ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP - meatchicken May cancel season

Darn, I really thought Michigan had a chance to beat Ohio State this year.

Oh who am I kidding.

Reactions: psu00
Pres not optimistic on any Fall sports happening. He "expressed skepticism about the viability of fall sports being played at all this year'.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...none-for-wolveries-if-students-not-on-campus/
Too bad for them. Hopefully PSU admin & BOT show some fortitude and open up early June for athletes like other B1G teams.
We were in Tenneessee the last few days. I predict if the SEC doesn't play football this year, there will be alot of politicians voted out of office. You DO MOT mess with football season in the SEC. There are some interesting stories down there about not allowing politics to interfere with Saturday football games, especially in Louisiana which normally holds many of their primaries on Saturdays in the fall. They purposely schedule them when LSU is on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiber and 91Joe95
If I understand the situation, if the students don't come back at any school, football should be canceled--perhaps has to be canceled. How can it be safe for players but not students?

If all classes are online, is the university really open?

Reactions: 91Joe95
If I understand the situation, if the students don't come back at any school, football should be canceled--perhaps has to be canceled. How can it be safe for players but not students?

Well, we already know it is safe for students to come back to college and for players to play. What we don’t know is if the politicians will prevent either or both groups from coming back.

there will not be a college football season

Unless something goes completely off the rails at this point, there will be a season.

Even out here on the wacky left coast/Portland, things are quickly going back to normal. Other than my gym not being open and not being able to get a haircut, you cannot tell that we are in the middle of a pandemic... stores are open, traffic is normal, panhandlers are aggressive as usual, etc.

Unless something goes completely off the rails at this point, there will be a season.

Even out here on the wacky left coast/Portland, things are quickly going back to normal. Other than my gym not being open and not being able to get a haircut, you cannot tell that we are in the middle of a pandemic... stores are open, traffic is normal, panhandlers are aggressive as usual, etc.

Things are coming back to normal but the universities do not want to take the blame for an outbreak. IF there is a season there won't be anyone in attendance. I highly doubt that every school will participate

I think there will be a season and there will be fans at 50% capacity maybe. What will be tricky is how they divy up tickets. My daughters college already said they will be back for in person classes this fall - it is in Georgia.

EX5wxIoXYAQb7Ki

Happened before, could happen again..

1st of all... I do NOT see Michigan being "man on an island" and being one of the few schools not playing. If the majority of B1G schools play, all of the SEC schools play, all of the Big12 play .... then I do NOT see Michigan as "odd man out" and not playing.

BUT .... let's just hypothetically say that does happen. Can you imagine the migration of players from Michigan to other programs that are playing. To 17-22 year old guys, 1 year is an eternity. You ask a 17-22 year old to sacrifice 1 year, and it's like asking a 50 year old to sacrifice 10 years.

I'd say every player on Michigan's roster who is in their final season of eligibility in 2020 will consider a hardship transfer. Yes, they could always petition the NCAA to come back in 2021, but again to 20-21 year olds, waiting a full year is an eternity. Why would they put their final season of college football on hold until 2021, when they can simply transfer to a school that is playing. How about the guys who would be entering their 3rd year out of HS and after this year would be eligible to leave early for the NFL. I'd bet those guys would not want to stick around and wait. They already had it in their heads that they would spend 3 years in college then go pro. They are not waiting until 2021, they'd transfer as well.

Again, I do not see Michigan going thru with this. I see them caving and falling in line and playing games. But if they do, this would have serious ramifications on their roster. Think of how long it took us to rebuild our roster from being short on scholarships.

Don't a high percentage of football players already take online classes? I seem to remember reading about Joe Burrows schedule being online and am pretty sure JT Barrett was 100% online his last year. so to those that ask if you could have football without people on campus, the answer is yes.

Don't a high percentage of football players already take online classes? I seem to remember reading about Joe Burrows schedule being online and am pretty sure JT Barrett was 100% online his last year. so to those that ask if you could have football without people on campus, the answer is yes.

Its a percentage. Whether it's a high percentage, or higher than the average student on campus who also has access to online classes - have not seen any information/data to that end.

1st of all... I do NOT see Michigan being "man on an island" and being one of the few schools not playing. If the majority of B1G schools play, all of the SEC schools play, all of the Big12 play .... then I do NOT see Michigan as "odd man out" and not playing.

BUT .... let's just hypothetically say that does happen. Can you imagine the migration of players from Michigan to other programs that are playing. To 17-22 year old guys, 1 year is an eternity. You ask a 17-22 year old to sacrifice 1 year, and it's like asking a 50 year old to sacrifice 10 years.

I'd say every player on Michigan's roster who is in their final season of eligibility in 2020 will consider a hardship transfer. Yes, they could always petition the NCAA to come back in 2021, but again to 20-21 year olds, waiting a full year is an eternity. Why would they put their final season of college football on hold until 2021, when they can simply transfer to a school that is playing. How about the guys who would be entering their 3rd year out of HS and after this year would be eligible to leave early for the NFL. I'd bet those guys would not want to stick around and wait. They already had it in their heads that they would spend 3 years in college then go pro. They are not waiting until 2021, they'd transfer as well.

Again, I do not see Michigan going thru with this. I see them caving and falling in line and playing games. But if they do, this would have serious ramifications on their roster. Think of how long it took us to rebuild our roster from being short on scholarships.
MSU announced they are bringing students back on campus in the fall. That just upped the stakes for UM.

Reactions: bison13
I think there will be a season and there will be fans at 50% capacity maybe. What will be tricky is how they divy up tickets. My daughters college already said they will be back for in person classes this fall - it is in Georgia.
The two seating options being discussed right now are checkerboard (18K) or serpentine (42K). I am afraid that Barron will make a cya decision and cancel season to avoid lawsuits, because there is NO way to adequately implement CDC recommendations in a football stadium. Ever try to socially distance at a piss trough? We should just get everyone to sign a waiver on their way into the stadium.

If most others play and Barron cancels PSU Seasons, then that is it....worse than the NCAA Sanctions. Why? Because the kids will understand that a cure isn't a sure thing so Barrons idea could technically last forever.

It also shows where we are as a society. There is no inherent risk in anything because everyone just sues. We are now making decisions not based on the virus but based on what some asshole will sue you for if they get it.

and just like that I just saw an article where a young lady has filed a lawsuit against CalU-PA because the online learning experience wasn't face to face!

It is people like this that need to get their shit straight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT