ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP- Franklin changing agents.

I think it just means he's about to get PAID. It could be by PSU or by USC/LSU but I don't think it signals he's moving elsewhere. If it's by PSU I'm guessing you won't hear his name rumored around for the next few years so probably a long term commitment coming from somebody.
how much more $$ do you need. It is State College. He already received a new contract.

The key phrase being “seven games in”. He may end up being terrible, but give the guy a chance to at least get his coat off before we give up on him and send him out the door. Of course that gives the Franklin haters another reason to bash Franklin and his revolving door of OC’s. But if he keeps them too long then he’s too loyal.
Agree…I think Yurcich deserves a chance…several years if possible…when having a healthy QB, he showed much promise - despite inheriting a weak run game. He could by Ryan Day 2.0 - depending on how things shake out with our current situation.

The key phrase being “seven games in”. He may end up being terrible, but give the guy a chance to at least get his coat off before we give up on him and send him out the door. Of course that gives the Franklin haters another reason to bash Franklin and his revolving door of OC’s. But if he keeps them too long then he’s too loyal.
Is your goal to be the dick in every post? You’re like a broken record every day. Find a post and try to pound someone till they agree with you.

Reactions: zubrus1
Seven games in, he hasn’t exactly lit up the scoreboard. And this past game was an abject disaster.
Nor have we seen any improvement at all in the running game through 7 games. I'll give it to him that Clifford does seem more in control when healthy as well as accurate, but this offense will finish in the bottom half or bottom third of the Big Ten and possibly dead last in rushing.

Loyalty is a 2 way street and a HC using "leverage" every year while getting his buyout lowered every year is red flag. Never mind the fact he is swapping agents....nothing to see there I guess. This game of chicken every year is BS and the you don't know what he is saying line is utter BS. He will tell everyone he is staying until the ink is dry and then will say SCHOOL X will invest in me and the program, PSU wasn't willing to do so. I loved my time there...yada, yada, yada. That will be his line to the recruits too, come with me and I'll get you better NIL deals. When you see Jimbo talk about A&M and deny any interest in a real way and then watch JF skirt around the issue with his vague BS....you have be pretty naïve not to see he is playing PSU quite well. Sorry, but if you are losing to Illinois and shopping yourself around annually....don't expect loyalty back. It's year 9 and he's still doing the same sh!t every year.

Last edited:
Everyone has weaknesses. For this topic though, no one has a clue why he changed agents, but that won’t stop some on this board from spouting off their uninformed opinions.
It is more then a clue. Franklin's current contract of 38.5 million is through 2025. he needs a new agent for what? The handwriting is on the wall. He is deserting his commitment and his kids who he asks much of! I for one find it appalling.

James sees the Saban AFLAC commercials and is not happy that Armstrong wasn't able to set him up with some NIL deals. Hence the switch to Sexton.

It is more then a clue. Franklin's current contract of 38.5 million is through 2025. he needs a new agent for what? The handwriting is on the wall. He is deserting his commitment and his kids who he asks much of! I for one find it appalling.

Bad look for sure.

Trojans Wire is all over it but thinks it may signal a shift to LSU.

This whole thing is starting to feel like a slow-motion car wreck:

Reactions: psu00 and maxoscar
How did we do in Joe Morehead’s 7th game?
Don't know. But I'll go out on a limb and say there were add handful of plays where Saquan was given the ball standing completely still and tackled almost immediately for a loss.
Point is, there was plenty of hate for that offense at the time.

Not dumb just an ass. Apparently it's the only thing he's good at.
I agree. He's reasonably intelligent. He's also one of the best non-football topic posters on this board. On help topics, for example, he's great. He really knows his stuff and articulates his advice clearly. His opinions on all aspects of football are bizarre. He knows it too. He's part troll on football topics.

Nor have we seen any improvement at all in the running game through 7 games. I'll give it to him that Clifford does seem more in control when healthy as well as accurate, but this offense will finish in the bottom half or bottom third of the Big Ten and possibly dead last in rushing.

Loyalty is a 2 way street and a HC using "leverage" every year while getting his buyout lowered every year is red flag. Never mind the fact he is swapping agents....nothing to see there I guess. This game of chicken every year is BS and the you don't know what he is saying line is utter BS. He will tell everyone he is staying until the ink is dry and then will say SCHOOL X will invest in me and the program, PSU wasn't willing to do so. I loved my time there...yada, yada, yada. That will be his line to the recruits too, come with me and I'll get you better NIL deals. When you see Jimbo talk about A&M and deny any interest in a real way and then watch JF skirt around the issue with his vague BS....you have be pretty naïve not to see he is playing PSU quite well. Sorry, but if you are losing to Illinois and shopping yourself around annually....don't expect loyalty back. It's year 9 and he's still doing the same sh!t every year.
If Franklin leaves I do hope MY is retained or the next coach gets a proven OC. He seems to have promise and maybe it will be enough to retain Allar and some other recruits.

The run game under Franklin has mostly been garbage aside from Barkley and Sanders who made a bunch of yards on their own.

Reactions: MacNit07
7 games is more than enough. This isn’t the NFL. These are college kids that rotate in and out every few years.

Joe Moorhead's 7th game was October 22, 2016....Penn State 24 Ohio State 21.....JoMo's offense barely did anything.

Well according to some the scoreboard is the only thing that counts so they put up 24. We all know they had a ST TD, but they still managed to kick a FG and score 2 other times against tOSU....not Illinois. Now mind you I don't believe tOSU ran for 350 on that night and our defense came up with TFL and sack after sack to close out the game.

Reactions: MacNit07
" college football powerhouse coach James Franklin."

Well, it would seem that "top men" with a lot of money are willing to shell out for one James Franklin.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I just want to throw something out to the board and get perspective. Is there sort of a "term limit" on head coaches at particular schools? I mean from the coaches vantage point and the schools? Where successes have been maximized and the school with that current coach has gone as far as they could? Is there such a think of coaching personalities that are more suited to "program building," but not "program stabilizing" long term? Of course Saban is both, and his sell by date only approaches when he wants it to. His relationship is unique- the school provides him everything he could ever want and in return he provides the best possible football program, year in and year out. Could Dabo be a guy better suited to developing a program(one bad year is admittedly too short a sample), but young, energetic, marketable guys like Franklin might be best suited for building than taking the next step with his current program. He might know that about himself. I feel 8 years is sort of a reasonable shelf life for a coach and a school. Does the coach become stale to the fans and administrators and team? Does the school become stale to the coach? There is something exciting and motivating on both sides to start anew from time to time. I feel that way about business too. There should be very few lifetime appointees, it's sort of healthy to get new perspective, a new voice for an organization every so often.

I for one hope Franklin stays, but I think the fans are starting to fade on him a bit, I clearly have no knowledge, but after 8 years, I sort of wonder if the players have begun to tune it out. The same stuff that was so motivating 8 years ago(the starts with I love, ends with I love you etc.) probably elicits eye-rolls after 8 years. I really don't want Franklin to go, but if he isn't as motivated as his was in year one, then it's probably time to move on for both the school and him. I'm sure he feels it. I think a cleansing might be good for both. He would start over again, but be in the limelight and people would hang on all the sloganeering we have grown sick of. The program would likely suffer for a few years, but on a purely entertainment stand-point, it would be fun to watch a new coach grab hold of the program and see if he could build on what Franklin has done. I have always thought hanging onto a coach that "is what he is" is sort of football purgatory. No hard feelings if Franklin loses 2-3 games a year, but as a fan, it just might be interesting to see someone else take a shot at it. Personally, I'd shake Franklin's hand. I think he has been a really good coach and represented the University mostly well. I wish we could keep his damn good recruiting class, but if indeed he does leave, I'll be okay with it.

Well according to some the scoreboard is the only thing that counts so they put up 24. We all know they had a ST TD, but they still managed to kick a FG and score 2 other times against tOSU....not Illinois. Now mind you I don't believe tOSU ran for 350 on that night and our defense came up with TFL and sack after sack to close out the game.
Remember that other night we were up on tOSU a good amount and they adjusted and kept hitting the RB in the flat and came back and beat us because we didn't adjust to stop it? Then last Saturday the same was open all game and we didn't do the same?

I just want to throw something out to the board and get perspective. Is there sort of a "term limit" on head coaches at particular schools? I mean from the coaches vantage point and the schools? Where successes have been maximized and the school with that current coach has gone as far as they could? Is there such a think of coaching personalities that are more suited to "program building," but not "program stabilizing" long term? Of course Saban is both, and his sell by date only approaches when he wants it to. His relationship is unique- the school provides him everything he could ever want and in return he provides the best possible football program, year in and year out. Could Dabo be a guy better suited to developing a program(one bad year is admittedly too short a sample), but young, energetic, marketable guys like Franklin might be best suited for building than taking the next step with his current program. He might know that about himself. I feel 8 years is sort of a reasonable shelf life for a coach and a school. Does the coach become stale to the fans and administrators and team? Does the school become stale to the coach? There is something exciting and motivating on both sides to start anew from time to time. I feel that way about business too. There should be very few lifetime appointees, it's sort of healthy to get new perspective, a new voice for an organization every so often.

I for one hope Franklin stays, but I think the fans are starting to fade on him a bit, I clearly have no knowledge, but after 8 years, I sort of wonder if the players have begun to tune it out. The same stuff that was so motivating 8 years ago(the starts with I love, ends with I love you etc.) probably elicits eye-rolls after 8 years. I really don't want Franklin to go, but if he isn't as motivated as his was in year one, then it's probably time to move on for both the school and him. I'm sure he feels it. I think a cleansing might be good for both. He would start over again, but be in the limelight and people would hang on all the sloganeering we have grown sick of. The program would likely suffer for a few years, but on a purely entertainment stand-point, it would be fun to watch a new coach grab hold of the program and see if he could build on what Franklin has done. I have always thought hanging onto a coach that "is what he is" is sort of football purgatory. No hard feelings if Franklin loses 2-3 games a year, but as a fan, it just might be interesting to see someone else take a shot at it. Personally, I'd shake Franklin's hand. I think he has been a really good coach and represented the University mostly well. I wish we could keep his damn good recruiting class, but if indeed he does leave, I'll be okay with it.
I think history says Urban has a relatively short term limit wherever he coaches.

This move IMO puts the Penn State athletics department at a crossroads. What kind of program does PSU want to be going forward? OSU athletic department outspent us by almost $60m in 2019. They also brought in almost $70m more in revenue during that same academic year. Where do we think most of that excess money at OSU is going into? There are many reasons why this is the case, some of them in PSU's control, some of them not as much. JF didn't hire Jimmy Sexton by accident. Like it or not Sexton knows more than any other agent what coaches need to compete in today's CFB.

If we truly want to compete for national championships and not be a 9-3/10-2 type program, then PSU needs to take a long hard look at how they treat the athletics department, how they raise money, how they spend, etc. Sure, every once in awhile the starts may align and PSU could make a playoff run (should have been 2017 but a blown 4th quarter lead killed that), but do we really think any coach can come in here and compete with OSU year in and year out right now? This discussion is irrelevant of if we think JF can actually be a consistent playoff-competing coach. IF PSU decides they want to continue not being that kind of program then we're not getting anyone better than JF if he leaves.

The next several months will go a long way to show what kind of department PSU athletics really wants to be.

I’m not giving up on him as an OC. That said, this past game was absurdly bad. If you can’t criticize that, what can you criticize?
I haven’t been on here much since that game because quite frankly, I didn’t want to read all the over top negativity but at the same time I didn’t want to add to it. You have to agree that was a game lost by the coaching staff, don’t you?

I’m not giving up on him as an OC. That said, this past game was absurdly bad. If you can’t criticize that, what can you criticize?
I haven’t been on here much since that game because quite frankly, I didn’t want to read all the over top negativity but at the same time I didn’t want to add to it. You have to agree that was a game lost by the coaching staff, don’t you?

For some a positive win/loss record is enough (and the promise of ‘next year,’ which we have been pointing to since losing to USC in 2017).

Reactions: BBrown
Seven games in, he hasn’t exactly lit up the scoreboard. And this past game was an abject disaster.
I thought MY's best games were the 2nd half of Wiscy and the Auburn game.
I have been unimpressed since then.
But you have to give him more than 7 games, especially with an injured QB, who BTW, everyone thought was a disaster. But MY did some really stellar work with him. As for the other QB's yikes...maybe he spent all his time trying to fix a broken Clifford?
Its the run game and OL that has me completely baffled as to why they are so bad. I get that its now injuries but really they weren't very good against anyone when they were healthy, if Cain was ever healthy.

But you have to give him more than 7 games, especially with an injured QB, who BTW, everyone thought was a disaster. But MY did some really stellar work with him. As for the other QB's yikes...maybe he spent all his time trying to fix a broken Clifford?
Its the run game and OL that has me completely baffled as to why they are so bad. I get that its now injuries but really they weren't very good against anyone when they were healthy, if Cain was ever healthy.
Good point about Cain. Could be wrong but it seems that he is "healthy" as it is defined as "not injured"...but nevertheless has not recovered 100% of his athleticism due to spending the offseason doing what is necessary to heal as opposed to train. That said, he seems to be the only RB who has the combination of fulfilling his blocking assignments more often than not and keeping the football secure, avoiding turnovers...and thus he gets the majority of the snaps even if he may not currently be the best pure "runner" on the team.

IMO, Yurcich gets a pass on the Iowa and Illinois games. At QB he was dealing with either a deer in the headlights, or a cripple. Throw in...as usual...no running game, and what are his play calling options?

Reactions: BBrown
IMO, Yurcich gets a pass on the Iowa and Illinois games. At QB he was dealing with either a deer in the headlights, or a cripple. Throw in...as usual...no running game, and what are his play calling options?
I don’t give him a full pass on those games. Your backup QB can be completely unprepared to step on the field and he looked completely unprepared. I’m not a blame the coach for everything guy but coaches are ultimately responsible for all aspects of the program.

Setting all the hysteria aside for a moment, one has to acknowledge that this is an odd move to make in the middle of a season. He’s either preparing for some hardball negotiations with PSU or preparing to negotiate with a new school. Seems obvious, but I guess the point is that this is not nothing at all. Can’t be lightly shrugged off. Something big is gonna happen.

Bad look for sure.

Trojans Wire is all over it but thinks it may signal a shift to LSU.

This whole thing is starting to feel like a slow-motion car wreck:

This is on the verge of a slow motion car wreck. The game Saturday could get very ugly.

After 2 straight losses and the week of the Ohio St game Franklin’s (reportedly) interviewing new agents?

Who knows his future plans, but this does suggest he might leave and will no doubt put the rumor mill in overdrive. This has just significantly increased the uncertainty and media drama at the worst time.

It also puts Penn St in a bad spot. Both Sandy and Barron are leaving in the next 2 years (IIRC). Any new AD and prez often want to hire their own people. That puts Sandy in the potential awkward position of trying to hire someone who may have a very short tenure if the new AD wants to make their own mark

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry
This is on the verge of a slow motion car wreck. The game Saturday could get very ugly.

After 2 straight losses and the week of the Ohio St game Franklin’s (reportedly) interviewing new agents? Very bad look.

Who knows his future plans, but this does suggest he might leave and will no doubt put the rumor mill in overdrive. This has just significantly increased the uncertainty and media drama at the worst time.

It also puts Penn St in a bad spot. Both Sandy and Barron are leaving in the next 2 years (IIRC). Any new AD and prez often want to hire their own people. That puts Sandy in the potential awkward position of trying to hire someone who may have a very short tenure if the new AD wants to make their own mark

There is nothing "awkward" about it. An incumbent AD is charged with hiring the best coach possible regardless of that AD's remaining tenure. Any problems with that decision that a new AD has are the new ADs problems.

After 2 straight losses and the week of the Ohio St game Franklin’s (reportedly) interviewing new agents? Very bad look.

I would have to think that the new AD would have to give a new coach some latitude knowing how much it would hurt the program. Maybe the new coach isn't his guy but I think he has to be given a few years.

Reactions: psu00
Setting all the hysteria aside for a moment, one has to acknowledge that this is an odd move to make in the middle of a season. He’s either preparing for some hardball negotiations with PSU or preparing to negotiate with a new school. Seems obvious, but I guess the point is that this is not nothing at all. Can’t be lightly shrugged off. Something big is gonna happen.

Agree; it's an important move made with some urgency (given the coverage, it seems unusual for big time coaches to change agents mid-year). So, I think one of three things:

1. Franklin is getting 'the guy' to land him the LSU or USC job - though LSU seems more likely given his new agent's roster (this includes smoothing over Franklin's most recent two game performance and positioning him to go head to head with the other SEC big dogs - Bama and Georgia).

2. Franklin is getting 'the guy' to help him leverage the USC and LSU openings to get more for himself and staff at Penn State before the jobs are filled.

3. He felt it was time to fire his agent and find another one (who happens to represent the biggest names in the SEC).

We'll see.

There is nothing "awkward" about it. An incumbent AD is charged with hiring the best coach possible regardless of that AD's remaining tenure. Any problems with that decision that a new AD has are the new ADs problems.
agree with Art I am sure they already started the process.

My vote is the later. Whether Franklin leaves this year or not, I think he and most fans realize her has climaxed here. He did a good job, represented the school well, his message does not appear to be resonating with the team and fans anymore. Just my opinion obviously.
Only brain dead fans want a coach to leave who currently has a top rated recruiting class with the number one QB.

It does seem to be odd timing unless he’s leaving. He signed a 6 year contract with PSU that runs through 2025 so there’s no urgent need to be changing up his agent mid season. Do it in the off season when it’ll barely be a footnote on the sports page.

The main reason to do it now is that you expect to be negotiating a new contract shortly. The only other possibility I can think of is some significant/ urgent issue causing an irreparable fallout with his current agent.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Thought he was brilliant in the Iowa game…until the injury to Cliff

Reactions: Shadow99 and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT