ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: why the F was Noah not playing?

H
There is stark difference in how the offense performed in the second half.
That drive went 88 yards in 13 plays and used almost 5 minutes of game time.
PSU’s next series went 5 plays 21 yards, then the next one 5 plays 20 yards, and their last series 5 plays 25 yards.
They had more yards in that one series than the other three series afterwards combined. And If we we look first series of the half they went 5 plays and 14 yards.
So in the second half the there were four non Cain series that had a total of 80 yards of offense and one Cain series that had a total of 88.
If PSU had repeated that Cain series after Pitt went 3 and out, I think it would have broken Pitt’s spirit and PSU wins by 20+.
My problem is they finally found something that worked and instead of sticking with it, at least for another series, they completely switched things up.
It was like they put a completely different offense on the field.
Yea it was interesting to see to see the two back sets but results are results.
The point of the game isn’t to show off all your toys and offensive packages.
Sometimes the best adjustment is not making an adjustment.
Yeah, I don’t think Pitt was expecting that sort of running game from us. It appeared their main objective was to stop our passing offense and this was reasonable. Would Narduzzi have been able to adjust if we kept using Cain in that running package ? We’ll never know.

Yeah, I don’t think Pitt was expecting that sort of running game from us. It appeared their main objective was to stop our passing offense and this was reasonable. Would Narduzzi have been able to adjust if we kept using Cain in that running package ? We’ll never know.
I agree, and we will never know because they didn’t even try. The coaching staff needs to put the team in the best position to win and so far we haven’t heard a good explanation of why Cain wasn’t put back in the game.

That's a lot of ifs. We simply don't know and Ford and Journey have played well. Both have broken off big plays including this game. Clearly, JF gets this as Journey, at least for this game, was our starter and not Ricky.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Here's my take on the game. We adjusted our D line front a bit and total destroyed their running game. We also never let them get outside. That's what wins games more than stopping the passing game. In crunch time it usually comes down to two things. Stopping the run and getting pressure on the QB. We did both extremely well.

Here's my take on the game. We adjusted our D line front a bit and total destroyed their running game. We also never let them get outside. That's what wins games more than stopping the passing game. In crunch time it usually comes down to two things. Stopping the run and getting pressure on the QB. We did both extremely well.

I don't think too many people have much complaining about the D. There are some small issues like stopping 3rd downs. IMO, this is a huge problem. We had a hard time stopping Buffalo and pitt on 3rd downs and allowed them to eat up extended drives because we could not get them off the field. That's something that needs to be fixed in a hurry. But bottom line is that the D gave up 10 points. You hold opponents to 10 points and you win about 99% of games.

Most people's frustration boils down to the O.

Reactions: Hotshoe
I don't think too many people have much complaining about the D. There are some small issues like stopping 3rd downs. IMO, this is a huge problem. We had a hard time stopping Buffalo and pitt on 3rd downs and allowed them to eat up extended drives because we could not get them off the field. That's something that needs to be fixed in a hurry. But bottom line is that the D gave up 10 points. You hold opponents to 10 points and you win about 99% of games.

Absodamnlutely!

And if any coach should be hearing sh$t, it's Seider. His running backs aren't blocking worth a damn. Yet everyone want's to blame Rhane, call jet sweeps, and screen plays as if that's the holy grail. It isn't about play calling and rarely is. Rhane called a great game and did exactly what Franklin wanted him to do, stretch the field against press man coverage. We didn't pick up blitzes and that was on the running backs for the most part as well as Sean.

Sean went through two extremes the last two games. He under threw receivers last week and kept the ball too much. This week he over threw every deep pass and almost never kept on wide open running lanes. This O goes as the O line and QB goes. That's the offense we run. Trace was really good at it. Sean will get there, that I have no doubt.

Was Cain injured? Did he mouth off to the coaches? Did he threaten to enter the portal? Seriously, 1 JB run (and it was a great one) aside, was there anyone better at RB than Cain? He was in the groove, the offense was clicking... and after the TD (his second)... he stood on the sidelines with a WTF look the rest of the game.

I tried reading thru a bunch of threads but this wasn't addressed (although several of my buds were asking about it). So... maybe the rest of you saw something he wasn't doing right? I didn't, but maybe I missed it. Or maybe he got injured. I dunno.

Any insight here is welcome. [Why do I suspect there's a need to play 'em all so none of them gets pissed and transfers?]
I suspect the same thing. And now what, with two more excellent running backs coming in next year? Someone(s) is/are going to say bye-bye.

One other note. Trace would have gotten the first down that Sean slid a bit early on. I think people need to remember, Trace took a while to get it as well. Sean will get it, he's very close. When he does, look the hell out.

Cripes... thankfully I missed that dungheap by being on the road. If that's his REAL answer we have serious issues.

It *is* this - Franklin isn't rotating backs according to the hot hand; he has certain guys for certain packages - that is why Cain was out and Ford/Brown was in. Folks close to the program (such as Sean Fitz) commented on it after the game and said the lackluster RB performance is due more to how PSU uses players - and not necessarily the players themselves. FWIW.

Also let Pickett have a career passing day. Amazing he couldn't throw a TD with 30 completions and 351 yards. We sold out for the run and it worked - since Narduzzi took the ball out of his best player's hands from the 1 on a drive where he went for it on 4th down. Stunning.

Pitt didn’t need to steal signals.

After virtually every incompletion on first down, we ran up the middle on second down. Thus, Pitt came with everything on third down.

This scenario played out AT LEAST half a dozen times during the game. Second and ten, we run EVERY time = third and long = Pitt brings the pressure = punt it away.

Pitt didn’t need to steal signals.

After virtually every incompletion on first down, we ran up the middle on second down. Thus, Pitt came with everything on third down.

This scenario played out AT LEAST half a dozen times during the game. Second and ten, we run EVERY time = third and long = Pitt brings the pressure = punt it away.

Pitt lost the game, so the strategy worked.

It was closer than expected though because the players didn't always do what the coaches told them to do.

Reactions: Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT