ADVERTISEMENT

So....was I being over cautious or uncaring?.....

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
Scenario:

I was the grocery store yesterday....

While walling around picking up a couple of things, I see three kids - two girls and a boy, between the approximate ages of 6-10. The two girls are about 6 and 8 and the boy is about 10. The 8 year old girl is crying and raising holy heck at her brother, who I had noticed was teasing her unmercifully. She is screaming at her brother that "she hates him, she is not talking to him, etc."

So, I see these kids as I walk around the store - and the 8 year old is not letting up. Every time I see them I steer well far away from this situation.

A few minutes later I was at the ATM and some woman stops and tells me that she saw me and that I was uncaring about the kid's welfare. I told her "I am a middle aged guy - someone sees me within 10 feet of crying kids, there is good chance I am getting accused of something and I am getting arrested". She muttered some nonsense under her breath and walked away.

I wouldn't post this here, but it bothered all evening - I did not see any adults near the kids, so I have no idea why they were there by themselves (or at least no adults near them).

Question:

So - over cautious or uncaring? Or both?

Weird. Why did she think that it was up to you (and not her since she was also observing) to resolve the situation? It has been my experience that any stranger who admonishes children is immediately reprimanded by the parent(s). I would have played it the same way you did.

Scenario:

While walling around picking up a couple of things, I see three kids - two girls and a boy, between the approximate ages of 6-10. The two girls are about 6 and 8 and the boy is about 10. The 8 year old girl is crying and raising holy heck at her brother, who I had noticed was teasing her unmercifully. She is screaming at her brother that "she hates him, she is not talking to him, etc."

So, I see these kids as I walk around the store - and the 8 year old is not letting up. Every time I see them I steer well far away from this situation.

A few minutes later I was at the ATM and some woman stops and tells me that she saw me and that I was uncaring about the kid's welfare. I told her "I am a middle aged guy - someone sees me within 10 feet of crying kids, there is good chance I am getting accused of something and I am getting arrested". She muttered some nonsense under her breath and walked away.

I wouldn't post this here, but it bothered all evening - I did not see any adults near the kids, so I have no idea why they were there by themselves (or at least no adults near them).

Question:

If the woman cared so much why didn’t she step in and confront the kids?

You did the right thing. Absent imminent physical danger, don’t get involved with another person’s children.

In general, our society these days would benefit from a strong dose of the “mind your own business” mentality. The woke crusaders usually have plenty to work on within their own affairs (just like everyone else).

Last edited:
I would have chosen the same path you did. I tend not to get involved in things for fear of being accused of something and then have to defend myself in courts or legal systems. I have heard too many people falsely accused of things to want to get involved especially when it comes to kids. That lady had no business saying anything to you because she was in the same position and could have intervened as well. If there are young kids left alone in a store these days then there is an issue in that household and you want to stay as far away from those people as possible. Unless the kids were physically hurting each other or someone else was hurting them physically then walk the other way. Maybe she thought you were the parent?

If you were really quick witted you could have told the lady those were your kids, that you are an absentee dad, and that you were thinking about catching up on the outstanding child support you owe. However, that after observing what a cluster F%#& those kids are that you changed your mind and were withdrawing some funds for some hookers and blow. 😉

Scenario:

Question:

You did the right thing in all respects. I hope the universal validation (granted, from idiots like us on this site) helps to have this bother you less.

While silence to the Karen was appropriate, next time consider "if I want any sh*t from you, I will squeeze your head."

You did the right thing. Brothers and sisters that age tease each other and fight all the time. It's not you job to monitor their behavior. If you tried to referee their squabble it's more likely you would be accused of being a busybody and told to mind your own business.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Were you wearing a halo for that lady to have challenged you? Since it was all verbal, I think you acted appropriately. Someone from the store should have intervened long before a bystander. It's a shame but as other's suggest, in our times now intervening could have negative consequences.

Scenario:

Question:

You acted 110% correctly,

I wouldn't have interacted with the kids. I would have gone to store management and reported what I saw. These are small kids. Where were the parents?

Scenario:

Question:

IMO you were 100% right. Unless someone is forcing them into a panel van I'm ignoring them.
But then I don't like kids and avoid them at all costs.

Scenario:

Question:

In this day and age, perhaps inform the store. Other than that I’m not sure what you were supposed to do. If the lady was so concerned, perhaps she should have intervened.

If she felt compelled to say something, how weird that her admonishment was directed at you, an innocent bystander, instead of the teasing brother she was so concerned about. WTF

Well at least you know you have a soul. If that was Europe, I’d say you were getting hustled by Roma.

All good man. You did the right thing. No issue with watching them but not interacting. Maybe you tell a store employee if there are no parents around for a lengthy period. people are stupid (the bitchy woman, not the kids)

Reactions: flinter
If she felt compelled to say something, how weird that her admonishment was directed at you, an innocent bystander, instead of the teasing brother she was so concerned about. WTF
Seems weird for the woman to approach ‘ro and say something. Guessing there may have been some racial overtones. Was ‘ro and the kids the same race and the woman different? People are hyper race conscious these days.

Could be totally off base here. Just a guess. Trying to figure out why she went to ‘ro instead of employee.....

But you did right, ‘ro. Kept an eye to make sure it did get out of hand but were wise enough to keep a safe distance. Don’t let it bother you.

Unless physical harm is being done, it is the parent of the children to monitor and control them. At best, tell the store manager that there are three kids under 10 and there seems to be no adult around and they will take care of it.

She saw you and the incident yet she did nothing...Hmmmm? Seems like she was alittle judgmental considering she could have acted herself

Reactions: step.eng69
“If yOu noticed madam, I did the exact same thing as you, except I didn’t ask you why you didn’t intervene.”

Reactions: Shadow99
You did the right thing about staying away from that childish nonsense. Also be leery of a stranger who is nervy enough to confront you about not taking action.

Scenario:

Question:

I would generally steer clear as you did. I might tell a store employee if I thought the kids were alone or it looked like they were physically fighting and someone might get hurt, but you don't really have a duty to do anything. If a parent is nearby you're likely to raise their ire. I'd have asked the woman why she didn't do anything. Sounds like a What Would You Do scenario.

Scenario:

Question:

As a dad, I'd say you did the right thing I NEVER chat up unsupervised children. If a 5 year old is stressed from losing moms, I'll get another adult involved and together we hook the kid up. I honestly would have told Karen to go fvck herself. The only woman I take schit from lives with me.

Reactions: green2623 and bytir
Scenario:

Question:

You should be expecting a call from AG Shapiro for EWOC. Good luck

Reactions: 91Joe95
Scenario:

Question:

Why didn't you call James Franklin? He's probably not in the book like Joe was, but maybe reach out on Twitter and tell him your dilemma. I thought dealing with any kind of expected child abuse or neglect is part of the Penn State football coach's job description.

Scenario:

Question:

NMP, Not My Problem! Ask the woman why she did nothing.
You were exactly correct in staying out of it just for the reasons you stated.
The only course of action that would have been acceptable would have been to report it to the store management and let them deal with it. They have the authority to ask the children to leave or call the police.
Intervening to deal with someone else's poorly raised, misbehaving children is fought with risk.

Last edited:
Where were the parents? My kids are never left unattended in stores, and when they start acting up we leave immediately.
Exactly. Is this the new normal? I see young kids unattended is stores all the time. That is never the case when I have my grandkids. They are always within an arm length from me. What is wrong with the parents?

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
Scenario:

Question:

It takes a village to raise an idiot. You did exactly the right thing.

Reactions: Ward Hog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT