ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Showtime piece on Basketball in Prince George County MD

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Didn’t realize that so many great basketball players came from that county. Then again, once I saw that DeMatha was in PGC, it made sense. There was a Penn State connection as Navarro Bowman had a couple of small comments/clips.

PG County has a lot of basketball and football talent. In fact, this was the go-to county in Maryland that Larry Johnson recruited and had success in when he was on the Penn State staff. Franklin has also had some success in recruiting PG County too.

I live near and coached with and against many pg county guys. Different world here in terms of athletes. Maybe not the purest form of basketball but just so many kids who can at least handle the ball. Kids grow up being told they have to hoop from such an early age that they get ridiculed if they aren't great.

So much great talent it's the iron sharpens iron idea. Plus so many personal trainers that are former athletes the kids get tons of attention to hone their skills

I live near and coached with and against many pg county guys. Different world here in terms of athletes. Maybe not the purest form of basketball but just so many kids who can at least handle the ball. Kids grow up being told they have to hoop from such an early age that they get ridiculed if they aren't great.

So much great talent it's the iron sharpens iron idea. Plus so many personal trainers that are former athletes the kids get tons of attention to hone their skills
They mentioned a few of the rec centers in the area. Plus, KD just built a $16MM recreation and college prep center.

It’s not just basketball. I spent many Saturday afternoons scouting/filming in PG county. 3 consecutive Saturdays watching Derrick Williams. Unbelievable HS talent. Navarro Bowman was one of the best high school players I have ever seen. The thing I remember most was shaking hands with Suitland (Bowman’s HS) and how many of the players were carrying a kid through the line. There were so many good athletes that being a dad probably kept many from playing in college. Nick Lynch (R.I.P.) was an amazing man and mentor and dealt with problems most of us can’t even fathom. He was like a father to a great many of his players. He always had his teams prepared. It is amazing the amount of athletic talent in MD. And as mentioned above PG county specifically. (The Washington Post did an article about the NFL draft this year and all the players from PG drafted.) something like 10.

They mentioned a few of the rec centers in the area. Plus, KD just built a $16MM recreation and college prep center.
Summer league at central hs in Seat pleasant md, played national Christian when KD was a sophomore I believe. We had a good team with 6 college players on our team but he was a different level. Kids there play so hard, its crazy. Intensity levels through the roof most games

It’s not just basketball. I spent many Saturday afternoons scouting/filming in PG county. 3 consecutive Saturdays watching Derrick Williams. Unbelievable HS talent. Navarro Bowman was one of the best high school players I have ever seen. The thing I remember most was shaking hands with Suitland (Bowman’s HS) and how many of the players were carrying a kid through the line. There were so many good athletes that being a dad probably kept many from playing in college. Nick Lynch (R.I.P.) was an amazing man and mentor and dealt with problems most of us can’t even fathom. He was like a father to a great many of his players. He always had his teams prepared. It is amazing the amount of athletic talent in MD. And as mentioned above PG county specifically. (The Washington Post did an article about the NFL draft this year and all the players from PG drafted.) something like 10.
You're right, PG County is loaded for football as well. Here's the NCAA data broken done by percentage of players recruited by D1 schools:

EHl6PcYXUAAB4gA.jpg

Attached picture is of DeMatha baketball team.
Right to Left:
Chase Young - OSU unanimous All-American and No 2 Overall NFL pick
Markelle Fultz - No 1 pick NBA
Justin Gielen - Univ of MD soccer player - 2X Youth National Champion, 2019 NCAA Champion

Not a bad start to a HS basketball team.
A little bit of athleticism there.

EHl6PcYXUAAB4gA.jpg

Attached picture is of DeMatha baketball team.
Right to Left:
Chase Young - OSU unanimous All-American and No 2 Overall NFL pick
Markelle Fultz - No 1 pick NBA
Justin Gielen - Univ of MD soccer player - 2X Youth National Champion, 2019 NCAA Champion

Not a bad start to a HS basketball team.
A little bit of athleticism there.
In the piece, they said that some senior classes at DeMatha have 100% getting a D1 scholarship somewhere.

Reactions: FourDGlory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT