ADVERTISEMENT

So... about Dante Cephus..

Let’s face it. He’s not ready… hopefully he’ll have a good November but the hype was just that. I’m disappointed in the WR coaching. These kids just don’t look crisp. They have definitely regressed from the previous years. Thought Hagans was to be a big improvement. It’s not showing after 8 months on the job and please don’t tell me that they aren’t his guys. Yes they are. Coach them up as he’s had time to find 4 of 12 guys to be at least competent?

Let’s face it. He’s not ready… hopefully he’ll have a good November but the hype was just that. I’m disappointed in the WR coaching. These kids just don’t look crisp. They have definitely regressed from the previous years. Thought Hagans was to be a big improvement. It’s not showing after 8 months on the job and please don’t tell me that they aren’t his guys. Yes they are. Coach them up as he’s had time to find 4 of 12 guys to be at least competent?
The alarming thing is we have no stud WR set to arrive next year in the class of '24. They had better get a Jordan Addison to USC type of portal acquisition or you will witness the same kind of wasted talent we had with Saquon running behind an inferior line.

Reactions: bdgan
Cephus not coming till summer wasn’t good

Cephus not being a burner doesn’t give us what we really need

Cephus being a possession receiver didn’t help PSU yesterday

Maybe we need a different type of FCS portal receiver? One with speed and ability to take the top off the defense.

• Love
Reactions: Ski and PSUfiji
Tell me again why the previous WR coach was let go. Last year's wide receivers ran better routes. Where are the higher level recruits Hagans was supposed to attract? Look at this incoming class. No one is a game changer.

They mentioned osu had I think 4 WR first round draft picks in the last three years, and of course they have Harrison this year.

Does it take 10 games to figure out how to get open and catch the ball or can we safely just call it a busy and get back to the portal next year?
I do not think Cephus knows the play book. There are so many plays that seem to be throws to him and he runs the wrong version of the route.

Reactions: hoflane and WIP2001
Cephus is a bust for whatever reason. So is McClain but he has two yrs left, I believe, so maybe there’s hope but wow he’s been MIA since the first quarter at Illinois.

Caught two balls near the end of the game. Two in a row, IIRC.
When the OSU defense called off the dogs because the game was over. We see teams give up yards all the time when they are in prevent mode, I put very little stock into anything that happened on that drive.

Reactions: Ski

Take a look at the WR's on the roster. We can't get any to run a route that gets some separation?

I mean, go way back to the NFL with Steve Largent. Was he a 4.3 speedster? Nope. Yet he could run a route and get open.

Reactions: KCLion and PSUfiji
Those NIL darlings don't always work out so well. U$C had a tough loss last night in part because the UGA transfer "Bear" Alexander picked up a very unneeded personal foul/helmet to helmet hit on the Utah qb which gave them new life with under a minute left. The announcers seemed to indicate that he had done something that hurt the team earlier too as he stomped around the sideline.

In the end these high end portal guys are getting paid much more than you or me- but aren't necessarily held to the same dismissal standards for underperformance. Of course they want to win and go the The League- but does having a ton of money in your pocket change your mindset?

The Utah QB Barnes is the dude who came in vs. us in the Rose Bowl. The announcers said he had been "doing odd jobs to make ends meet before getting a scholarship" maybe just this past Summer. Bear probably banked $2MM from the Trojans (or more). I was really happy to see the Utes take U$C and watch this years college QB Ad King Caleb Williams lose. Just like DJ U. at Clemson 2 years ago....too much exposure? Call it The Dr. Pepper Curse.

Cephus is not anywhere comparable to Addison. Boy we could've used Parker Washington yesterday. Not the biggest nor fastest- but dude was a gamer who MADE PLAYS. What if we had flipped him the NIL instead of going outside? THAT would've been a great investment.

Reactions: Ski
I do not think Cephus knows the play book. There are so many plays that seem to be throws to him and he runs the wrong version of the route.
I’m guessing this is it. Seems like he’s been in the same place as another WR a few times this year. Against OSU he and Warren were in the same place and Warren looked at him after like ‘wtf’.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Cephus not coming till summer wasn’t good

Cephus not being a burner doesn’t give us what we really need

Cephus being a possession receiver didn’t help PSU yesterday

Maybe we need a different type of FCS portal receiver? One with speed and ability to take the top off the defense.
I thought McClain looked good against WVa but he's been benched since he dropped two passes @ ILL.

Boy we could've used Parker Washington yesterday. Not the biggest nor fastest- but dude was a gamer who MADE PLAYS. What if we had flipped him the NIL instead of going outside

Washington certainly would have helped. I don't know if he would have been enough though. Allar was bad. Play calling didn't seem to have any flow. We were throwing on 3rd and 1 and running on 3rd and 5.

I don't think NIL would have mattered. He got injured late in the year and never looked back. Still got drafted, and I think he's hurt right now.

Did we give a lot of NIL to Cephas and McClain? If so, we are getting a terrible return on investment.

I agree with your criticism of Hagans but he didn’t recruit these players. Last I checked no true freshman receiver has played this year.

I’m guessing this is it. Seems like he’s been in the same place as another WR a few times this year. Against OSU he and Warren were in the same place and Warren looked at him after like ‘wtf’.
Saw that too

What does it matter? You were hired in January to coach the room. They are your kids, coach them up. After a full camp and seven games they all seemed completely confused. That won't attract new recruits, flips, or potential transfers. You have to play the cards you've been dealt. This is not the best you can do.

What does it matter? You were hired in January to coach the room. They are your kids, coach them up. After a full camp and seven games they all seemed completely confused. That won't attract new recruits, flips, or potential transfers. You have to play the cards you've been dealt. This is not the best you can do.

Who has been confused besides Cephas?

Perhaps the room is just weak compared to top 10 schools.

I think we see a flush out come December. Not that it guarantees anything but a change is gonna come.

Reactions: royboy
I know the ratings aren't everything but taking a peak at next year's incoming freshman.

OSU's incoming WRs are rated 2,28 and 98 nationally.
Ours are 179, NR, and NR.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
The wide receivers are no goo d. OSU always has a couple studs out there. Its important in todays game. Gotta re-evaluate them and the whole rectruiting stategy. Might be one of the most important positions on the field anymore. Everything else is there but this.

Does anyone think the scheme makes our WR very average? Everyone else can't just recruit the position that much better or coach them that much better. Look at the other teams, WR (even Harrison ends up WIDE open when 110,000 people know they are looking for him). He is good but c'mon!
Out routes are slow, we rarely cross, and we often have 2 or 3 WR in the same area.

Flushing players and/or offensive staff?

I think we see 3-5 players leave. Here is my breakdown based on http://fosshipmatrix.elasticbeanstalk.com/

Seniors: KLS, Cephas, Meiga. All have a covid year available. Meiga moves on. Seems unlikely that he stays. Cephas should take his covid year, but I'm not sure if he'll be welcome come spring. His staying/going is likely dependent on our portal acquisition(s) potential. KLS should take his. He's good, but plenty more to learn. I don't see him being drafted yet.

3 possible

Juniors: McClain. If he doesn't play more the rest of the year, he could be looking to graduate and leave. He went from 4-5 guy to kickoff coverage only after Illinois. Did Allar throw him under the bus?

1 possible

Sophomores: Clifford, Evans, Wallace. Wallace and Clifford definitely returning. Evans is a mystery. Wondering if he is being RS at this point. His availability has been iffy and other than one game he's been a ghost. He's got the speed we lack so I'm leaning towards RS.

All return.

Freshman: Driver, Ivey, Johnson, Saunders, Taylor. Ivey hasn't seen the field and Johnson hasn't since last year. Driver is a position switch and his dad is a JF friend so he's likely to return. Saunders is playing some, don't see him leaving yet. Taylor is a tiny true freshman. Hard to predict anything about him.

2 possible departures.

6 possible departures in my book. Class coming in has 3 so far.

Are any of the '24 kids EEs?

Does anyone think the scheme makes our WR very average? Everyone else can't just recruit the position that much better or coach them that much better. Look at the other teams, WR (even Harrison ends up WIDE open when 110,000 people know they are looking for him). He is good but c'mon!
Out routes are slow, we rarely cross, and we often have 2 or 3 WR in the same area.
Agreed, I hat your route trees. Typically take long to develop, which against a D line like OSU, spells disaster. Also, almost all are timing routes breaking to the outside....tough tough throws even with separation. I dont think we utilize crosses and the middle of the field enough. MY did his young qb no help on Saturday. I wasn't as critical of allars performance as most, he had to throw the ball more than 40 times, oftentimes with pressure bearing down on him and revievers still not out of their breaks.

Reactions: psu00
I was hired 3 times to turn around very bad operations. You don't get to fire the old crew and bring in a new one.
You are hired to; bring new ideas, identify what is not working, identify the solutions and train the people to implement needed results. It works the same for a coach. The coach is ALWAYS responsible fir a team's result.

Coaching can only take you so far. At some point it the jimmies and the joes who have to make plays. They are coaches not magicians. There only so much they can do. I swear some people think there a magic technique they can teach.

Reactions: lazydave841
Coaching can only take you so far. At some point it the jimmies and the joes who have to make plays. They are coaches not magicians. There only so much they can do. I swear some people think there a magic technique they can teach.
Agree and disagree all at the same time. While it makes it easier when you have studs, you also have to put them in a position to succeed. The best teams have studs and have coaches that put them in a position to be successful (ie Harrison). You can win with studs and no coaching and coaching and not studs....but not against teams with both.

well, at first glance it might seem that if we're not getting the job done with those that are playing, maybe we should consider playing some of the other wide receivers

What we need is a QB that's a threat to take off with the ball. That opens everything up. I like Allar, and some of his throws are off the charts good, but he strikes zero fear into opponents for making plays with his feet. IMHO: it's the reason Singleton and Allen can't get into space. No defense is concerned on RPOs with Drew's "mesh point." Sad reality, but I believe Pribula would be more effective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT