ADVERTISEMENT

seeing the 4 playoff teams today, how would Penn State fare against each team?

We looked good against Washington, but not sure if we are capable of beating any of these 4 teams

giphy.gif

(wut?)

Reactions: Cpeplion
Oh Please...That is just ignorant. When, over the past two years (aside from the Michigan game) has this team lost UGLY. I don't see PSU losing like OSU lost at Iowa ever, against anyone. Those days are gone

That's a bold statement--that can happen to anyone. See Bama against Auburn this year. Sometimes even elite teams have very bad days.
If we turned the ball over 3 times against Bama and didn't create any turnovers like we did against Washington things could get very ugly.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
That's a bold statement--that can happen to anyone. See Bama against Auburn this year. Sometimes even elite teams have very bad days.
If we turned the ball over 3 times against Bama and didn't create any turnovers like we did against Washington things could get very ugly.

and again, they may not...like vs. Washington.

The main difference right now from these teams (not Oklahoma, we could score all night with that outfit) is the lines, specifically D-line and front 7 in general with backers. The Bama, Clemson, Georgia teams have studs all throughout the o line and front 7. The backers are very good, Smith for UGA is an absolute beast, and their D lines, specifically Clemson (4 first round picks probably) and Bama (2 or 3 first round picks) is just far superior. But we are getting there and this years class is what we need every year to compete with them once we get into these playoffs.

All I heard in the weeks leading up to playing Washington in the Fiesta bowl was how Their DL was going to dominate our OL, and how they'll be the best DL we'll play and Visa Via (or whatever his name is) is the best DL in the country (certainly the best we will face).

We heard the same during Michigan week.

The fact is, teams that have quality DLs (like Michigan, Washington, Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia) don't load the box to stop Barkley. And if you don't load the box to stop Barkley, I don't care if you have NFL starters on the DL, Barkley is going to run for a lot of yards.

and again, they may not...like vs. Washington.

Washington isn't very good. To say that we will never get blown out again is asinine. "Those days" exist for all teams--even great ones.
I don't believe you or anyone else thinks we could be -3 in turnover margin and beat Alabama or Georgia--maybe anyone else in the country (though I don't think tOSU, Wisconsin or Clemson either) and win

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Washington isn't very good. To say that we will never get blown out again is asinine. "Those days" exist for all teams--even great ones.
I don't believe you or anyone else thinks we could be -3 in turnover margin and beat Alabama or Georgia--maybe anyone else in the country (though I don't think tOSU, Wisconsin or Clemson either) and win

I think you need to look up the word "hyperbole" in the dictionary and add it to your vocabulary. He was making a point (a valid one), and you're letting his use of hyperbole distract you.

I think you need to look up the word "hyperbole" in the dictionary and add it to your vocabulary. He was making a point (a valid one), and you're letting his use of hyperbole distract you.

I'm not--he made it very clear it wasn't a hyperbole but good try

I'm not--he made it very clear it wasn't a hyperbole but good try

Obviously it's technically possible for Penn State to get blown out. He knows that. We know that. Use some common sense for once. "Arguing" that it's technically possible that Penn State could still get blown out in the coming years is a red herring.

Well Danny Kanell said on the radio today that Penn State is the best team in the country right now, so maybe we tend to be a bit too critical of the team. I think it would be a great game against any of the four teams and I think we would beat Clemson and Georgia. Oklahoma would be whoever had the ball last and Bama would be a low scoring game where their depth would have the edge.

Oh Please...That is just ignorant. When, over the past two years (aside from the Michigan game) has this team lost UGLY. I don't see PSU losing like OSU lost at Iowa ever, against anyone. Those days are gone

Oh please, your reply is the ignorant one.

Allowing Southern Cal to come back with two TDs in the fourth quarter to tie, then throwing an interception to give them the game in regulation instead of getting into OT, that was an UGLY loss.

Blowing a 21-3 lead, allowing tOSU three straight boom boom boom TDs in the 4th quarter led by a QB throwing 16 straight completions, that was an even UGLIER loss.

A team doesn’t have to lose by 33 pts to have a loss called UGLY!

Obviously it's technically possible for Penn State to get blown out. He knows that. We know that. Use some common sense for once. "Arguing" that it's technically possible that Penn State could still get blown out in the coming years is a red herring.

Read the replies...I'm not the one not using common sense. Read

On a good day we could compete.....on a bad day, it could get ugly.

Let's not get too giddy. Yes, we lost two tough road games by a total of 4 points. But in those two games, as well as in the Iowa and Nebraska games, and almost in the U.W. bowl game, this team got big leads and pooped them away at the end. Any of this year's final four would have feasted on the PSU defense in the 4th quarter.

Let's not get too giddy. Yes, we lost two tough road games by a total of 4 points. But in those two games, as well as in the Iowa and Nebraska games, and almost in the U.W. bowl game, this team got big leads and pooped them away at the end. Any of this year's final four would have feasted on the PSU defense in the 4th quarter.

I’m not the giddy one here, far from it.....look at all the posters in this thread proclaiming victories left and right!

This was one of those years where there is really no way of knowing if the top of the SEC is better than the top of the BIG. I believe Penn State and Ohio State would at the very least hold their own against Alabama and Georgia.

I never thought Clemson was very good, and Oklahoma doesn't play defense.

The good thing about UCF's win over Auburn is that it provides that much more justification for going to an 8-team playoff, with the best group of 5 school guaranteed a spot. All of the Power 5 conference champs need to be in the playoff--there just aren't enough common opponents to determine relative conference strength.

This was one of those years where there is really no way of knowing if the top of the SEC is better than the top of the BIG. I believe Penn State and Ohio State would at the very least hold their own against Alabama and Georgia.

I never thought Clemson was very good, and Oklahoma doesn't play defense.

The good thing about UCF's win over Auburn is that it provides that much more justification for going to an 8-team playoff, with the best group of 5 school guaranteed a spot. All of the Power 5 conference champs need to be in the playoff--there just aren't enough common opponents to determine relative conference strength.
Ohio State couldn't hold their own at home against Oklahoma. Georgia would take them to the woodshed. And Ohio State was the best in the B1G.

You mean like the big lead Oklahoma pooped away? They didn't exactly do much feasting in the fourth quarter....Mayfield had something like 86 passing yards in the second half.

Reactions: Madsol
Ohio State couldn't hold their own at home against Oklahoma. Georgia would take them to the woodshed. And Ohio State was the best in the B1G.
Pitt beat PSU early in the season last year but PSU would have taken them to the woodshed later in the season. Don't understand why a week 1 or 2 game should carry such weight in anyone's mind.

Pitt beat PSU early in the season last year but PSU would have taken them to the woodshed later in the season. Don't understand why a week 1 or 2 game should carry such weight in anyone's mind.
Yeah, Oklahoma obviously fell apart after kicking OSU's ass. Must have been one of those fluke wins.

On a good day we could compete.....on a bad day, it could get ugly.

Let me know the last time we had a "bad day".

We would score 28-35 on any one of those teams and 50+ against Oklahoma. Question is whether we could hold them down to win. It's all about matchups and we matchup well against those teams.

We would score 28-35 on any one of those teams and 50+ against Oklahoma. Question is whether we could hold them down to win. It's all about matchups and we matchup well against those teams.

We would score 28-35 against Bama? What?

We had a “bad day” blowing BIG leads against Southern Cal and tOSU.

Yeah, Oklahoma obviously fell apart after kicking OSU's ass. Must have been one of those fluke wins.
Never said it was a fluke win or that Oklahoma got worse. You use the OSU vs Oklahoma in game 2 of the season to say Georgia would take OSU to the woodshed. You have no idea what the outcome of that game would be, and neither do I. Sagarin disagrees with you with Bama OSU Georgia PSU being the top 4 in that order.

Its possible, scored 38 at the Shoe with against a comparable defense. I know 7 was on KR but nevertheless. 28-31 more realistic and I think Vegas would put our team total at 24

No, those defenses aren't comparable IMO. Could we score 28 or so...sure but that's far from a given. Bama could hold us down...especially if Trace turned the ball over like he did against Washington. 17-24 is probably more realistic. Bama doesn't have an elite offense so we might be able to win even if we were held under 28

We had a “bad day” blowing BIG leads against Southern Cal and tOSU.

And lost by 3 and 1 to arguably two of the best teams in college football that year. Hardly "ugly". No one. And I mean no one in college football would blow out Penn State short of a monumental breakdown the likes of which we have not seen in quite some time. Stop underestimating this team.

We would score 28-35 against Bama? What?

Absolutely.

First OSU's defense is better than what Bama has now (injuries). Bama's defense is nowhere near what it has been. They are terribly banged up.

Second it's all about matchups. What teams gave us problems? Teams with edge speed (OSU, Iowa to an extent). Who did we absolutely dominate? Very good DL who play base Middle and provide pressure inside (i.e. Wash, UM, even NW to extent). They play to our strengths. Clemson and Bama are identical up front.

On D who gave us fits? Two red hot QBs (OSU and MSU, USC of course) with their passing.

Bama doesn't have that. At all. Nor does Clemson. Georgia run game scares me and Oklahoma would score a ton on us every way possible but we might score every time we touched the ball.

Absolutely.

First OSU's defense is better than what Bama has now (injuries). Bama's defense is nowhere near what it has been. They are terribly banged up.

Second it's all about matchups. What teams gave us problems? Teams with edge speed (OSU, Iowa to an extent). Who did we absolutely dominate? Very good DL who play base Middle and provide pressure inside (i.e. Wash, UM, even NW to extent). They play to our strengths. Clemson and Bama are identical up front.

On D who gave us fits? Two red hot QBs (OSU and MSU, USC of course) with their passing.

Bama doesn't have that. At all. Nor does Clemson. Georgia run game scares me and Oklahoma would score a ton on us every way possible but we might score every time we touched the ball.

We completely disagree. You realize Bama just got a bunch of guys back, right? They were as healthy as they've been all season against Clemson and it showed. Bama and Clemson's defenses are very, very different. Bama loves to bring pressure off the ends and the middle. They mix It up very well.

Georgia's run game would definitely give us a huge problem. Oklahoma would score a ton against us but like you said we would be able to score with them and possibly outscore them. Clemson honestly doesn't scare me too much--I'd give us a good chance in that one but Bama's defense should scare us as much as Oklahoma's offense. Georgia's defense is also a problem.

Best chance vs Clemson...second best chance Oklahoma. I'd rather play against Bama than Georgia but that's a tough call. I think both would beat us at least 7 times out of 10. Oklahoma and Clemson would be 50/50 IMO

And lost by 3 and 1 to arguably two of the best teams in college football that year. Hardly "ugly". No one. And I mean no one in college football would blow out Penn State short of a monumental breakdown the likes of which we have not seen in quite some time. Stop underestimating this team.

Like I said earlier, giving up 17 unanswered 4th quarter pts is ugly. Like I said earlier, losing a 21-3 lead and then later giving up three boom boom boom touchdowns in the 4th quarter (with 16 straight pass completions), that’s ugly, very ugly in my book.

And I’ve no where today or any time ever said anyone could or would “blow out” Penn State.

Only if that mind is a weak one. Some weak-minded trolls believe that teams stay the same all season.

Never said it was a fluke win or that Oklahoma got worse. You use the OSU vs Oklahoma in game 2 of the season to say Georgia would take OSU to the woodshed. You have no idea what the outcome of that game would be, and neither do I. Sagarin disagrees with you with Bama OSU Georgia PSU being the top 4 in that order.

If you start from the position that the poster you're responding to is a colossal douche, it might make it easier for you to see where he's coming from. Good luck.

Maybe so, but the same was said about UW's DLine

Everyone realized Washington's DL did a pretty good job limiting our run game. Yes, we broke two big runs but other than that we were under 3 yards a carry. Those big runs count but that Washington front 3--especially Vea--played well. As did our OL.

Bama's front 3 > Washington's front 3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT