ADVERTISEMENT

So, how's everyone like Ricky Rahne?

I was watching for that throughout the game and it seemed that whenever Barkley took that route, a safety was paying enough attention to him to not let him run by like he did to everyone else.

Was hoping one of the times we had two backs in there we would run a wheel route to each side and maybe send the slot receiver right down the middle.

Guess we’ll save that for Pitt next fall!

Remains to be seen, but someone has to replace Hamilton's production (and Gesicki in terms of overall receptions). I didn't see enough from Charles to think he's irreplaceable but someone unproven is going to have to step up.

But Charles would have been unproven had he come back. What did he have, like 3 catches for his career? Loved him on special teams but as a receiver, his departure is a total nonfactor IMHO.

Good. Beat OSU. Every year. The fact of the matter is you either beat OSU or the season is over.

The division is a bitch. Lose to OSU and you're done. Beat them and lose to another team and you're done. It's not an enviable position. Win them all or no chance at the B10 playoff and no shot at the CFB playoffs. This is what PSU signed up for.

Recruit to beat OSU.

Good. Beat OSU. Every year. The fact of the matter is you either beat OSU or the season is over.

The division is a bitch. Lose to OSU and you're done. Beat them and lose to another team and you're done. It's not an enviable position. Win them all or no chance at the B10 playoff and no shot at the CFB playoffs. This is what PSU signed up for.

Recruit to beat OSU.

Sorry, but that's silly on multiple levels. First off, no one is beating Ohio State every year. So if that's the measure of success, you've failed from the outset. And second neither us last year nor OSU this year won them all and both made it to and won the B1G championship game. Not a huge margin of error, I agree with that, but setting perfection as the standard every year is a fool's errand IMHO.

Recruit to beat OSU.

Penn State is probably in the playoff this season if they beat MSU. If they can't lose to osu and they can't beat osu but lose another game then they need to be undefeated. That just isn't true.

They're in the playoff this year if they beat msu or osu. They're in it last year if they beat Pitt or Michigan.

Respectfully, I disagree as PSU wouldn't have been in the B10 championship had they beat MSU with an OSU loss, therefore no division crown, no conference title game.

PSU has to beat OSU in a given year and dare I say, convincingly. I understand PSU will not beat them every year. Recruit with the focus of beating them.

Respectfully, I disagree as PSU wouldn't have been in the B10 championship had they beat MSU with an OSU loss, therefore no division crown, no conference title game.

PSU has to beat OSU in a given year and dare I say, convincingly. I understand PSU will not beat them every year. Recruit with the focus of beating them.

Committee has proven two years in a row they don’t give a shit about a division crown or conf title game.

If psu beats Pitt or Michigan last year they are in without a convincing win over osu. Find something else to bitch about besides perceived injustices that haven’t happened.

I blame Trace for missing to see a wide open pitch on one shovel pass (he later failed to see a blitzing LB off the edge on a pitch that became a turnover).

Tommy failed to get in position on the near intercepted shovel pass (probably because he takes more reps at QB than WR).

The shovel pass for 0-2 yards > the zone read getting tackled in the back field for -4 to -7.

This isn't on Trace. I don't even think those shovel passes are RPO. In other words, they are designed shovels. And even if it's up to Trace to read the defense and decide to shovel as an OC if your QB cannot make the right read you stop calling that play. You don't keep calling it over and over until you turn it over. They turned it over AFTER they almost turned it over on a previous one.

That shovel pass disaster is on Ricky Rahne and it's why I don't want him as OC. If he can't do something as simple as not calling a play that obviously does not work then he's incompetent and so is Franklin for not telling him to knock it off after the second time it didn't work.

Nothing against RIcky but this team has to figure out how to control the clock with a lead next year and put good teams away. This game was closer than it needed to be but it was a great debut. No team is perfect. There's always room for improvement.

We're recruiting well but replacing Barkley, Hamilton & Gesicki won't be easy. It's a good thing we'll have a veteran QB

I not sure I get where you are coming from. I was not thrilled with the 3 and out with about 7 minutes to play, but the drive after Washington got to within 7 was outstanding. If Mahon doesn’t move on 3rd and inches we likely get the first down and kneel out the clock. That the game was closer than it needed to be had nothing to do with clock management. It was close because we kept turning the ball over when we had chances to put it away.

This isn't on Trace. I don't even think those shovel passes are RPO. In other words, they are designed shovels. And even if it's up to Trace to read the defense and decide to shovel as an OC if your QB cannot make the right read you stop calling that play. You don't keep calling it over and over until you turn it over. They turned it over AFTER they almost turned it over on a previous one.

That shovel pass disaster is on Ricky Rahne and it's why I don't want him as OC. If he can't do something as simple as not calling a play that obviously does not work then he's incompetent and so is Franklin for not telling him to knock it off after the second time it didn't work.
You are too quick to jump to conclusions. Maybe Trace called the plays at the line. And even if the OC made the calls, a few questionable play calls doesn’t make him a bad OC.
Overall I thought the offense looked good and I liked how they were more decisive in the run game and didn’t run any plays where they stand around in the backfield waiting for the D to tackle them.
I think Rahne pretty good job in his second game as OC and he’s a young guy and will get even better.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

opinions vary

look at the scoreboard

biDFHU0.gif
Too much on the shovel pass but the biggest benefit seems to be his Coaching from the box versus sidelines , yes?

We can all agree that the shovel passes were awful, but they did gain over 500 yards against a team that was giving up less than 300 yards per game. If not for the TO's PSU wins by 21-28 points.

Reactions: Nitt1300
That shovel pass disaster is on Ricky Rahne

While the play never gained more than 1 or 2 yards, it's far from the disaster the stand-still RPO play has been this year and it was called upward of 50 times with numerous TFL. Stevens was at fault for not getting into position on his SP, not Rahne.

Reactions: 81b&w
Just to play Devil’s Advocate, the shovel pass keeps the defense honest and helps prevent an all out rush. It doesn’t have to work as long as it sticks in the D’s Mind and makes them worry.
You are absolutely right. These posters being critical of the shovel pass don't understand football. The offense set a Fiesta bowl record for yardage. It was in part because the shovel pass slowed the defense pass rush. JoMo could of used it in the 2nd half of the OSU
The issue isn't the shovel pass. It was McSorley's execution (or lack thereof) when it was called. It should have resulted in more than one turnover and they are lucky it didn't. Rhane needed to realize it wasn't in the cards and go with something else. The shovel pass isn't the only way to keep a defense honest.

That shovel pass disaster is on Ricky Rahne and it's why I don't want him as OC. If he can't do something as simple as not calling a play that obviously does not work then he's incompetent and so is Franklin for not telling him to knock it off after the second time it didn't work.[/QUOTE\

You do know that the offense racked up over 500 yards against one of the better defenses in the country, right? The shovel pass served a purpose. I know you refuse to understand that. Without it we don't score 35 points and own time of possession. The pitch to Sanders was not a shovel pass per se. It was a poor pitch by TM. He made a bad decision. The few critics of yesterdays offense don't have a clue. I haven't heard one knowledgeable pundit criticize the play calling.

Reactions: johnmpsu

Bah humbug. So you've decided after one game you don't want him as the OC even though he WON the game? Both of your posts are dripping with hate for some very weird reason.

Rainy.....but sunshine in the coming :) First impressions, this guy going to be great. Obviously, there must have been something with the. shuffle pass that they saw, sometimes it only takes 1 play to break it, just didn't happen. Forecast says a bright future.

I thought Gisicki wasn't used very effectively. He was installed with the shuffle pass that did nothing. At the same time Gisicki wasn't thrown to very much and he has been an effective receiver. Gisicki didn't get much chance except with the shuffle pass that wasn't very effective.

6 for 62 is a pretty good stat line. He was only behind Hamilton (5/110) and Johnson (6/66).

35 points and an all time PSU bowl yardage record- there is no polite way to say it- some people posting in this thread are morons

Reactions: Judge Smails
Breaking the school record for total yards in a bowl game against one of the top defenses in the country, really not much to fault him with.

He did force the shovel pass and force involvement of Stevens (which makes sense for future strategy, but UW seemed prepared for it).

So far, so good. One game is not exactly a significant sample, either way.

He did force the shovel pass and force involvement of Stevens

If you go back to Stevens most successful plays in the previously unnamed Lion position, he either took a hand off with Saquon motioning / running back towards the play or he got vertical and caught a pass in stride.

The 3 passes Stevens caught were all behind the line of scrimmage and would have been better reserved for Hamilton, Barkley, or Polk. He also took a big hit on one down field, where he was basically double covered.

I think, going forward, if the idea is to get Tommy more involved, line him up at QB and let him run.

I thought Gisicki wasn't used very effectively. He was installed with the shuffle pass that did nothing. At the same time Gisicki wasn't thrown to very much and he has been an effective receiver. Gisicki didn't get much chance except with the shuffle pass that wasn't very effective.

He had the second most catches, and second most yards, of any game of his this year. What more did you want?

Did I hear the announcers right when they said Washington's defense had allowed only one play over 40 yards all year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT