ADVERTISEMENT

signs of spring

Love their voices!

Cardinals generally winter over, no? If so, do they not sing in the winter? Never really thought about it...
they are here all winter- I feed them, but I've never heard them sing during the winter. I have noticed they seem to have different songs from early spring than in summer- I don't know what they are saying, but they do.

Reactions: BBrown
Saw about a thousand geese flying north around the Scranton area this morning - they know what's up.

I heard the first cardinal song just now- sure sign of spring
....signs of spring
McDaddy came out of his hole and saw his shadow?

if this weather continues to the Blue-White, it is going to be like a day on the beach;)
th

Reactions: We Are . . .
they are here all winter- I feed them, but I've never heard them sing during the winter. I have noticed they seem to have different songs from early spring than in summer- I don't know what they are saying, but they do.
In early spring they sing " cut down the nets"......haha Go Cards!

Reactions: psu00
Wrong! "Fake" news! (hate using that word). Cardinals winter in Florida and then retreat to St. Louis in the summer and then fly off to Phoenix in early September. ;-) Hahaha!

The cardinals sing from the start of spring through somewhere around the middle of summer. They're around, but they're not sitting in one spot singing away for minutes on end. They've been yapping away for the last 2 weeks in my south hills neighborhood outside Pittsburgh.

Now there are 2 woodpeckers that I've started hearing over the last few days. Took down a dead tree this morning and the termites were already going to work.

The cardinals sing from the start of spring through somewhere around the middle of summer. They're around, but they're not sitting in one spot singing away for minutes on end. They've been yapping away for the last 2 weeks in my south hills neighborhood outside Pittsburgh.

Now there are 2 woodpeckers that I've started hearing over the last few days. Took down a dead tree this morning and the termites were already going to work.

We've had one that started up a few mornings ago, usually around 6am... There's 3 or 4 male and female Cardinals that hang around and visit the feeder. There's at least 1Bluejay too, but it doesn't come very close and doesn't sit still very long

2z4cqie.jpg

From the last snow

ei9qb8.jpg

343q9o2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got crocuses (or is that croci;)) blooming throughout my lawn.... 75 in Columbus today.

But I doubt we're done with winter. I still remember the April blizzard where it was 70 the week before and after the 1-2 ft we got.

We've had one that started up a few mornings ago, usually around 6am... There's 3 or 4 male and female Cardinals that hang around and visit the feeder. There's at least 1Bluejay too, but it doesn't come very close and doesn't sit still very long

2z4cqie.jpg

From the last snow

ei9qb8.jpg

343q9o2.jpg
Great pictures Rug, one of the priorities for the past seven years of my life has been taking care of the birds through the winter months.

Reactions: LionJim
My father always said the true sign of spring was not robins returning as many are around all winter. In fact we had them around during Christmas - New Year's week this year.
True sign is the road kill of skunks. Yep, he swore by it - dead skunks on the road told you spring was here.
We've seen several here in NW corner of Ohiya.
But, a good sun dress is acceptable also. :)
OL

How about the line of thunderstorms that just pushed thru the eastern part of PA? Sign of spring?

Saw Silver Maple trees blooming in Cambria and Blair Coutnies yesterday. I have never heard or read about something like this before. They aren't usually even the first trees to bloom. I hear the apple crop around here will probably be destroyed by this weather. Last year sucked for tree fruits as well.
I like the weather to be what it is supposed to be. If I want to be hot all of the time I'll move to the Amazon.

How about the line of thunderstorms that just pushed thru the eastern part of PA? Sign of spring?
They were pretty intense. My wife was coaching at a Science Olympiad competition at North Pocono HS and it got interrupted by a tornado warning.

Saw Silver Maple trees blooming in Cambria and Blair Coutnies yesterday. I have never heard or read about something like this before. They aren't usually even the first trees to bloom. I hear the apple crop around here will probably be destroyed by this weather. Last year sucked for tree fruits as well.
I like the weather to be what it is supposed to be. If I want to be hot all of the time I'll move to the Amazon.

My brother-in-law has a winery on Lake Erie, so I expect he's concerned too.

They were pretty intense. My wife was coaching at a Science Olympiad competition at North Pocono HS and it got interrupted by a tornado warning.

Tornado warnings were in Lancaster and York counties too. Tornado warnings in February!!o_Oo_Oo_O Lots of trees down and some hail into the Harrisburg region too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT