ADVERTISEMENT

So, how's everyone like Ricky Rahne?

Is Charles really a loss?
A loss of potential. That's it. We only saw production from him on special teams, notwithstanding the season changing catch last year vs. Minny. He can easily be replaced there with the types of athletes coming in and already in the program. As has been noted, he dropped more balls in his career at PSU than he caught as a WR. There's a lot more to playing the position than raw physical ability. A player like Shorter is already a better technical receiver entering the program as a true freshman.

Nothing against RIcky but this team has to figure out how to control the clock with a lead next year and put good teams away. This game was closer than it needed to be but it was a great debut. No team is perfect. There's always room for improvement.

We're recruiting well but replacing Barkley, Hamilton & Gesicki won't be easy. It's a good thing we'll have a veteran QB
I wonder how to tweak the RPO to " control the clock" as you say. By it's nature it places the offense in a position to make "explosive" plays. Explosive plays don't control the clock. RR has all off-season to figure something out. But maybe controlling the clock is an impossible outcome of the RPO.

I wonder how to tweak the RPO to " control the clock" as you say. By it's nature it places the offense in a position to make "explosive" plays. Explosive plays don't control the clock. RR has all off-season to figure something out. But maybe controlling the clock is an impossible outcome of the RPO.

That's my concern because teams don't worry about the "P" option in those situations.

we have to be able to run the ball effectively late in games. It's the biggest issue with the scheme IMO

I think it's coming. Less RPO standing around today. We weren't dominating, but we did much better than anyone expected. We return four OL starters next year, and I would not be shocked if only 3 win their battle by next fall as I think we look to be more physically imposing.

Still think we still should have gone for it on 4th and 6.

I would have been okay with this. Johnson, Hamilton, and Gesicki had all been automatic. Particularly since Davis struggled with FGs all season. Believe we have a new K, LS, and holder next year.

6:40 time remaining when we started that final drive. Too much time to go conservative IMO. McSorley had to complete two 3rd and longs under pressure. That's asking a lot but it worked this time. Unfortunately not against OSU or USC last year.

Considering the way Trace was throwing today, I think throwing on 2nd down would have been fine. His 2 INTs were excellent defensive plays more so than poor throws. This is Trace's offense; put the game in his hands.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Our last drive was great minus the motion penalty, and the missed kick. Credit to the offense today for putting up big numbers against the Washington defense.
No doubt. They burned almost the entire game clock.

Trace appeared to hand off to SB in the backfield which worked wonders for our run game. I didn't notice one RPO to SB at the LOS, Thank God!

He didn't call enough of the 92 yard runs to be honest. Solid start for him.

Honestly, I don't see any 92 yard runs in our future. Not sold at all on Miles Sanders. Looks very average at best. I know he was #1 RB but he needs to get a lot stronger. He does not look particularly speedy either. I think Slade gets some serious time next year.

Honestly, I don't see any 92 yard runs in our future. Not sold at all on Miles Sanders. Looks very average at best. I know he was #1 RB but he needs to get a lot stronger. He does not look particularly speedy either. I think Slade gets some serious time next year.
Sanders has done fine with limited carries. He'll surprise people like you next year.

I think Slade gets some serious time next year.

He should, but more so to keep Sanders fresh. He isn't Saquon, but face it: he's a generational player. Sanders will do very well in this offense, even if he isn't the breakaway threat of #26.

4 minutes offense was much better. Was more decisive and aggressive . 7-8 players with catches spreading the ball around. No shovel passes ever again .

I like Rahne.....but I think its too early to say as a whole....its only been one game lol

Still need to run with tempo you heard the quotes from their HC at half --their D was gassed-- just imagine actually running a few tempo plays per possession and the scoring would have been more prolific methinks.

the +1 +2 yrd plays are a godsend versus the -6, doubt that is Rahne but the OL certainly helped--- and maybe Rahne helped his OL with the calls

Reactions: sluggo72
I made a post yesterday evening regarding Rahne and my concerns were answered favorably. Noticeably the play calling did not allow for Saquan to be a sitting duck in the backfield. I do understand the offensive package being implemented for Tommy, but so do t the defenses. This has to disguised/implemented better. I was also hoping for some offensive tempo changes. Probably next year. Been a wonderful season. Thanks team.

Ha..Sanders is averaging 7 yards per carry which is higher than Barkley. Sanders will be very good next year.

Nope. The guy could not stop running the one play that was not working from the first time he ran it. He insisted on running a dud until it ended in a turnover and then he ran it again.

The problem is that he likely ran it against the PSU defense in practice over and over for 7-10 yards a clip because the PSU defense cannot stop a shovel pass so Rahne thought it was the greatest play ever invented. Too bad he was too stupid to realize that he wasn't playing the PSU defense today.

It's safe to say I'm not Rahne fan. A matter of fact, I look forward to the day the guy gets fired.

He insisted on running a dud until it ended in a turnover and then he ran it again.

I blame Trace for missing to see a wide open pitch on one shovel pass (he later failed to see a blitzing LB off the edge on a pitch that became a turnover).

Tommy failed to get in position on the near intercepted shovel pass (probably because he takes more reps at QB than WR).

The shovel pass for 0-2 yards > the zone read getting tackled in the back field for -4 to -7.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Ha..Sanders is averaging 7 yards per carry which is higher than Barkley. Sanders will be very good next year.

It is certainly his time. I hope he makes the most of it. Not a large body of work, I know but would have liked some stronger runs against good caliber lines. GA State does not count unfortunately.

I liked what I saw, and the 3rd down conversion rate certainly bodes well for how Rahne will do. I’m optimistic about the O next year — and think McSorely’s got a legit shot to be another serious Heisman candidate.

Just to play Devil’s Advocate, the shovel pass keeps the defense honest and helps prevent an all out rush. It doesn’t have to work as long as it sticks in the D’s Mind and makes them worry.
You are absolutely right. These posters being critical of the shovel pass don't understand football. The offense set a Fiesta bowl record for yardage. It was in part because the shovel pass slowed the defense pass rush. JoMo could of used it in the OSU game.

Reactions: NJPSU
It is certainly his time. I hope he makes the most of it. Not a large body of work, I know but would have liked some stronger runs against good caliber lines. GA State does not count unfortunately.

Sanders saw his most meaningful time today. He doesn't get to name his snap count. Patience.

Just to play Devil’s Advocate, the shovel pass keeps the defense honest and helps prevent an all out rush. It doesn’t have to work as long as it sticks in the D’s Mind and makes them worry.

The issue isn't the shovel pass. It was McSorley's execution (or lack thereof) when it was called. It should have resulted in more than one turnover and they are lucky it didn't. Rhane needed to realize it wasn't in the cards and go with something else. The shovel pass isn't the only way to keep a defense honest.

I think it shows how far the program has come to overcome 3 turnovers, never trail and WIN. Nice debut by Rahne.

Rahne racked up how many yards and points against the #1 defense? In his first game as OC? Yeah, I’m definitely sold. He’s awesome.

Is Charles really a loss?

Remains to be seen, but someone has to replace Hamilton's production (and Gesicki in terms of overall receptions). I didn't see enough from Charles to think he's irreplaceable but someone unproven is going to have to step up.

Nope. The guy could not stop running the one play that was not working from the first time he ran it. He insisted on running a dud until it ended in a turnover and then he ran it again.

The problem is that he likely ran it against the PSU defense in practice over and over for 7-10 yards a clip because the PSU defense cannot stop a shovel pass so Rahne thought it was the greatest play ever invented. Too bad he was too stupid to realize that he wasn't playing the PSU defense today.

It's safe to say I'm not Rahne fan. A matter of fact, I look forward to the day the guy gets fired.
Did the guy bang your wife or something? The man’s offense hung 500+ yards and 35 points on the#11 team, and left probably at least 14 points out there, all in his first game as OC. Get a grip.

Remains to be seen, but someone has to replace Hamilton's production (and Gesicki in terms of overall receptions). I didn't see enough from Charles to think he's irreplaceable but someone unproven is going to have to step up.

Very true. On a positive note, our prospects are highly rated. Our best recruiting in a long time.

Really. I think that was a gain for the program on both counts! You couldn't count on these two for anything.
Rip you and I have had a couple of board fights, but when we agree I say so. This is big boy football - the guys get a royal treatment, but more than ever is expected of them. Great talent no question - but if you can't toe the line, then there are consequences. Fair or not fair, good or bad - just don't let the piss police catch up to you. That's just the way it is. Hew to the line - or nuts to the chips.

Thought he did fine. Would have liked to see the wheel route to Barkley, no one stopped that this season.

I was watching for that throughout the game and it seemed that whenever Barkley took that route, a safety was paying enough attention to him to not let him run by like he did to everyone else.

I was watching for that throughout the game and it seemed that whenever Barkley took that route, a safety was paying enough attention to him to not let him run by like he did to everyone else.
yep just like every other defense against us they took something away and it left us with other openings to exploit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT