ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders to the NFL

Hope CJF uses the scholarship on a DT or OT......

Still hope that Gonzo and Windsor come back to anchor the interior lines.....

Last edited:
Congratulations to Miles and his family - he was our best offensive player this year. He’d be appreciated a whole lot more amongst our fanbase if he had followed in the footsteps of a running back that wasn’t the best in school history.

Reactions: searay26 and royboy
Noah Cain picked Penn State due in part to the 3 and out model that was followed by Barkley and now Sanders. Blue chip recruits want to come in and play early and head to the NFL if they are good enough. Up to the training and coaching staffs to get the younger players ready to go. We just saw Hamler, Freiermuth, and Parsons named as Freshman All Americans. That's the goal. Get them in and on the field.

good luck to him. Hope he's not disappointed with a round 3 or 4 selection in the draft.

Lions RB Miles Sanders heading to NFL
ByTYLER DONOHUE 21 minutes ago

Miles Sanders is turning pro following his first season as starting running back at Penn State. The junior announced his decision Thursday, becoming the fifth Nittany Lions underclassman to declare their intention to enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

Sanders, who replaced No. 2 overall 2018 draft selection Saquon Barkley as Penn State's primary ball-carrier this year, follows offensive linemen Ryan Bates and Connor McGovern and defensive linemen Kevin Givens and Shareef Miller out of Happy Valley shortly after a Citrus Bowl loss to Kentucky.

“I want to start by saying that this decision was not an easy one. I have so many people to thank for my experience here at Penn State and so much love for my teammates, coaches and the FANS,” he wrote in a statement. “The Penn State culture has allowed me to grow on and off the field while teaching me valuable life lessons along the way.

“I owe a huge thank you to my mother and my family - none of this is possible without their support though every high and low. Thank you to the fans for bringing and unbelievable energy every single week, no matter the circumstances. Thank you to my coaches Coach Franklin and Coach Smith who recruited me to come to the greatest university in the world, Coach Seider and Coach Rahne for pushing me beyond what I thought I was capable of and to the entire athletic staff for giving me room to develop into the player and man that I am today. Thanks to you all, I’ve achieved some of my wildest dreams and set high goals for the future.

“I’ve made the decision to forgo my senior year and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft. As I prepare for the road ahead, I truly believe this is the best next step for my future. Thanks to so many of you, my future is bright and I’ll never forget my home here at Penn State.”

The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Pittsburgh product spent three seasons at Penn State. His first two campaigns (2016 and 2017) saw him emerge as primary backup to Barkley and field kickoffs. Patience paid off for the former five-star prospect when he stepped into the starting role this fall. A five-star recruit out of high school, Sanders was the No. 21 overall recruit in the class of 2015's 247Sports Composite and the No. 1 running back.

Sanders averaged 5.9 yards per carry during the regular season, rushing for 1,223 yards and nine touchdowns. He surpassed 125 yards in four Big Ten matchups.

In his final performance, during a 27-24 defeat on New Year's Day, Sanders gained 51 yards on 13 rush attempts against Kentucky, adding two receptions for seven yards.

“So appreciative of Miles and his family for how they handled this entire process,” James Franklin said in a statement on Thursday. “Miles is a student of the game and made the most of his opportunities when his time came. He did a great job leading the running back room this season. We are very proud of Miles and how he has grown during his entire Penn State career. We are looking forward to seeing what he can do at the next level.”

Ultimately, Sanders elected to forgo a potential senior campaign at Penn State. For the second straight year, the Nittany Lions will turn to a new starter at running back.

Sanders earned second-team All-Big Ten honors in 2018, listed behind first-team selectionsJonathan Taylor(Wisconsin) andKaran Higdon(Michigan). He was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after his performance in the conference opener (200 yards and three touchdowns at Illinois).

"The thing I'm most pleased with Miles is (he's) not trying to fill Saquon's shoes," Penn State running backs coachJa'Juan Seidersaid in November. "(He's)just being the best Miles he can be. And that's what we talked about going into the season— let's get a year better. Let's not try to worry about living up to everybody's expectations of what they think you should be.Go play your own game, have your own identify for how you feel you should be as a running back and a player. I think he's done a great job with that."

Penn State will return two scholarship running backs in 2019: redshirt freshman Journey Brown and freshman Ricky Slade. The Nittany Lions signed a pair of blue-chip prospects at the position last month: Noah Cain and Devyn Ford.

Cain is set to arrive on campus later this week as an early enrollee. Former Notre Dame running back CJ Holmes transferred to Penn State in 2018.

He’s going to do very well at the combine - he’ll probably run somewhere between a 4.45 and a 4.55, and right around a 4.1 in the shuttle. This is the right call and the right time, especially for a running back with this class compared to 2020.

The guy has been committed to Penn State since he was a high school sophomore in 2014, went from a mid-level four star to the #1 running back in the country, stayed committed as Barkley stormed onto the scene, paid his dues, waited his turn, and put up a really, really good year (that should have been first-team all-conference).

This was the least surprising one so far. Developing these 4/5 start RBs in 3 years will keep the pipeline strong. Now we just need big bodies to open holes for them.

I think miles was definitely an above average RB for us, but I honestly don’t think we take a step back next year. Both brown and slade have another gear that miles didn’t have. Also interested in CJ Holmes.. we are so deep at the position

Reactions: BBrown
I think miles was definitely an above average RB for us, but I honestly don’t think we take a step back next year. Both brown and slade have another gear that miles didn’t have. Also interested in CJ Holmes.. we are so deep at the position

People were predicting doom for the running game in 2018 with Barkley gone and we ended up rushing for more yards and more YPC. It comes down to the entire unit, OL, TE, etc. CJ Holmes, Slade, Brown and see what the freshman can do. I know Ford enrolls in a few days.

Reactions: Zenophile
good luck to him. Hope he's not disappointed with a round 3 or 4 selection in the draft.

Because no back in the nfl has ever been successful not being a round 1 pick. One thing I guarantee, he won't be disappointed getting hurt his senior year, costing him millions.

I expect Cain to play assuming he takes care of academics, etc. he looks to be college ready

This is a good thing. Keeps the young guys hungry seeing the upperclassmen cycle through to the NFL. Nobody wants to sit behind someone for multiple years.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
Judging by our players numbers at the combine last year, I'm excited to see how he makes out in Indy. I think he'll kill it.

Sanders has been a very good RB with an excellent attitude, never seeming to pout bout sitting behind Saquon. I hope he is successful in the NFL and for the rest of his life.

But holy smokes! Look at the RB room at Penn State:

1. 5-star Ricky Slade
2. 3-star (sprint champ) Journey Brown
3. 4-star CJ Holmes
4. 5-star Devyn Ford
5. 4-star Noah Cain

This is the most talented group of RBs, IMO, since 1991 when we had 3 Parade AA (Richie Anderson, Stephen Pitts, and Ki-Jana Carter) and 2 more Scholastic Coach AA (JT Morris, Mike Archie).

Now if only the OL could become a solid force ...

I sincerely believe one of the many reasons he left was being compared to Saquon day in and day out by fans. He was tired of it. He would go live on IG and everyone would mention Saquon EVERY SINGLE TIME. You could see his frustration and annoyance. Can't blame him. Hope he kills it at the next level.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Again who do you scout for?? Nobody knows who NFL teams will draft. Don’t be shocked if goes to Colts in late 2nd.
Obviously I'm not an NFL scout. but what I see what he did in ONE season was average RB production without breakaway speed and has a fumbling problem, Did he kill it against any top teams?? (OSU, Mich, Mich State or KY? I'm guessing he goes in the 3rd or 4th round, we'll all find out later

He has all the tools and will prob blow up at the combine. Just hold onto that ball, man!

Reactions: tboyer
This is a good thing. Keeps the young guys hungry seeing the upperclassmen cycle through to the NFL. Nobody wants to sit behind someone for multiple years.

Ohio State has multiple players declare early every single year. Never seems to hurt them. If you recruit well enough, and we are, it's just a new wave of top athletes getting their shot.

Hope he does great in the NFL. RB is a weird position in the draft. After Clement looked so good in the Big 10 title game against us, I thought he'd get drafted 4th or 5th round. Then he goes undrafted. Then he stars in the Super Bowl. Weird!

Best of luck Boobie! The writing was on the wall. Time to pass the torch to the young bucks.

The future is bright - #RBU

Man, seems like only weeks ago we were recruiting him hard and how great it was when he chose us. His time at PSU really seems to have flown by.

Reactions: Kmase21
Noah Cain picked Penn State due in part to the 3 and out model that was followed by Barkley and now Sanders. Blue chip recruits want to come in and play early and head to the NFL if they are good enough. Up to the training and coaching staffs to get the younger players ready to go. We just saw Hamler, Freiermuth, and Parsons named as Freshman All Americans. That's the goal. Get them in and on the field.

^^^^ THIS is the dynamic that we are faced with now and in the future. Coach Franklin is selling the 3 and out model to the high level 4 and 5 star recruits. The high level 4 and 5 star recruits want to step right in, get down to business, and then get to the NFL as soon as possible. They don't want to be in college for 4-5 years.

If we want the high level 4 and 5 star recruits year in and year out, then we need to be ready for them to depart to the NFL after 3 years in the program. This is the modern day reality of recruiting, the development of football players, and why the glitz and glamour of the top level college programs and NFL appeals to the high level 4 and 5 star recruits. It is the coaching staff's job to develop these players, and if the coaching staff is not putting our players into the NFL Draft year in and year out, then our recruiting will suffer and we aren't going to get the top players. Based on this model, I have a strong suspicion that Coach Franklin has encouraged a few of our players to declare for the NFL Draft this year (namely, Givens, Bates, and McGovern), so that he can demonstrate this model to future recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT