ADVERTISEMENT

Should our AD give our current WBB coach her walking papers?

Should our AD give our current WBB coach her walking papers? If so, who would replace her?

• Yes

Votes: 154 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 13.5%
  • Still to early

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Should have never been hired in the first place

Votes: 21 10.1%

• Total voters
I'm not a fan of Washington's chaotic offense. I don't really follow the sport since Uconn became the perennial winner. Who would we get as a replacement?

Reactions: TheGLOV
My vote is for Chris Dailey who has been Geno Auriemma's assistant for all of his 24 years at UConn.
Why would she leave? You think Penn State would be the first school to offer her a head job? Do you think after being at UConn for 32 years she is going to up and move? I don't think at 58 years old she decide to just to up and move. If she wanted to eb a head coach she would have done it a long long time ago.

My vote is for Chris Dailey who has been Geno Auriemma's assistant for all of his 24 years at UConn.

The only way she leaves UConn is if C Viv dies or retires, whichever comes first.

Chris Dailey was rumored to be Spanier's/Curley's first choice when Portland was fired, but Dailey turned down the job at the last minute. I doubt she'll leave UConn while Geno is there. The Vanderbilt coach, whom Vandy dumped a year ago, was rumored to be the second choice.

If the job came open, which I doubt it will on the heels of a 21-11 season and a young, promising roster, there's a dozen quality candidates not named Susie McConnell-Serio (13-17, 4-12 this season at Pitt).

The Lady Lions cut their turnovers per game this season to 13.0, which is 2.3 TPG better than opponents and 1.5 TPG better than 2015-16.

I could see Washington leaving for another school or moving into athletic administration (law degree) somewhere, but I'll be very surprised if Barbour cuts her loose this spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: baldbob and TheGLOV
Chris Dailey was rumored to be Spanier's/Curley's first choice when Portland was fired, but Dailey turned down the job at the last minute. I doubt she'll leave UConn while Geno is there. The Vanderbilt coach, whom Vandy dumped a year ago, was rumored to be the second choice.

If the job came open, which I doubt it will on the heels of a 21-11 season and a young, promising roster, there's a dozen quality candidates not named Susie McConnell-Serio (13-17, 4-12 this season at Pitt).

The Lady Lions cut their turnovers per game this season to 13.0, which is 2.3 TPG better than opponents and 1.5 TPG better than 2015-16.

I could see Washington leaving for another school or moving into athletic administration (law degree) somewhere, but I'll be very surprised if Barbour cuts her loose this spring.
Yeah, what he said above. It would appear that things are on the upswing after several down years. They made the NWIT and won two games and as you said, they have a young, promising roster. I do think that there has to be some tangible improvement again though in 2017-18 as I have a feeling that Sandy has laid it out the expectations for the program.

Last edited:
As of now, 74.5% say she should be fired with 9.8% advising that she never should have gotten the job in the first place.

Ms. Barbour, are you watching??

I sure hope Sandy Barbour doesn't waste time reading PSU message boards. I'm not a big Coquese Washington fan, but an AD who would make personnel decisions based on an Internet fan poll doesn't merit the job. As Joe Paterno once recited, "If you coach to please the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting next to them."

Washington is 181-135 (.573) and 87-83 in the B1G over 10 years. She's made four NCAA Tournaments and two WNITs. From 2011-2014, Washington won or shared three consecutive B1G CoY awards.

Washington is 181-135 (.573) and 87-83 in the B1G over 10 years. She's made four NCAA Tournaments and two WNITs. From 2011-2014, Washington won or shared three consecutive B1G CoY awards.
I had no idea her numbers were that bad.
4 games over .500 in the conference over 10 years is awful. I checked and saw that she had losing records the conference in 5 of those 10 years. I really don't care much for the women's game, and judging by attendance at most schools, neither does anyone else. Still, in a school where we have quality teams in so many other sports, women's (and men's) basketball should be no exception. I would give both coaches one more year. If either, or both, do not at least make their respective NIT's, they should be gone.

I don't know if Barbour reads this board or even knows of its existence, but Curley read it when he was the AD.

I sure hope Sandy Barbour doesn't waste time reading PSU message boards. I'm not a big Coquese Washington fan, but an AD who would make personnel decisions based on an Internet fan poll doesn't merit the job. As Joe Paterno once recited, "If you coach to please the fans, pretty soon you'll be sitting next to them."

While it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, the numbers you provided should make the decision and easy on for Sandy.

Thank you!

I had no idea her numbers were that bad.
4 games over .500 in the conference over 10 years is awful. I checked and saw that she had losing records the conference in 5 of those 10 years. I really don't care much for the women's game, and judging by attendance at most schools, neither does anyone else. Still, in a school where we have quality teams in so many other sports, women's (and men's) basketball should be no exception. I would give both coaches one more year. If either, or both, do not at least make their respective NIT's, they should be gone.

But Chambers should be given 20 more years.. You make no sense when it comes to coaches.. Weren't you calling for Franklin's head?

But Chambers should be given 20 more years.. You make no sense when it comes to coaches.. Weren't you calling for Franklin's head?

Nate, you need to read more carefully. If you did you would see, I make perfect sense. I called out both coaches. My post clearly said "Still, in a school where we have quality teams in so many other sports, women's (and men's) basketball should be no exception. I would give both coaches one more year. If either, or both, do not at least make their respective NIT's, they should be gone."
As for Franklin, no Nate, I was not calling for his head.

First let me state that I am no fan of basketball, the only tournament action I have ever watched is whatever is on local sports highlights. That being said, the mens BB program has been mediocre at best as long as I can remember while the women's program at least had some success under Portland. One or both programs need to have someone come in who:

1 Knows winning basketball

2 Knows how to attract talent that can work in their system

3 Build a base program that is not just a several year "flash in the pan."

When does the administration pull the trigger and hire a mens and\or womens coach that fits this bill? I remember last week a lot of posters here were going to great lengths expressing their glee that Duke had lost. Was it envy or jealousy that prompted those outbursts of unbridled joy. It must be awful to root for a team that year in and year out is sure to be on the inside looking out instead of the other way around as Penn State always is when it comes to basketball.

First let me state that I am no fan of basketball, the only tournament action I have ever watched is whatever is on local sports highlights. That being said, the mens BB program has been mediocre at best as long as I can remember while the women's program at least had some success under Portland. One or both programs need to have someone come in who:

1 Knows winning basketball

2 Knows how to attract talent that can work in their system

3 Build a base program that is not just a several year "flash in the pan."

When does the administration pull the trigger and hire a mens and\or womens coach that fits this bill? I remember last week a lot of posters here were going to great lengths expressing their glee that Duke had lost. Was it envy or jealousy that prompted those outbursts of unbridled joy. It must be awful to root for a team that year in and year out is sure to be on the inside looking out instead of the other way around as Penn State always is when it comes to basketball.

Well said sir.

However, hating dook is a pure Americana as is HATE-ING the Dallas Cryboys or the N.Y. Yankee$.

I'm sure you understand.

Whenever the contract is up, hire Suzi w/ Kelly Mazzante as an assistant.

Well said sir.

However, hating dook is a pure Americana as is HATE-ING the Dallas Cryboys or the N.Y. Yankee$.

I'm sure you understand.
At some point in my life, I stopped hating and started respecting other teams because the people in charge were smarter than the team I supported and I started questioning why my team didn't make the move the other team did to make them better. After all, it's only a game.

The hire should have never been made: She did not have PSU background, was not from State College, and had no siblings who graduated from Penn State.

Those are the qualifications for the job at Penn State in basketball. All other factors are irrelevant.

Susie would have been a good choice back then, excepting she was Catholic. Let's face it, they had to have taken that into account due to Portland. Now? Too old.

Also, to be very fair to PSU at the time, they were trying to get some fresh blood into the athletic department realizing that they had gotten too insular. All of TC's hires had little to no PSU ties in his last 5-7 years. At the time, personally, I wanted Penn State folks because they understood the "Penn State Way". I was wrong. We did need fresh blood. Events have proven the wisdom of getting other, fresh ideas while staying true to your ideals.

Personally, I wonder what a good young hungry assistant might do to revitalize things a bit.

Reactions: harbest
I think the A.D. needs to at least have a meeting with Washington to stress the need for a good recruiting class to perpetuate this charade.

It really depends depends on how the AD looks at the women's basketball program. From a National standpoint it is probably the most visible of women's college sports. I doubt if Washington can really bring the program to a top 10 program. She was close when she had really good players in Bentley, Lucas and Green and some good complimentary players to support them. Even with those players, it seems the team underachieved when it came to the Big 10 tournament and the NCAA. I do not look at Washington as a good coach or good at developing players; but, if she is able to recruit really well, the team can be a top 25 team and in the top 1/4 of the Big 10 like they were for several years a few years back.

If the AD has higher goals for the program, a change should be made. If she is content with the team being respectable - middle of Big 10 most years, some years below and some years above, Washington will likely keep her job. I am not sure what is coming in next year as far as freshman or transfers - but with her guards back, I think a similar year to this year is likely.

Post play is the win or lose variable next year in the B1G and in postseason. We have quality guards, The Lady Lions need more production in the post than we've had since Nikki Greene graduated after the '13-'14 season. Coquese hired Tamika Williams-Jeter last spring to coach the posts. Washington's teams have always been guard oriented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT