ADVERTISEMENT

Saquon being Saquon...

The weight actually helps. He started to tbrow the weigbt upward before he jumped. The momentum of the weight moving upward would help pull him out of the water.
Yeah, maybe but he has to generate the power to get him and the weight to the pool deck. The weight does not magically pull itself out of the pool with Saquon hanging on.

Didn't Dakota Royer (or some other recruit) have a similar video while he was in high school? I remember someone doing this before. Maybe I have the name wrong.

Didn't Dakota Royer (or some other recruit) have a similar video while he was in high school? I remember someone doing this before. Maybe I have the name wrong.

Thank you I couldn't think of his name to save my life but I knew another PSU player did this. I think maybe Anthony Zettle did something similar as well.
That being said it still doesn't take away from how difficult it is.
And besides we all know Barkley is Superman.

Yeah, maybe but he has to generate the power to get him and the weight to the pool deck. The weight does not magically pull itself out of the pool with Saquon hanging on.
Two benefits of using the weight....and he does both. He pushes the weight quickly upward while standing, generating momentum. And yes, that momentum will help pull you upward.

Then, as he leaves the water, he quickly pulls down on the weight. Since Newton said there is an equal and opposite reaction, pulling down on the weight generates the force of propelling him upward equal to the force he pushes down with.

Not saying this isn’t impressive. Just saying using the weight helped instead of making it harder.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Two benefits of using the weight....and he does both. He pushes the weight quickly upward while standing, generating momentum. And yes, that momentum will help pull you upward.

Then, as he leaves the water, he quickly pulls down on the weight. Since Newton said there is an equal and opposite reaction, pulling down on the weight generates the force of propelling him upward equal to the force he pushes down with.

Not saying this isn’t impressive. Just saying using the weight helped instead of making it harder.
Yes, I understand it helps initially to start But he needs to generate power to carry him and the weight to the pool deck after the initial boost.

Yes, I understand it helps initially to start But he needs to generate power to carry him and the weight to the pool deck after the initial boost.
But the power to push the weight upward comes while he is standing on the floor of the pool. Then, by pushing down on the weight while airborne it helps accelerate him upward. The energy is already in the weight because he pushed it up while standing.
Using the weight made it easier.

By this logic, it should be easier to dunk a bowling ball than a basketball. Just launch that ball from a squat and hang on while it pulls you to the rim.
True with a couple caveats. It would help while attempting a standing dunk, or maybe a one step attempt start with the bowling ball very low, swing it quickly upward, and jump as the ball is approaching the high point.
But unless one is very tall, or can jump quite high, you wouldn’t get the secondary effect of pulling down on the ball while airborne and increasing the height of the jump. So the benefit is limited.
Little known is that in the original Olympics the competitors in the long jump used weights in their hands to use the same principles to jump further.

True with a couple caveats. It would help while attempting a standing dunk, or maybe a one step attempt start with the bowling ball very low, swing it quickly upward, and jump as the ball is approaching the high point.
But unless one is very tall, or can jump quite high, you wouldn’t get the secondary effect of pulling down on the ball while airborne and increasing the height of the jump. So the benefit is limited.
Little known is that in the original Olympics the competitors in the long jump used weights in their hands to use the same principles to jump further.

It has to do with the center of gravity of the system, i.e. the weight and body together. In order for their to be any benefit in a bowling ball dunk, you'd have to impart enough energy into the swing of the bowling ball before you left the ground for its trajectory to take it above the rim. That's difficult enough to do without also jumping high enough to get your hands above the rim at the same time

In the case of Barkley's jump from the pool, the center of gravity of the weight is already above the edge of the pool, so the combinded center of gravity of Barkley and the weight is closer to the pool's edge. Thus, the weight will help him in the jump.

Also watch both Royer and Barkley's jump. Both of them are pulling down with their hands as they finish the jump. What they are doing is pivoting around their center of gravity. By pulling their hands down, their feet can go higher. Because Barkley has more weight in his hands, when he pivots, the other end of the see-saw, i.e. his feet, can go higher than without a weight, while the center of gravity remains the same.

Last edited:
It has to do with the center of gravity of the system, i.e. the weight and body together. In order for their to be any benefit in a bowling ball dunk, you'd have to impart enough energy into the swing of the bowling ball before you left the ground for its trajectory to take it above the rim. That's difficult enough to do without also jumping high enough to get your hands above the rim at the same time

In the case of Barkley's jump from the pool, the center of gravity of the weight is already above the edge of the pool, so the combinded center of gravity of Barkley and the weight is closer to the pool's edge. Thus, the weight will help him in the jump.

Also watch both Royer and Barkley's jump. Both of them are pulling down with their hands as they finish the jump. What they are doing is pivoting around their center of gravity. By pulling their hands down, their feet can go higher. Because Barkley has more weight in his hands, when he pivots, the other end of the see-saw, i.e. his feet, can go higher than without a weight, while the center of gravity remains the same.
Agree pretty much. But hoisting the weight above his head raises the center of gravity. Plus it has upward momentum. When he leaves his feet, the weight is moving upward. He quickly pulls down, reversing its direction and transferring it’s energy to his body.
Watch the video in slow mo or stop action. Not only does he pull down on the weight but he pulls down on his head, chest, and shoulders. All of that combines to pull upward on his lower body.

Agree pretty much. But hoisting the weight above his head raises the center of gravity. Plus it has upward momentum. When he leaves his feet, the weight is moving upward. He quickly pulls down, reversing its direction and transferring it’s energy to his body.
Watch the video in slow mo or stop action. Not only does he pull down on the weight but he pulls down on his head, chest, and shoulders. All of that combines to pull upward on his lower body.
OK. Got it. Now how much does that 30 lb ? Weight convert to force and what is the force required for a 235 man to jump out of the pool of water?

On twitter threads discussing this, jealous Hawkeye fans discussing how Tristan Wirfs pool jump was better. No one cares about Iowa.

Man it’s fun to curb stomp them regularly now.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and LionJim
OK. Got it. Now how much does that 30 lb ? Weight convert to force and what is the force required for a 235 man to jump out of the pool of water?
You have to consider its momentum, just not mass. What speed was it moving at when he started to pull down? And how much downward acceleration did he impart on the weight?

A bullet weighing 150 grams will do tremendous damage and can knock a full grown man several feet backwards. That tiny mass will transfer a huge amount of energy because of its very high speed.

In this move by Barkley, the weight and energy transfer may only raise his center of gravity a couple inches but that may be enough to complete the jump.

Try this: go outside with a five gallon bucket. Put a couple three gallons of water in it. Slowly swing it behind you then quickly swing it forward. You will feel it pull you forward and in fact, if you jump in that direction and time it right, it will help you jump further. And three gallons is only about 22 pounds.

Totally agree, although I think of it more as a rotation around the center of gravity of the weight/body system than a transfer of energy.

A bullet weighing 150 grams will do tremendous damage and can knock a full grown man several feet backwards. That tiny mass will transfer a huge amount of energy because of its very high speed.

Only in the movies.

If the bullet was knocking a man backwards, then the recoil from the shot would do the same to the shooter.

The 30lb weight helps a lot. Not sure why you're arguing about this.
How much? Apparently it makes him able to do this. If he could do it without the weight he would.

LdN

The 30lb weight helps a lot. Not sure why you're arguing about this.
How much? Apparently it makes him able to do this. If he could do it without the weight he would.

LdN
Not arguing, just trying to understand How Much this helps. 5% 10%? I am sure it takes more effort than jumping with only air resistance, so do the weights counter the water resistance or a portion of the water resistance? Knowledge is your friend. Don’t take offense, you nicely explained it , as did he.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT