ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders in the slot

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Is there any reason why we never slide him into a slot receiver position out of the backfield? Is it because he doesn't have good hands? I know we did it with Barkley and it was very effective because he got an LB or safety to cover him. It just seems that throwing to our backs is just not part of this offense....and I can't help but think it wold open up lanes for McSorley to run.

Because It wasn’t in Mooreheads playbook and Rahne isn’t smart enough to actually design new plays

yes it was....Barkley lined up in the slot last year more than just a few times. I remember seeing it from my endzone seats and watching a LB slide over. we also ran a ton of wheel routes with him. I do not recall seeing one wheel route with Sanders.

yes it was....Barkley lined up in the slot last year more than just a few times. I remember seeing it from my endzone seats and watching a LB slide over. we also ran a ton of wheel routes with him. I do not recall seeing one wheel route with Sanders.

I was just being a smartass. Touché.

Is there any reason why we never slide him into a slot receiver position out of the backfield? Is it because he doesn't have good hands? I know we did it with Barkley and it was very effective because he got an LB or safety to cover him. It just seems that throwing to our backs is just not part of this offense....and I can't help but think it wold open up lanes for McSorley to run.
Sanders has good hands. They haven't thrown to him much though. Only once yesterday. Tough throw that Trace wasn't able to get to him. This season, he has 9 catches for 58 yards with a long of 19 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Sanders has good hands. They haven't thrown to him much though. Only once yesterday. Tough throw that Trace wasn't able to get to him. He has 9 catches for 58 yards with a long of 19 yards.

when you sit in my seats you can see how things would open up if you just slid him out...plus, I can't remember seeing one jet sweep all year, another look that would get a Hamler or Polk more involved.

when you sit in my seats you can see how things would open up if you just slid him out...plus, I can't remember seeing one jet sweep all year, another look that would get a Hamler or Polk more involved.

Hamler scored on a jet sweep against Pitt

I couldn't make the game, but it looked as if Sanders was open in the flat several times yesterday, but Trace was looking at him.

I was wondering why they didn't at least try to run misdirection with Hamler, Polk or Thompkins off of Sanders movement yesterday. tOSU strung it out completely, but it might have been worth a try yesterday since they stubbornly ran Sanders off-tackle to the right without much consistent success. Just my attempt at some armchair coaching.

Last edited:
we did alot of stuff yesterday that didn't work!

I'd like to see more build up plays. How often do you see us motion Hamler to set up for the Jet Sweep? Fake the JS into a run or a pass? Or even try the JS?

Football is highly advanced today compared to even 20 years ago. DAntonio was a good DC before becoming a head coach. Yesterday, he made defensive adjustments at halftime that shut us down. A big INT return and subsequent first and goal ended with an XP length FG. Nothing that we do builds off anything. It's literally like playing PS4.

Sanders was WIDE WIDE open out in the flat at least 6-7 times yesterday and was totally ignored.

Reactions: 4INSBU
We’ve run at least a couple of wheel routes to sanders. One was called back because of holding or a block in the back, the other sanders dropped though in his defense trace led him more than he needed to

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT