ADVERTISEMENT

Sandy Babour Retirement

If we’re talking more money for the wrestling program, then I WONDER if it is time to give BJC a go. Cael has hinted at it. I’m a little worried about empty seats in a 16k arena, but there’s a lot more ticket (and refreshment) revenue to be had than what Rec Hall provides.
Best bet is that they will try 2 BJC matches per year for two years. Based on results they will decide how to proceed in 2024. I’m still hearing some seat License crapola . . . so maybe that gets rolled into “all new seat assignments”. They wind is always blowing in the same direction (get more revenue) and wrestling is one of PSU’s very best products. It’s not hard to see that the new AD will try to leverage the situation.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
Telling paragraph from the ESPN article:

He [Franklin] also wanted someone who can be aligned with him and the president and "streamline some things" to be able to push the program forward in "a little bit less bureaucratic way." Simply put, Franklin said he is looking for someone who can get things done to help Penn State compete nationally.

≈==========

PSU (not just athletics) is extremely bureaucratic, and responsive at glacial speed.

That was deeply entrenched long before Barbour arrived. Also her dept is no more agile today than when she was hired.

The new President and new AD need to change that culture.
Did the article also mention that Franklin was also looking for an AD knowledgeable about clock management and when to go for 2 point conversions? 😉

Best bet is that they will try 2 BJC matches per year for two years. Based on results they will decide how to proceed in 2024. I’m still hearing some seat License crapola . . . so maybe that gets rolled into “all new seat assignments”. They wind is always blowing in the same direction (get more revenue) and wrestling is one of PSU’s very best products. It’s not hard to see that the new AD will try to leverage the situation.
The problem with the BJC is that it is very large for opponents that draw little attention. They need to give everyone a time frame to arrive after which the crowd can "improve" their seating. Using wrestling for example, a short break after say the first or second weight to allow everyone to filter down low. That way the large arena would become very energetic for even relatively small crowds when considering the size of the arena. Or even perhaps some short time before the first weight? Same could be done, and should be done, for other sports like basketball which is often an embarrassment on TV when if they allowed everyone to cram down low it would be at almost zero cost to create a good environment.
if the lower seat ticket holder arrive after the crowd were allowed to re-seat themselves...well they would have to find new seats and maybe next time they'll be early.

Of course, give the long time Rec Hall ticket holders first choice of seating at the BJC.

Last edited:
The problem with the BJC is that it is very large for opponents that draw little attention. They need to give everyone a time frame to arrive after which the crowd can "improve" their seating. Using wrestling for example, a short break after say the first or second weight to allow everyone to filter down low. That way the large arena would become very energetic for even relatively small crowds when considering the size of the arena. Or even perhaps some short time before the first weight? Same could be done, and should be done, for other sports like basketball which is often an embarrassment on TV when if they allowed everyone to cram down low it would be at almost zero cost to create a good environment.
if the lower seat ticket holder arrive after the crowd were allowed to re-seat themselves...well they would have to find new seats and maybe next time they'll be early.

Of course, give the long time Rec Hall ticket holders first choice of seating at the BJC.
I like your idea here but I could see alot of prople standing in the concourse ready to Sprint to lower seats.

I like your idea here but I could see alot of prople standing in the concourse ready to Sprint to lower seats.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
I wonder how long the season ticket waiting list is right now.

Kraft announced as new VP/AD;

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/4...-president-for-intercollegiate-athletics.aspx

Interesting side note;

Penn State's NCAA Division I athletics program — consisting of 31 varsity sports and more than 800 student-athletes and 340 staff ~ 2.25 student-athletes/staff

Boston College, consisting of 31 varsity sports with approximately 700 student-athletes and 215 coaches and staff. ~ 3.26 student-athletes/staff

Kraft announced as new VP/AD;

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/4...-president-for-intercollegiate-athletics.aspx

Interesting side note;

Penn State's NCAA Division I athletics program — consisting of 31 varsity sports and more than 800 student-athletes and 340 staff ~ 2.25 student-athletes/staff

Boston College, consisting of 31 varsity sports with approximately 700 student-athletes and 215 coaches and staff. ~ 3.26 student-athletes/staff
I recently saw a stat that surprised me: UCLA is one of the largest employers in Los Angeles, with 55,000 employees for 44,000 students. Conversely, USC has 22,000 employees for 40,000 students. If we’re talking about organizational bloat and the outrageous costs of college, I would guess that most universities have quite a bit of fat that can be trimmed from their payrolls if they truly want costs to be more affordable.

Reactions: mcpat and Str8DBLz
I recently saw a stat that surprised me: UCLA is one of the largest employers in Los Angeles, with 55,000 employees for 44,000 students. Conversely, USC has 22,000 employees for 40,000 students. If we’re talking about organizational bloat and the outrageous costs of college, I would guess that most universities have quite a bit of fat that can be trimmed from their payrolls if they truly want costs to be more affordable.
A commonality is public vs. private.

Google USC and this appears at the top of the page:

A Trojan Check is no longer be required for campus access

While I agree with your conclusion, I'm not sure that's a great example. A lot of it depends on how employees are counted -- and UCLA owns a massive hospital system.

Reactions: dpd926
I would bet my house (okay, maybe my car) that this is due to how they count their beans. Fancy accounting always looks good on paper.

Reactions: dpd926
The new AD gets 25k for any National Championship in a sport other than FB or BB.

He’ll get a nice bump in his paycheck every March 30th or so
That'll be an HR thread. Penn State pays bonuses to ADs for success. There must be something shady going on.
Of course Coe College administrators do well with bonuses paid by Iowa for Hawkeye successful poaching.

While I agree with your conclusion, I'm not sure that's a great example. A lot of it depends on how employees are counted -- and UCLA owns a massive hospital system.
Great points, El Jefe and Gray52. I had this discussion last night with a prof at a PSAC school and his take was similar to yours. He pointed out differences between contracting out work (dining services, construction) versus having those people as university employees

Reactions: mcpat and hlstone
Great points, El Jefe and Gray52. I had this discussion last night with a prof at a PSAC school and his take was similar to yours. He pointed out differences between contracting out work (dining services, construction) versus having those people as university employees

Would love to hear the profs thoughts on how much money the ‘mergers’ are actually going to save. Hopefully enough to cover the costs of redoing the stationary.

Would love to hear the profs thoughts on how much money the ‘mergers’ are actually going to save. Hopefully enough to cover the costs of redoing the stationary.
FWIW, I just saw a commercial on TV saying IUP is reducing tuition by 20% this Fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT