ADVERTISEMENT

Skeller reopening this weekend

Thanks. Its amazing what washing the windows, putting in a 100 W bulb and cleaning the floors will do.
Looks good.
I will be interested to see what the "outside" area looks like.

So it's lost the appeal?

;)

so has anybody ever heard of this. I was talking to a guy this weekend that grew up in Philly. He said there was an old bar that was sort of a VFW type bar that had a essentially a trough on the floor at the base of the bar so guys didn't have to get up from their bar stool to take a piss. this i guess was done in the 50's and 60's and was still at the bar but no longer in use. so literally while sitting at the bar, they could whip it out, take a piss on the floor as the floor had about a 6" wide by 3" deep trough in it that sloped down to the end of the bar where there was a drain. the bartender would occasionally turn on the water that would flush that trough out.
I don’t remember the name of the place but years ago my friend took me to a place in Reading that had a trough. It was brick or cobble stone floor with a approximately 6x4 inch trough with water running. Older place with a large fireplace in the dining room.

Did they clean it up enough that it's no longer the New Jersey of State College bars?

That's clearly a matter of opinion. I never thought it was the NJ of State College bars, so I can't answer that question.

What I believe though is that if people stop going out to eat, downtown restaurants will be hurt. I think you need live bodies in your establishment to make a go of it.

I've always understood that the higher margins were on the alcohol, not the food. If this is the case, then restaurants certainly need butts in seats to make a go of it. Carry out probably has a tight margin and delivery is probably worse.

Reactions: Zenophile
Someone else from Reading might know for sure, but I thought that Stanley's in Reading had a setup like that way back when. Stanley's was a shot-and-a-beer bar frequented by working class folk and women weren't allowed in the bar area. It's now closed, believe it or not.:)
I remember driving by Speedy Morris's in Roxborough back whem my folks lived there (1980s) that there was a "Womans' Entrance", with sign noting it as such, around the side. I'm guessing this was pretty common back in the day--may have even been a law.

Anyone who felt they "missed out" by not getting to the 'Skeller before it "closed", can rest easy. :rolleyes:

I don't know if there will be any further significant "renovations", but as of now it is essentially the same bar it always has been (for better or worse).
Yep. I was by there this past Monday and looked through the windows. Other than bare walls the place hasn't changed. They did saw a rectangular piece out of the floor concrete and it looked like the back room had some dry wall being hung but other than a 4' Al step ladder no other tools around. Very disappointing based on my expectations...which I guess were not warranted.

Reactions: stormingnorm
Yep. I was by there this past Monday and looked through the windows. Other than bare walls the place hasn't changed. They did saw a rectangular piece out of the floor concrete and it looked like the back room had some dry wall being hung but other than a 4' Al step ladder no other tools around. Very disappointing based on my expectations...which I guess were not warranted.

Not sure what you expected to see. They did say that they wanted to keep the same atmosphere and I think they are doing that. Many of the changes that are going on are to fix up the infrastructure. Outwardly it won't look that much different, but overall the place will be in much better shape. I believe that the hole that you saw in the floor is part of putting new support columns in to fix up the foundation for the restaurant (what was Spats) and the apartments above.

If you had gone around the back, you would have been able to see the major work that's going on to put in the beer garden. It's currently all dug up.

This whole uproar over “The Skeller” - and the PR posturing in respones - is just goofy as hell.
A hole in the wall College Town bar changed ownership. Wow - what a momentous occasion :) .
This is an excellent "sum of its parts" explanation. Perhaps we should keep in mind that for others, the whole can represent something more.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
UA:
You work very hard (and very diligently) to support your friends - and their endeavors.
And you have from the day 1 wrt this business venture.

That makes you a good and well-meaning friend.

But there is nothing wrong with folks simply undertaking a business decision - - - identifying an opportunity, seizing it, and - hopefully - creating a profit for themselves.

This whole uproar over “The Skeller” - and the PR posturing in respones - is just goofy as hell.

A hole in the wall College Town bar changed ownership. Wow - what a momentous occasion :) .

Making it into either a Day of Mourning - or the Second Coming - is a pretty sad commentary.

Actually, I agree with you. I was at the Skeller on the day it closed and was specifically asked by someone what my opinion was. My answer was "I believe that a year from now we'll be in here drinking a beer wondering what the big deal was all about".

It shouldn't have been a big deal But it became front page news here in State College for one reason or another - and. at least initially, only one side of the story was being told. I thought the other side was getting a raw deal in the court of public opinion. That's why I posted, not so much because I'm a "good and well-meaning friend".

FTR - I'm only casual friends with the Herlochers and never met the Troskos until just recently (Tom three weeks ago, his wife the day the Skeller reopened).

Of course, having this discussion on a college sports forum where people go nutso over a bunch of kids running around on a field also seems "just goofy as hell".;)

Well, that's what happens when you try to steal someone else's business goodwill rather than paying for it.
No kidding. Nothing against the new owners, but who was their attorney that green-lighted the name of the new bar? Joe Amendola's business savvy brother?

Reactions: PSUSignore
Rathskeller is a German word. I don't think you can trademark it anymore than you could trademark "diner" or "coffee shop."
Where did anyone say it was trademarked? Any jury would rule in favor of the people that actually paid money for the business (and its name history) at this location at some point.

If I owned 80 year old Palm Beach Doughnuts and was evicted, I don't think I'd appreciate the new occupant naming their company Palm Beach Doughnuts and Pastries.

The new owners (Troskos?) will no doubt seek to defend their appropriation of the Rathskeller name by asserting that:

1. "Rathskeller" is a descriptive name (an online dictionary defines it as "a beer hall in a restaurant or a basement"), like "pub" or "blue" or "acme" or any number of adjectives one might use. The reason? Descriptive names are generally not entitled to trademark or service mark protection.

2. Putting the term "Doggie's" in front of "Rathskeller" differentiates it from "All American Rathskeller," so that there is no infringement.

The question there is likely to be whether that small addition eliminates a "likelihood of confusion" in the minds of would be patrons. The fact that the bar was most commonly referred to as just "The Rathskeller" or "The Skeller" suggests, to me at least, that the addition of "Doggie's" does not accomplish much in terms of differentiating the new establishment from the old establishment. And that is clearly what the Troskos wanted, or they and the Herlochers would not have fought so hard to bring back the old booths that the Gastigers sought to remove.

Where did anyone say it was trademarked? Any jury would rule in favor of the people that actually paid money for the business (and its name history) at this location at some point.

If I owned 80 year old Palm Beach Doughnuts and was evicted, I don't think I'd appreciate the new occupant naming their company Palm Beach Doughnuts and Pastries.
But what if they named it Bill’s Doughnuts? I see that as a better analogy (if you consider Rathskeller to be a generic name like “doughnut”).

But what if they named it Bill’s Doughnuts? I see that as a better analogy (if you consider Rathskeller to be a generic name like “doughnut”).
If "Bill's Doughnuts" was a former name of the business (or a close proximity) that the owner of Palm Beach Doughnuts purchased, then no dice.

nobody owns "Rathskeller" and I'll bet that even a PA court will be able to figure that out

Trademark infringement is very complex. With so many different levels to it. Most people just have the “outer shell” protected. You must have many different aspects covered and track records of using it in those ways. Unless you have a lot of money to throw down the drain. It’s truly not worth the fight. Even when your in the right. It can seriously bankrupt a business fighting if your up against a company with money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT