ADVERTISEMENT

Skeller reopening this weekend

Thanks.

It sickens me that Herwig's closed and is being replaced by another generic pizza joint. My "dream" would be for Herwig's to go in the Spat's place.

Reactions: Zenophile
Just to set the record straight, since I think the message attached to the original photo was missed by many. There isn't a trough in the Skeller any longer. Duke took it out when he remodeled the urinals a couple of years ago. The picture in the thread was taken at a bar in Germany not State College.

The Skeller had a soft opening last night. The Troskos are doing a very nice job cleaning the place up. They aren't changing the basic atmosphere of the place but are doing many basic infrastructure changes to make the joint better. For example, they're lowered the backs of the booths, so that you can see out the windows onto Pugh Street (also cleaned the windows so you can see through them). The base of the booths have been replaced because they were rotting away but the benches that you sit on remain the same. The also knocked out an interior wall between the front bar and the pool table area making the bar much more wide open. The plans for the garden area out back look fantastic too (it's all bulldozed up right now but it looks like it will be ready for the fall).

They plan on continuing the remodeling work over the summer while they open up on weekends. Come fall, they hope to be open full time.

Yea I thought it looked way too bright and clean to be The Skeller.;)

Just to set the record straight, since I think the message attached to the original photo was missed by many. There isn't a trough in the Skeller any longer. Duke took it out when he remodeled the urinals a couple of years ago. The picture in the thread was taken at a bar in Germany not State College.

The Skeller had a soft opening last night. The Troskos are doing a very nice job cleaning the place up. They aren't changing the basic atmosphere of the place but are doing many basic infrastructure changes to make the joint better. For example, they're lowered the backs of the booths, so that you can see out the windows onto Pugh Street (also cleaned the windows so you can see through them). The base of the booths have been replaced because they were rotting away but the benches that you sit on remain the same. The also knocked out an interior wall between the front bar and the pool table area making the bar much more wide open. The plans for the garden area out back look fantastic too (it's all bulldozed up right now but it looks like it will be ready for the fall).

They plan on continuing the remodeling work over the summer while they open up on weekends. Come fall, they hope to be open full time.

LOL, I think there was dirt on them from the 70's.

Thanks.

It sickens me that Herwig's closed and is being replaced by another generic pizza joint. My "dream" would be for Herwig's to go in the Spat's place.

I'm hoping that Bernd starts up something else at some point. The last time I was in, I got to chat with him for a few minutes and thank him for the years of good food. As his parents got older, he was getting burned out and he said he thought it was better to shut Herwig's down before he started to hate it.

I'm hoping that Bernd starts up something else at some point. The last time I was in, I got to chat with him for a few minutes and thank him for the years of good food. As his parents got older, he was getting burned out and he said he thought it was better to shut Herwig's down before he started to hate it.

Yep--I know he had/has back problems too.

I always respected how they made everything from scratch. My last meal there was a veal cutlet in a bacon-mushroom cream sauce--fantastic as always. I could drink their salad dressing too.

On Facebook, Bernd posted about possibly doing pop-up type things around town--I hope that comes to fruition. I miss the place; it was such a unique place.

The Skeller just announced on FB that they will be reopening this weekend.

They opened at 2 PM today for a four-hour preview. I cut slightly short a 2 PM meeting with a potential collaborator at the university and got there around 2:45 PM. It was a quiet crowd nursing bottled/canned beer while a video crew was setting up. There was nothing on the walls, and no small "Last Call Memorial" to their greatest customer. I wanted a Guinness draft so I left.

P.S. I can confirm no trough, just one stall and several urinals.

They opened at 2 PM today for a four-hour preview. I cut slightly short a 2 PM meeting with a potential collaborator at the university and got there around 2:45 PM. It was a quiet crowd nursing bottled/canned beer while a video crew was setting up. There was nothing on the walls, and no small "Last Call Memorial" to their greatest customer. I wanted a Guinness draft so I left.

P.S. I can confirm no trough, just one stall and several urinals.

Four hour? They were open from 2 pm to 2 am.

Someone else from Reading might know for sure, but I thought that Stanley's in Reading had a setup like that way back when. Stanley's was a shot-and-a-beer bar frequented by working class folk and women weren't allowed in the bar area. It's now closed, believe it or not.:)

This is absolutely 100% true. Stanley's was exactly how you described. They had a restaurant in the back that was open to everyone (men & women), but the bar up front was only open to men.

Funny story about Stanley's. Back when me & my buddies were 16-17 years old (would have been like early 80s) we ordered those bogus fake IDs from that back classified pages of The Rolling Stone Magazine. One of the first nights with our fake IDs we go into Stanleys.... Old man Stanley (Yes, there was actually a real to life Stanley) is behind the bar. He comes up to serve us and he says, "You boys have IDs".... we say "Yes" and we start reaching into our wallets to show him. Stanley replies "I don't need to see them, don't show them to me, I just need to know that you have them and need to ask"...... Stanley proceeded to serve us our beers. Stanley will always be fondly remembered by me as the first bar in my life I was ever served.

Looking back. I wish I had some type of Stanley's memorabilia.

so has anybody ever heard of this. I was talking to a guy this weekend that grew up in Philly. He said there was an old bar that was sort of a VFW type bar that had a essentially a trough on the floor at the base of the bar so guys didn't have to get up from their bar stool to take a piss. this i guess was done in the 50's and 60's and was still at the bar but no longer in use. so literally while sitting at the bar, they could whip it out, take a piss on the floor as the floor had about a 6" wide by 3" deep trough in it that sloped down to the end of the bar where there was a drain. the bartender would occasionally turn on the water that would flush that trough out.
There is a bar in the Geno's Pat's steak area called the Birthday Bar that has a trough at the base of the bar.

Yea I thought it looked way too bright and clean to be The Skeller.;)

Skeller-Opening-Day-1.jpg
Skeller-Opening-Day-3.jpg
Skeller-Opening-Day-2.jpg

they could sell bottles of the old filth to sell to those who long for "the good old days" of the place

The plan is to be open on weekends through the summer, while they continue with making improvements to the property.during the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised though if they eventually decided that doing the necessary cleanups to open Friday afternoons for the weekend becomes too much of the pain and they just shut it down until they are ready for a grand opening.

The plan is to be open on weekends through the summer, while they continue with making improvements to the property.during the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised though if they eventually decided that doing the necessary cleanups to open Friday afternoons for the weekend becomes too much of the pain and they just shut it down until they are ready for a grand opening.
I'd have to imagine bars in State College fight to break even on week days during the Summer. It's interesting though that the landlords are now holding up the grand opening.

I'd have to imagine bars in State College fight to break even on week days during the Summer. It's interesting though that the landlords are now holding up the grand opening.

Huh? Not exactly sure what you're suggesting here.

Huh? Not exactly sure what you're suggesting here.
In the video from the link, the owner said the grand opening is still in flux because the landlord still has a lot of renovating to do above

I'm not suggesting anything. I wasn't one of the people making the trek to SC to see the Skeller one last time. I stopped by for a drink most times when I was in town as recently as mid December. That being said, times change and it may be for the better. I'll know when I stop by again. I'm all for improvement!

In the video from the link, the owner said the grand opening is still in flux because the landlord still has a lot of renovating to do above

I'm not suggesting anything. I wasn't one of the people making the trek to SC to see the Skeller one last time. I stopped by for a drink most times when I was in town as recently as mid December. That being said, times change and it may be for the better. I'll know when I stop by again. I'm all for improvement!

Ah. Now I understand. It's not so much that the landlord is holding things up, it's that getting the entire building in shape requires work in the Skeller, which is basically the building's basement. Trosko is coordinating with the landlord so that the building rehab can go on and he can also open for business part time.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
so has anybody ever heard of this. I was talking to a guy this weekend that grew up in Philly. He said there was an old bar that was sort of a VFW type bar that had a essentially a trough on the floor at the base of the bar so guys didn't have to get up from their bar stool to take a piss. this i guess was done in the 50's and 60's and was still at the bar but no longer in use. so literally while sitting at the bar, they could whip it out, take a piss on the floor as the floor had about a 6" wide by 3" deep trough in it that sloped down to the end of the bar where there was a drain. the bartender would occasionally turn on the water that would flush that trough out.
When I was at Penn State, I knew a couple guys who would just put an empty pitcher under the table to take care of business. It was all fun and games until a poor girl refilled her beer from the wrong pitcher. That didn’t end well.

Reactions: odshowtime
This is absolutely 100% true. Stanley's was exactly how you described. They had a restaurant in the back that was open to everyone (men & women), but the bar up front was only open to men.

Funny story about Stanley's. Back when me & my buddies were 16-17 years old (would have been like early 80s) we ordered those bogus fake IDs from that back classified pages of The Rolling Stone Magazine. One of the first nights with our fake IDs we go into Stanleys.... Old man Stanley (Yes, there was actually a real to life Stanley) is behind the bar. He comes up to serve us and he says, "You boys have IDs".... we say "Yes" and we start reaching into our wallets to show him. Stanley replies "I don't need to see them, don't show them to me, I just need to know that you have them and need to ask"...... Stanley proceeded to serve us our beers. Stanley will always be fondly remembered by me as the first bar in my life I was ever served.

Looking back. I wish I had some type of Stanley's memorabilia.

I'm from East Reading and heard stories about Stanley's back in the day. 1 story was about a female PLCB officer coming in to investigate Stanley's "females in the back only" policy. She walked in the front and Stanley told her that females could only enter in through the back. She pulled out her ID and told him she was going to fine him for his practice. He told her he didn't give a sh-t and that if she wanted to fine him, she'd have to take her a-- around back and serve it there! LOL !

Stanley's can be seen at the 31 min mark of this video about Rdg in 1974.

Last edited:
Every GameDay I would drink at the Skellar and eat at Herwigs. This is getting ridiculous!! What's going on up there?

Every GameDay I would drink at the Skellar and eat at Herwigs. This is getting ridiculous!! What's going on up there?
Being candid, I was just in State College and was deeply disappointed with the quality of food downtown. It’s as if none of the restaurants can afford to invest in their businesses or food quality. It felt to me that a number of “old regulars” were teetering on the brink. I don’t know if it’s competition on campus or national chains moving in, but it’s disappointing.

Being candid, I was just in State College and was deeply disappointed with the quality of food downtown. It’s as if none of the restaurants can afford to invest in their businesses or food quality. It felt to me that a number of “old regulars” were teetering on the brink. I don’t know if it’s competition on campus or national chains moving in, but it’s disappointing.
I suspect it's a perfect storm of drastically escalating downtown real estate value & the Amazon phenomenon. With each incoming class, the population of students who are accustomed to traditional brick & mortar shopping are being replaced by a population moreso accustomed to online commerce & front-door delivery.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I suspect it's a perfect storm of drastically escalating downtown real estate value & the Amazon phenomenon. With each incoming class, the population of students who are accustomed to traditional brick & mortar shopping are being replaced by a population moreso accustomed to online commerce & front-door delivery.
It’s possible. I don’t know how eCommerce displaces local eateries. I did see the new Target and Amazon (book sales, I assume) retail locations. That erodes the last bastion local businesses had: a captive student audience downtown. I can’t see it ending well for places like McLanahan’s or the independent bookstores.

Reactions: odshowtime
Don’t cross the streams. The skellar is not reopening. Call it the sequel.

SKELLAR 2. The destroying of the troughs!

It’s possible. I don’t know how eCommerce displaces local eateries. I did see the new Target and Amazon (book sales, I assume) retail locations. That erodes the last bastion local businesses had: a captive student audience downtown. I can’t see it ending well for places like McLanahan’s or the independent bookstores.

Maybe via OrderUp

OrderUp is a food delivery service that was founded in State College in 2009 by a couple of PSU alums. They sold the business to GrubHub in 2015 for $69M.

Reactions: Zenophile
I'm from East Reading and heard stories about Stanley's back in the day. 1 story was about a female PLCB officer coming in to investigate Stanley's "females in the back only" policy. She walked in the front and Stanley told her that females could only enter in through the back. She pulled out her ID and told him she was going to fine him for his practice. He told her he didn't give a sh-t and that if she wanted to fine him, she'd have to take her a-- around back and serve it there! LOL !

Stanley's can be seen at the 31 min mark of this video about Rdg in 1974.

I'm amazed my Dad wasn't at the bar. He stopped for a shot and a beer every day after work.

Reactions: LionsandBear
Maybe via OrderUp

OrderUp is a food delivery service that was founded in State College in 2009 by a couple of PSU alums. They sold the business to GrubHub in 2015 for $69M.
Wouldn’t that help local eateries? I can’t imagine easy delivery of local food hurting sales. Maybe it allowed eateries outside of downtown with cheaper overhead to swoop in?

Wouldn’t that help local eateries? I can’t imagine easy delivery of local food hurting sales. Maybe it allowed eateries outside of downtown with cheaper overhead to swoop in?

I don't know which is why I attached "maybe" to my comment. What I believe though is that if people stop going out to eat, downtown restaurants will be hurt. I think you need live bodies in your establishment to make a go of it.

You're unlikely to find great food among restaurants that cater to a student market--that's the pizza and sandwich crowd. There's enough money in State College (actually, there's a lot of $$$ in State College) to supply patronage for some high quality restaurants outside the College Avenue/Beaver Avenue footprint. But I'm not sure where in Greater State College I'd take a high-level business client for lunch or dinner. Recommendations?

You're unlikely to find great food among restaurants that cater to a student market--that's the pizza and sandwich crowd. There's enough money in State College (actually, there's a lot of $$$ in State College) to supply patronage for some high quality restaurants outside the College Avenue/Beaver Avenue footprint. But I'm not sure where in Greater State College I'd take a high-level business client for lunch or dinner. Recommendations?

Live in area, and we have found great food in area is slim to none. Most places are average with some being very good.

Carnegie Inn is where I would go. Some may say NIttany Lion Inn...meh. They should be better...but they tend to disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT