ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: A teen girl beat the boys to win her state championship

CoolBean

May 8, 2003
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/first-female-wrestler-state-champ-trnd/index.html

For a moment, it looked like Heaven Fitch was about to lose. The teen wrestling phenom was on the mat under her opponent in the last few seconds of the state championship match.

That was until she flipped out from underneath him in a backward somersault and quickly scooted around to regain the upper hand. Fitch held him on the mat until the referee threw up his hand.

Things I thought were entirely impossible for $800.

But seriously, good on her because it couldn't have been easy on her.

Reactions: smealpsu2005
Trying to figure how they score points in North Carolina. She's underneath and almost ready to lose then gets a reversal and take down and wins 11-3 major decision?

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Something tells me Scottie Andrew isn't exactly a veteran of the wrestling beat.
I'm guessing your right journalism has gone to shit don't they want to get stuff right anymore. That's like wiping you butt then taking a crap

Don't get me wrong I think it's great she won I have three daughters I know how hard it is for them at times all I'm saying is the way thag article sucked me in I though she got a last second take down to win it in dramatic fashion then I read on and she has a major decision lol. I'm like whaaaat

She absolutely dominated the kid in the finals. She barred the kid up and turned him three times. Great accomplishment for this young lady. She has a reputation for being an incredibly hard worker and spends a lot of time and effort honing her craft. NC does have four classifications however and she competes in 1A, the classification for the smallest schools

Reactions: diggerpup
Don't get me wrong I think it's great she won I have three daughters I know how hard it is for them at times all I'm saying is the way thag article sucked me in I though she got a last second take down to win it in dramatic fashion then I read on and she has a major decision lol. I'm like whaaaat
Holy punctuation Batman...

Reactions: diggerpup and Reslo
I'm guessing your right journalism has gone to shit don't they want to get stuff right anymore. That's like wiping you butt then taking a crap

Misusing ‘your’ and butchering punctuation is delicious irony in this situation.

Reactions: ccdiver
I learned a lesson about "journalism" when pawrestler2 was born, early in the morning, January 1, 24 years ago. He was the first baby born in that area that morning, so the local paper sent a reporter to do an interview.

Now, let's just say I had issues when he was born. From arriving at the hospital until delivery was less than 20 minutes. The midwife walked into the room, Mrspa gave a half a push, and whoosh, there he was for me to catch. I had a hard time absorbing all that was happening and had to sit down or there was going to be a skull-cracking-the-floor emergency.

The reporter got ahold of that and ran with it. Picked up a paper the next morning, a nice front page picture of the three of us, and the story, not about how wondrous of an occasion, but about Daddy almost passing out.

Journalists/reporters are always, always, always looking for an angle to spice up a story.

Something tells me Scottie Andrew isn't exactly a veteran of the wrestling beat.

ya think? :D

Fitch held him on the mat until the referee threw up his hand.

A ref doesn't "throw up [his/her] your hand" at the end of a match. When wrestling should cease (i.e., when wrestlers are out of bounds, the period ends, etc.), the ref raises one hand, while also blowing their whistle. That's exactly what the ref did at the end of this match.

Others have pointed out the "flipped out from underneath him in a backward somersault" was a granby roll.

And FWIW, it's hard to figure what the kid that lost was doing before he got reversed. He was trailing 9-3, very late in the State Championship match, and didn't appear to have any clue how to work toward a tilt, which he desperately needed, and then got out to the side, with only an arm around the waist, with his opponent in a 4-point stance on the mat. A cradle opportunity was there for the taking (or at least attempting) if he would have given up on the waist (which he didn't seem to have very tight), but he had lost control of the wrist, was out to the side ... in short, he was not close to tilting his opponent, and his opponent could have used a couple of different moves to easily get a reversal.

Congrats to Heaven Fitch. I see girls winning matches pretty much every weekend during the youth season, but I haven't seen a girl win States in high school.

Reactions: diggerpup
Journalists/reporters are always, always, always looking for an angle to spice up a story.

Had that been me, I probably would have been displeased to realize that everyone in town would be reading about my reaction during the birth.

However, in the journalist's defense, the good ones do figure out a way to make an article be something more than Mrspa gave birth to the area's baby new year, @ X minutes/hours after midnight, @ ABC hospital. There usually is an angle to the story, or a hook, that pulls people in to want to read about it. The really, really good journalists figure out a way to make the news interesting, without having to resort to angles or hooks.

That's the funniest thing I heard all night! Then I read a reply about an 11 point backwards somersault that caused me to laugh even harder. Next came a Batman reply about punctuation which is extremely hard to pair and be whimsical and finally something witty about Tom Brands....... Well played!

Last edited:
Trying to figure how they score points in North Carolina. She's underneath and almost ready to lose then gets a reversal and take down and wins 11-3 major decision?

she had him on his back 3 times earlier in the match, for 9 gets reversal for 2.

he gets escape and a takedown

11-3

Holy smokes!!! If this story had been written properly, this convo would have been about the great accomplishment, as it should have been, and not about this butcher job. Wild accomplishment!!! Great to see for the sport.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
This girl, Heaven Fitch, is the real deal. I saw videos of several of her matches. She knocked off the Bayless girl from Reynolds or is she with Sem now- a PA state champ. And she beat another girl who is a world silver medalist. And that girl, Sterling Dias, is special.
In the NC state finals, she hammered the kid from the top, scoring 9 back points and pretty much having her way with him. When she gave up a takedown late in the bout, just prior to the above video, it looked like she was gassin', but still came back with that shoulder roll to score a reversal.
Pet Peeve: back in the day, we called that a shoulder roll, not a granby. The granby had a different setup, thrown from a sitout or while kinda squating or even standing - which was tough before resolite mats.. Guys were doing the shoulder roll long before the granby appeared.
speaking of granby, I met Gray Simons at West Point (the Army-Lehigh dual) when I was in 9th grade --- a great guy who let a young kid hero worship him for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I never hugged my coach like that.

Then again he was ugly, and I never won anything big.
Mark Hall has. Does that mean Cael is handsome? :)

mark-hall-of-the-penn-state-nittany-lions-jumps-into-the-arms-of-head-picture-id656463262

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/first-female-wrestler-state-champ-trnd/index.html

For a moment, it looked like Heaven Fitch was about to lose. The teen wrestling phenom was on the mat under her opponent in the last few seconds of the state championship match.

That was until she flipped out from underneath him in a backward somersault and quickly scooted around to regain the upper hand. Fitch held him on the mat until the referee threw up his hand.

Gross. The ref ate is hand then threw it up, right on the mat. Wrestling has changed

What a great story. She might make a great addition to the women's national team one day. I have no idea, but are there any avenues for her to continue folkstyle after high school? Do any schools have women's programs?

Womens wrestling is the fast growing sport in the world, colleges are adding it all over.

What a great story. She might make a great addition to the women's national team one day. I have no idea, but are there any avenues for her to continue folkstyle after high school? Do any schools have women's programs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT