou Rosselli's negative comments about other top programs.

Reactions: MVPFAN
One negative that could be said is that we are not as strong in the lighter weights or heavy with one exception (nico). All other titles from 149-197. That can be said as factual with an ever so subtle negative tone. Add in our success in freestyle at 65kg and above, and an impression can be made of our program and the NLWC that they are great, but if you're a 125/133 guy, maybe not so much.

Agree. I've seen interviews with Lee. In at least one of them, he says he prefers freestyle over folkstyle. I'm thinking that he sees his best chances with Terry Brands for world freestyle honors. You cannot fault him since you saw two Iowa wrestlers compete for an Olympic spot. I just hope Lee stays healthy, and he doesn't have recurring shoulder issues ala Altons.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I'm guessing this (Lee to IC) would put an end to any Terry going to USA wrestling to be head freestyle coach talk??

Reactions: Dogwelder

Yea, and you could also say the 1927 Yankees were awesome, but their backup catcher was weak. Lol!

Just a thought. It could have been Ohio State pointing out that by Spencer's 3rd season Iowa will possibly be an entire decade without a team championship and there could quite possibly be a coaching change in the middle of Spencer's time at Iowa.

Or it could just be something as simple as "Iowa has your girlfriend. If it's girls you want here at Ohio State you just call the AD's office and order what kind and how many and they just send them over."
Not sure that is negative recruiting but maybe the possibilities overwhelmed the young man.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Just a thought. It could have been Ohio State pointing out that by Spencer's 3rd season Iowa will possibly be an entire decade without a team championship and there could quite possibly be a coaching change in the middle of Spencer's time at Iowa.

Or it could just be something as simple as "Iowa has your girlfriend. If it's girls you want here at Ohio State you just call the AD's office and order what kind and how many and they just send them over."
Not sure that is negative recruiting but maybe the possibilities overwhelmed the young man.
That's funny.

God help us if the SEC got interested in wrestling again

Our room has as many Olympic champions in it as HWC in the light weights (1 a piece) but we have more champs overall (3). They have us on world champs in the light weights (TnT) and overall (we have none). We have the same number of team titles in Spencers life time (1999) at 5 a piece.

Our coaches have coached the same number of olympic champs (cejudo and varner) as theirs but theirs was in the light weights. Together neither staff has coached a world champ yet.

Our facilities are comparable. They have a greater history and a bigger on average event attendance but we have comparable in match atmosphere. We both travel the country seeking out the best.

It ultimately came down to feel. Is what it is. There will be another spencer lee and teasdale and more than likely this yet to show up wrestler will be from the NE. Our backyard.

The HWC under Brands had a built in advantage over Cael and the NLWC. But we currently are on a roll and a stable of horses.

Unless creedo gets control of this cruise liner, well all be just fine.

Last edited:

Especially those girls with beautiful tans and lots of tats.

Tan Tom is the obvious choice, so obvious that it's too easy.

I say it was Spyker.

I have tried to understand by reading the posts about the OSU and the tanning references. I might be a little dense in this regard, but I don't know the meaning of it. I didn't want to ask for fear of being stupid, but curiosity has me raising the white flag. Please clue me in on this. I remember certain scandals (tattoos, for example), but nothing with tanning salons or something of that nature. Thank you.

Our room has as many Olympic champions in it as HWC in the light weights (1 a piece) but we have more champs overall (3). They have us on world champs in the light weights (TnT) and overall (we have none). We have the same number of team titles in Spencers life time (1999) at 5 a piece.

Our coaches have coached the same number of olympic champs (cejudo and varner) as theirs but theirs was in the light weights. Together neither staff has coached a world champ yet.

Our facilities are comparable. They have a greater history and a bigger on average event attendance but we have comparable in match atmosphere. We both travel the country seeking out the best.

It ultimately came down to feel. Is what it is. There will be another spencer lee and teasdale and more than likely this yet to show up wrestler will be from the NE. Our backyard.

The HWC under Brands had a built in advantage over Cael and the NLWC. But we currently are on a roll and a stable of horses.

Unless creedo gets control of this cruise liner, well all be just fine.

Cruise Liner rec.

I have tried to understand by reading the posts about the OSU and the tanning references. I might be a little dense in this regard, but I don't know the meaning of it. I didn't want to ask for fear of being stupid, but curiosity has me raising the white flag. Please clue me in on this. I remember certain scandals (tattoos, for example), but nothing with tanning salons or something of that nature. Thank you.
Here are some examples:

IMG_6890.JPG

B_p0t8uUgAAGGaM.png

Tom-Ryan.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT