ADVERTISEMENT

So it was 17-6 and then

We do have those troubles. John Reid seems like the only guy who can make the catch, stay on his feet, and deliver a return.
Reid is also the most penalized player on the D this year, but it shows he is doing it right imo

I'm thinking to myself, nothing is ever easy for PSU in these big games :) Watch Iowa, after doing virtually nothing all night somehow score quick and have 3 times out left. What happens-an unbelievable catch (might have been OPI) by their receiver to score. Then they have 3 timeouts and plenty of time. All I could think of was the past few years when we couldn't get that one key first down to ice a game on 3rd and short-USC, OSU, MSU but kudos to Cain and the offense for stepping it up and shoving it down Iowa's throat to preserve the win.
I agree...it was close to OPI...I am fine with the no call but I have seen similar calls like that before. I guarantee you that if it was near beginning of game and less on the line, the officials may have thrown a flag. Just my opinion.

I'm thinking to myself, nothing is ever easy for PSU in these big games :) Watch Iowa, after doing virtually nothing all night somehow score quick and have 3 times out left. What happens-an unbelievable catch (might have been OPI) by their receiver to score. Then they have 3 timeouts and plenty of time. All I could think of was the past few years when we couldn't get that one key first down to ice a game on 3rd and short-USC, OSU, MSU but kudos to Cain and the offense for stepping it up and shoving it down Iowa's throat to preserve the win.

The BS on the Iowa drive was the QB fumble well short of the first down. Clock should have ran and it should have been 4th and short long before their TD pass. But yes Penn State play calling and hard running by Cain was a nice way to finish the game.....

We do have those troubles. John Reid seems like the only guy who can make the catch, stay on his feet, and deliver a return.

There’s an old saying to the effect that there’s a reason good athletes end up in the secondary instead of as wide receivers.

Bigger issue on that TD drive for
Iowa is Brisker’s dropped INT, and allowing Iowa to convert 3rd and 8 and 4th and 5.

I was shocked we didn't see a holding penalty on that last game sealing drive for PSU. Every time Cain picked up 4-5 yards I was always looking where's the flag as you know one is coming. Luckily they didn't throw one.

Photo #2 is basically the same type of hold that PSU got flagged for on one of its many TDs on the O'Neill-gate drive?

Yep, grabbed Reid's shoulder to push him down and away to get in position, and then layed on him to push him further to the ground while making the catch. A tough call, but considering Reid was called for PI a short time before this when he barely touched the Iowa receiver and that ball was clearly uncatchable due to the pressure by our DL,.....
That’s what I saw. During the replays of the questionable catch, ABC only showed the shoulder grab one time.

Capture.jpg

As you can see tip of the ball going to hit the ground
Capture1.jpg

Ball after hitting ground causing it to move no longer in the grasp of hands. Pinned to the chest. Should not have been a catch
Capture3.jpg

Biggest concern about how the game was closed out was there were 2 golden chances for INTs to put the game on ice that got dropped.

So pick your favorite O'Neill (and crew) moment of the game. Coincidentally (?) they are all third down plays. Feel free to add others like some above.
72277842_10206121136904023_1189658202430504960_o.jpg

1. Close enough!

72565996_10206121136664017_9104347193023660032_n.jpg

2. No holding here!

72325642_10206121136544014_6999500217946996736_n.jpg

3. Blatant pass interference if I ever saw it!

You're on a roll, Rules!!

Reactions: joeparules
In this replay, appears Iowa WR grabs Reid’s shoulder to get position. Would have been hard for ref to see in real time.

There's no doubt he uses his hands to "throw Reid past him" (by the shoulder as you say) to gain inside position. The offensive player is entitled to go up for the ball and make incidental contact, but not to use his hands to push or pull the defender to gain position and advantage as he does here. It is OPI, but honestly you won't see it called that often imo as it isn't severe and obvious. But it was, by Rule, OPI as the receiver very clearly grabs Reid's shoulder and "throws him past" to gain "inside position" (i.e., illegally used his hands to take away Reid's inside pisition on the throw that he had well established).

I didn't have problem with Iowa TD. The Iowa wr just made a great play.
WRs including PSUs push off on underthrown balls and it is never called PI. How often is offensive PI called? Not very often in games I've watched. This was essentially a jump ball and the Iowa receiver made a great play.

Thanks for the pic, not even a measurement here. Can't advance a fumble the fumblerooski, holy roller rule
72277842_10206121136904023_1189658202430504960_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT