ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: A teen girl beat the boys to win her state championship

Not one Nico reference. Have we turned a new leaf? Or are we slippin', Did I just ruin it all?

Congrats to her! Lots of hammers coming up the ranks! Wish the B!G would lead the charge and have women's wrestling.

What a great story. She might make a great addition to the women's national team one day. I have no idea, but are there any avenues for her to continue folkstyle after high school? Do any schools have women's programs?

No colleges have folkstlye, just freestyle. Not sure of the actual number but it is around 40 and growing. She is not the first to win a state title against the boys. Michaela Hutchinson won a state title in Alaska a few years back.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and tikk10
ya think? :D

A ref doesn't "throw up [his/her] your hand" at the end of a match. When wrestling should cease (i.e., when wrestlers are out of bounds, the period ends, etc.), the ref raises one hand, while also blowing their whistle. That's exactly what the ref did at the end of this match.

Others have pointed out the "flipped out from underneath him in a backward somersault" was a granby roll.

And FWIW, it's hard to figure what the kid that lost was doing before he got reversed. He was trailing 9-3, very late in the State Championship match, and didn't appear to have any clue how to work toward a tilt, which he desperately needed, and then got out to the side, with only an arm around the waist, with his opponent in a 4-point stance on the mat. A cradle opportunity was there for the taking (or at least attempting) if he would have given up on the waist (which he didn't seem to have very tight), but he had lost control of the wrist, was out to the side ... in short, he was not close to tilting his opponent, and his opponent could have used a couple of different moves to easily get a reversal.

Congrats to Heaven Fitch. I see girls winning matches pretty much every weekend during the youth season, but I haven't seen a girl win States in high school.

Tilt? He needed to pin her, not tilt her. No one gets pinned in tilts, except maybe the Wisconsin guy against Mark Hall

Tilt? He needed to pin her, not tilt her. No one gets pinned in tilts, except maybe the Wisconsin guy against Mark Hall
I can’t remember, is the Winn-Dixie a legitimate pinning move? It did not seem that IMar should’ve let himself be pinned by it. Also, why is it named Winn-Dixie? Thanks for any answers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT