ADVERTISEMENT

Shorter now not on the roster

Well, if he wants to play next year, he'll transfer to Michigan to join up with Gattis. The Buckeyes don't need him with the studs they are bringing in for 2020. Other than those 2, a guaranteed NCAA waiver is "iffy."
If I were him I just announce that someone on campus was mean to me and he'd be eligible immediately, right? Worked for Fields and O$U.

Godwin is a beast in the NFL... making us proud.
Chris Godwin is having a really terrific season:
  • 70 catches -- tied for 4th overall
  • 1071 receiving yards -- 2nd overall
  • 9 TDs receiving -- 1st among all receivers
  • Certainly Pro Bowl at a minimum, and can challenge for All-Pro
In retrospect, he was quite a bargain in the 3rd round and, at age 23, has a great future.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Seriously...I’m tired of seeing these shady passive aggressive posts from “new members” every time there is trouble.

Yes I’m a new member. But I’ve been a fan my whole life. Not sure what’s passive aggressive about it. Just posted what I observe from the situation. Just because you’ve been on the site for awhile has no bearing on how much weight your opinion has. Get over yourself and stop whining.

Yes I’m a new member. But I’ve been a fan my whole life. Not sure what’s passive aggressive about it. Just posted what I observe from the situation. Just because you’ve been on the site for awhile has no bearing on how much weight your opinion has. Get over yourself and stop whining.

OK...then you don’t know what the phrase passive aggressive means. Now I’ll go get over myself.

Reactions: downSouthLion
The coaches showed patience and worked with Shorter when he was hurt. They gave him every chance to succeed when he was healthy. As things worked out he just couldn’t get it done. Now he wants to move on. So be it. It’s likely he saw other younger players doing better than him in practice and realized he’d never be a major contributor here. From what I saw of him on the field I can’t say I saw anything that impressed me. He may go on to have a nice career somewhere else but I think that’s more likely at the Villanova/Holy Cross level than with an SEC team. Or a different Big Ten team. He’d likely have to sit out a year as well.

Unless he transfers to OSU or Michigan.

Enough with this nonsense every season. Last year Shorter was alleged to be one of the "young practice warriors" who caused Johnson and Polk to move on, and then he and George proceed to shit the bed. Maybe the guys who leave see the program as dysfunctional? My hypothesis is at least as valid as yours.

Well that’s your opinion but of course for some people it’s always the coaches’ fault. I guess they must be coaching Friermuth differently than the other receivers huh?

Just looked it up he had 11 catches on the year but does have 7 TDs

I guess things worked out for him at WVU. Johnson appears to be doing pretty well, when he's playing, at Oregon also.

So... first I’d say I hate that a WR with his talent and ceiling is leaving. I have been saying every game, let’s get Shorter involved. He has had some pretty big drops but the other side of that is he doesn’t have very many targets. He has the talent and we’re not targeting him and part of you has to recognize that he wants to go somewhere that will be able to consistently showcase his talent. The X receiver is largely ignored, for some reason. Juwan left, likely for the same reason. I know health played a part in some of this but I hate we don’t get the X more involved. Is this the offensive play calling, the receiver not getting open, or the QB not making the best read on a consistent basis?

WR has to be a position of worry, again. Recruits are going to see this and I’m not saying it’s warranted or not but something is amiss and recruits are paying attention.
I agree it’s hard to lose a kid with such promise. But it seems that if he goes the team will lose much more of what could have been than what actually was. As much as I hate seeing any kid jump ship, we can sustain losing what we saw of him on the field.

God help us if it’s coaching. But I don’t think it is. And I’m not buying that recruits are growing concerned.

Well that’s your opinion but of course for some people it’s always the coaches’ fault. I guess they must be coaching Friermuth differently than the other receivers huh?
Let’s not forget this is the 3rd WR coach in 3 years. Hopefully we can get some continuity there. This WR class coming in seems pretty damn strong. I bet the guys that left are a bit sour but which one achieved anything at PSU? Johnson was wrapped up in his own head. He couldn’t catch a cold here. Mike G was similar but stayed and persevered. JJ bailed as did Shorter, but none had the hype he had. Maybe he turns it around, but I cannot sweat the ones that don’t produce and bail before they are juniors.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
I guess things worked out for him at WVU. Johnson appears to be doing pretty well, when he's playing, at Oregon also.
Better than the grad transfer we took who has I believe 1 catch this year and might have played in 2 or 3 games

100% behind Franklin. You enter the portal DURING the season, you are done. Clean out the locker, name off roster, lose access to the Lasch Building. You walked out on your teammates with games left on the sked, no coming back from that. A LOT different from what Wade and Sullivan Brown did.
That’s true. He’s walking on the team during the season, which is tough to see and poor timing—4 days left.

If he knows he’s leaving, the team won’t benefit from him hanging around. Besides, there isn’t much time to pick a new home before the break. And his aid for next semester has been cut— if I understand CJF’s policy. I wish him well and feel sympathy for him, but it’s tough to see.

Enough with this nonsense every season. Last year Shorter was alleged to be one of the "young practice warriors" who caused Johnson and Polk to move on, and then he and George proceed to shit the bed. Maybe the guys who leave see the program as dysfunctional? My hypothesis is at least as valid as yours.

And the biggest fake PSU fan shows up once again. Eventually someone will figure out this jackass and get rid of him from this board permanently. Amazing.

Maybe he transferring to FSU as he knows Franklin is leaving and wants to make sure he gets a spot.

My hypothesis is as valid as yours

No, I'm certain he is transferring to Pitt because he knows that next year Doozie and company are going to win (another) Natty.

I don’t recall hearing that. He was hurt for most of the season, and we didn’t hear the same raving practice reviews that we heard about Johnson. Maybe a little in the bowl practices, but not even close to the same.

And the biggest fake PSU fan shows up once again. Eventually someone will figure out this jackass and get rid of him from this board permanently. Amazing.
I attended over 150 games in my lifetime, and got lambasted on here for years attempting to defend the Paterno regime, so spare me your dime store analysis. Check the post history.

I don't like the direction the program is going, because we have been WAY overpaying for average results, and there always seems to be some kind of drama, from kids leaving, to the head coach accosting students and whining about fan criticism. You can choose to be OK with that, but I don't have to agree, and I'm very sorry if other opinions upset your delicate sensitivities.

I attended over 150 games in my lifetime, and got lambasted on here for years attempting to defend the Paterno regime, so spare me your dime store analysis. Check the post history.

I don't like the direction the program is going, because we have been WAY overpaying for average results, and there always seems to be some kind of drama, from kids leaving, to the head coach accosting students and whining about fan criticism. You can choose to be OK with that, but I don't have to agree, and I'm very sorry if other opinions upset your delicate sensitivities.
You defended Paterno, but not Franklin....that’s all we needed to know.

41 wins, three major bowls and a conference title in four years are not “average results.” If you think they are, you’re insane.

We really have struggled to get that second WR option to take some pressure off KJ and Pat. Justin seemed to never get that open not sure why and the drops didn’t help. I think that leads to the QB losing confidence in you. They need to find the next man up since KJ probable will be gone next year. Ranking our of high school continue to be a crap shoot.

I think that Clifford has a strong relationship with Hamler, and may lean on him too often. Other WRs weren’t getting as many opportunities as they felt they should be afforded. Maybe this is a sign that Hamler isn’t planning on leaving after this season. Just a thought.

Reactions: psu2016

And of those 150 games, you were he guy who bitched and moaned and complained about every play in the stands. We all know the type. Every post you make is negative to the team or players. That’s not a fan. That’s a miserable wannabe.

Literally every single point in your last paragraph is totally wrong, a flat out lie, or an intentional misrepresentation. Every. Single. Point.

So keep being a keyboard tough guy. I’m done engaging with you. Find another team to complain about.

I think the frustrating thing is that James took the program from ashes, all the way back to the top tier of college football in just 3 years. But, we cannot seem to make it to the final level, which is of course the CFP. In 16 we win the Big Ten but we are not able to put a good enough defense on the field and we give up 40 plus to Pitt, Michigan, and SC. In 17 we have the greatest assembly of offensive skill ever, but again we fall short on defense, and team depth, and Ohio State and msu wear us down, costing us a shot. In 18 we improve on defense, we again level up in recruitment process, but on the field we see a massive digression in the wr position, and running game, and again we lose twice to the same team, as after a heartbroken defeat from osu we fail vs sparty and then Michigan blows us out. This year we put Franklins best defense to date on the field but our small corners get exposed in losses to Minny and Ohio State again. This exacerbates the frustration because Franklin finally teaches his team to win the close games and our o line finally Improves enough to run 4 min offense to close games.

Look, we are CLOSE man, and as fans it's tough.

Reactions: bytir
I always love losing the number 1 receiver from the class.
I think the frustrating thing is that James took the program from ashes, all the way back to the top tier of college football in just 3 years. But, we cannot seem to make it to the final level, which is of course the CFP. In 16 we win the Big Ten but we are not able to put a good enough defense on the field and we give up 40 plus to Pitt, Michigan, and SC. In 17 we have the greatest assembly of offensive skill ever, but again we fall short on defense, and team depth, and Ohio State and msu wear us down, costing us a shot. In 18 we improve on defense, we again level up in recruitment process, but on the field we see a massive digression in the wr position, and running game, and again we lose twice to the same team, as after a heartbroken defeat from osu we fail vs sparty and then Michigan blows us out. This year we put Franklins best defense to date on the field but our small corners get exposed in losses to Minny and Ohio State again. This exacerbates the frustration because Franklin finally teaches his team to win the close games and our o line finally Improves enough to run 4 min offense to close games.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fan for close to a month!

You don't like the direction the program is going? Let me ask you: What (4) year period in the last 30 years produced better results in wins and losses and recruiting rankings than the last four? I think the one with "delicate sensitives" is yourself.

Really? Tuff on fans? Doubt it's a cakewalk for coaches and players. They actually are invested.

Reactions: 81b&w
With him going in the portal so early have to think his destination is already determined. All that's left is to think up some bullshit excuse to not have to sit a year. If going to Michigan or OSU, you would already know any bullshit excuse you put out there will be accepted quite easily.
He probably ends up at scUM if they lose some of those WRs they have which they probably do. Of course he catches 10 balls against us next year miraculously figuring out how to play again.

Reactions: JJTopp99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT