ADVERTISEMENT

Aller running... why?

SoParkLion

Sep 23, 2001
We're we just getting him reps or were we trying to make future teams assign someone to keep him from scrambling? I realize that he's not fragile but the risk of injury is real and he was running in meaningless time, mostly because the OL couldn't open holes in garbage time.

Reactions: Jerry and ram2020
We're we just getting him reps or were we trying to make future teams assign someone to keep him from scrambling? I realize that he's not fragile but the risk of injury is real and he was running in meaningless time, mostly because the OL couldn't open holes in garbage time.
He is also not an RPO QB, so hopefully we mold an offense to his multiple talents, just not running.

A lot of QBs need to run for their own benefit. It’s a psychological thing. If you just stand back and hand off or throw all day you feel less of a football player...sort of prima Donna ish. Run a few times and you feel more a part of the team. Strange but true.

Making hard contact is inspiring. Running over a guy or making a great move gives a lot of confidence to the player. And the adrenaline rush is somewhat addictive. The team gets fired up, the crowd goes crazy, coaches pumped....quite the head trip.

Also, a tough QB inspires the rest of the team. Respect. Comradery. Leadership.

And it certainly puts a lot more pressure on the D.

Oh yes they can. I've read it in this board for a long, long time. They can have it both ways and they will.
Whatever works after the fact is what we should have done in the moment….it’s a perfect system of coaching (couch coaching that is).

Because it is football not badminton. Explain how the RPO works without a Qb that runs?

If you think the goal is for Allar to run a bunch, you may just have Clifford Derangement Syndrome and are letting stuff cloud your judgement..

Allar is mobile for a big QB a la Josh Allen. He can throw on the run (see his step forward and strike to Dinkins yesterday) and he can run as well. I'm a lot more comfortable with him not running vs Purdue now because it shows he's looking down field and trusting his arm and his reads. He isn't going to be perfect at it either.

I dread when he finally throws an INT. Board mafia go way overboard sometimes. Allar LOOKS like an NFL prospect. And he's made some great plays already. Plenty of room for optimism. Be happy! It's fun.

I guess all you twits never saw QB get injured while standing in the pocket like a Yield Sign. Lol.

For me, I just don't like the formation we use. I'd rather see the running back deeper in the backfield. Bring him closer when it's a true RPO play, but most of the time go with more of a pistol or under center.

Yes, I really like the under-center package a la the 94 offense. If you watched Kentucky beat Florida yesterday you would have seen a lot of that. They are finally using Levis the way they should be using Levis, and from what the announcers said, a lot of pro scouts are very interested.

This is what we should be hoping for with Allar. College is for their future, not just entertainment for us. Players at that level are being prepared for professional football. If you say most won't make it, well the reality is most probably won't make it in the fields they've chosen for majors either.

RPO = Run Pass Option. Either hand it off for a run or pass it, does not involve a QB running. He is an RPO guy just like Nick Foles was in Philadelphia.
BS or keep it and run.

You guys know more than orthopedic surgeons whose specialty is sports injuries.

Reactions: cigarowl
My point exactly. Unless he's become an RPO guy, or we now want/need to make him an RPO guy given our OL situation.
Allar carried the ball five times. Of those five, one was a sack, and one was on a 4th and 1. Of the remaining three, at least one was a case of the defense keying on the RB and leaving a substantial hole for the QB. Allar carried for 8 yards and converted on 3rd down. Of the remaining two, IIRC one was a blown play and the other was similar to the 8 yard gain in that the defense went after the RB and left a hole that Allar was able to exploit for a 5 yard gain..

At this point, many, if not most, college offenses expect the QB to do some running; PSU's is one of the many. For perspective, Bryce Young currently leads Alabama in rushing yardage and is second on the team in carries with 12, the same number as Clifford. If we're going to give a back-up QB "meaningful" snaps, it seems reasonable that those snaps involve using the whole playbook, including the plays where the QB running is an option. If you don't, you're not asking him to really run your offense.

Last edited:
Just watched the Rams and Bills play on Thursday. Guess what Josh Allen isn’t an RPO QB nor was he known as a running QB. But him taking off running really screwed the Rams defense. If you’re 6’-5” 240 plus and can run that makes NFL scouts drool. Even the Chargers QB runs from time to time. Allar is doing exactly what he needs to do if he wants to be the #1 pick. Franklin is teaching this kid right!

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
To clarify--you're suggesting people can't ever question a coaching decision?
Sure, but they should keep in mind they’re making the decision after the fact so they know if it didn’t work, the coaches don’t have that luxury. And a coach can call a perfect play and if someone misses a block or drops the ball, it’s not the coaches fault.

Allar carried the ball five times. Of those five, one was a sack, and one was on a 4th and 1. Of the remaining three, at least one was a case of the defense keying on the RB and leaving a substantial hole for the QB. Allar carried for 8 yards and converted on 3rd down. Of the remaining two, IIRC one was a blown play and the other was similar to the 8 yard gain in that the defense went after the RB and left a hole that Allar was able to exploit for a 5 yard gain..

At this point, many, if not most college offenses expect the QB to do some running. For perspective, Bryce Young currently leads Alabama in rushing yardage and is second on the team in carries with 12, the same number as Clifford. If we're going to give a back-up QB "meaningful" snaps, it seems reasonable that those snaps involve using the whole playbook, including the plays where the QB running is an option.

I'm OK with a few runs as long as they are coached to protect themselves.

The cost of injury is too steep. With the transfer portal, teams will have a steep drop off if the starter goes down. I expect that Veilleux will be gone soon. Looks like he can play. Levis is a prime example of what is likely to happen across college football. You really want to recruit a star every other year.

With all of this said, I think the most likely injuries to QBs involve them passing or scrambling. We just don't want to add to the probabilities. Protecting yourself from injury is best done through pocket awareness, and going down when appropriate in scrambling.

We at least know what a RPO play is. Which does not involve the QB keeping it.
No you don't.

1. there are variations of the RPO.
2. The only time Drew came close to getting hurt was on the late hit to the head in the pocket.
3. No one ask him to run the pistol version of the RPO.
4. According to you all Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben should have never run.

Please Stop the nonsense.

Sure, but they should keep in mind they’re making the decision after the fact so they know if it didn’t work, the coaches don’t have that luxury. And a coach can call a perfect play and if someone misses a block or drops the ball, it’s not the coaches fault.
Of course--"Monday morning quarterbacking" is always easier but there's a lot of things people disagree with before/at the time that isn't with the benefit of hindsight

No you don't.

1. there are variations of the RPO.
2. The only time Drew came close to getting hurt was on the late hit to the head in the pocket.
3. No one ask him to run the pistol version of the RPO.
4. According to you all Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben should have never run.

Please Stop the nonsense.
LOL ok. I never mentioned Allar running, which having a willing runner is a good threat to have. I clarified what an actual RPO play is which does not have a QB running.

Of course--"Monday morning quarterbacking" is always easier but there's a lot of things people disagree with before/at the time that isn't with the benefit of hindsight
Every time I’ve asked for a play call or what the team should do before a crucial play, no one has any answers, but they sure have opinions after the play is over. And even other things, the only “solutions” I read are things that are so easy that I’m quite sure the coaches have thought of it as well and it’s not quite the cure-all that posters think it is.

Keep him on the bench...then he will never get hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
LOL ok. I never mentioned Allar running, which having a willing runner is a good threat to have. I clarified what an actual RPO play is which does not have a QB running.
Great.

But the thread started out that he should not run... because it made him more vulnerable to injury...
I guess he should stop flicking his wrist on the run for TDs because he could sprain an ankle or wrist.

I did not see anything yesterday where Allar was used like McSorley... nor will we see that ever.

He’s going to be a much better runner than people expect. SC only had 163 yards rushing last year.

Every time I’ve asked for a play call or what the team should do before a crucial play, no one has any answers, but they sure have opinions after the play is over. And even other things, the only “solutions” I read are things that are so easy that I’m quite sure the coaches have thought of it as well and it’s not quite the cure-all that posters think it is.
Again, so you're saying coaching decisions can't be questioned?
Pick a lane...

I didn't have a problem with any of the play calls yesterday. My main gripe is that the offense overall does not yet show the variety and formations needed for a strong running game. That is needed to support a great passing quarterback. If you don't have that the defense just tees off and kills your QB. Short passes to the TE and RB can help too. Keeps the rush honest. Protects the QB.

I didn't have a problem with any of the play calls yesterday. My main gripe is that the offense overall does not yet show the variety and formations needed for a strong running game. That is needed to support a great passing quarterback. If you don't have that the defense just tees off and kills your QB. Short passes to the TE and RB can help too. Keeps the rush honest. Protects the QB.
I see more short passes to the TE and RB when Allar takes over as the starter. He seems to have really good field vision.

Allar running doesn't really bother me. To be a starter and win games against good teams he'll need to get comfortable picking his spots and running when it makes sense. No, PSU idn't need him to run yesterday to win. But his play yesterday was more about development and learning when and when not to run is part of his development as well as part of him getting comfortable with all aspects of being a top starting QB.

Our RPO usually has 3 to 4 run pass options on each play. Hand to back, QB run, QB throw quickly or QB start to run and dump to safety valve. For Allar the QB running option will usually be #3 or #4 but still an option to pick up needed first downs or open yards. Allar needs to learn reads and make quick decisions. He seems to be really learning quickly. Running now and then is part of the deal. it also keeps teams from just bringing it to a stationary QB. Much more likely to be hurt standing in pocket and getting hit while throwing than running the ball and learning to get down without taking big shots. I don't want him to run over people although he probably could.

Reactions: OaktonDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT