ADVERTISEMENT

Russ Rose and other WVB news

I suspect that Russ has "had enough" of the "PSU Administration" and is looking forward to building a WVB program at another university. I personally don't think he makes it to 2020 and suspect this will be his last season at PSU.

Go forth and prosper Russ.
That has to be it. I mean it is son unusual for a man in his 60s with a great pension to retire from a stressful job that requires ungodly hours. It has to be that he had enough with the administration. It is completely common for a person to pick up and move at 64 years old to start a rebuilding job after staying 38 years at his previous stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueBand
Yeah, 409, b1g championships in 2005 and 2008, and continued Success With Honor were awful.

Why did Joe have to let it linger?
Did you forget the awful years and the non stop arrests of players? He was a figure head at that time. He rambled on almost incoherently in press conferences. He often couldn't even name all the players on the team.

Last edited:
That has to be it. It mean it so unusual for in his 60s with a great pension to retire from a stressful job that requires ungodly hours. It has to be he had enough with the administration. It completely common for a person to pick up and move at 64 years old to start a rebuilding job after staying 38 years.
I replied for no other reason than to preserve your "grammar" or lack thereof.

"It mean it so unusual" :rolleyes:

"It completely common" :rolleyes:

You attended Pitt, but clearly didn't graduate.

I suspect that Russ has "had enough" of the "PSU Administration" and is looking forward to building a WVB program at another university. I personally don't think he makes it to 2020 and suspect this will be his last season at PSU.

He could have "had enough" of the PSU administration or like
most normal 66 year old people be ready for retirement. Since
you think it is the former, I am sure it is the latter.

Reactions: 2atpsu
He could have "had enough" of the PSU administration or like
most normal 66 year old people be ready for retirement. Since
you think it is the former, I am sure it is the latter.
Certain individuals are motivated by their inherent desire to "help others become better people".

You clearly aren't one of those individuals.

I doubt he'd go elsewhere. But retiring? It's about the right age, frankly.

Edit: After reading the article, I think he's said exactly what he meant to say--I see no hidden messages there.

Reactions: step.eng69
I replied for no other reason than to preserve your "grammar" or lack thereof.

"It mean it so unusual" :rolleyes:

"It completely common" :rolleyes:

You attended Pitt, but clearly didn't graduate.
Hey boy you wanna compare degrees you pompous ass!

Those are quite an assortment of beautiful, athletic women!

Megan posted a pic of all of them on a boat in bikinis drinking champagne but her Instagram is private and I'm not able to share that photo...it is ridiculous though. These girls are FIT.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

I tend to disagree.

If that were the case, I think we might see some indications of it in recruiting. However, it appears to be the opposite. PSU has 7 verbals for the class of 2018, and 3 for the class of 2019.

If The Rod and AD Joyner were still the "PSU Administration," I would agree with you. There was a great deal of friction between Joyner and Rose.

I haven't specifically asked about his relationship with the current administration, so perhaps you're right. However, I'm pretty sure that someone would have mentioned to me if there were major issues.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Megan posted a pic of all of them on a boat in bikinis drinking champagne but her Instagram is private and I'm not able to share that photo...it is ridiculous though. These girls are FIT.

Do you mean you are not able to share or you won't share? If you don't know how to download Instagram pics, I can help you.

Assuming he retires in 2020, thoughts on our next coach? I know it's a few years out and things change, but ....a current assistant on staff, or someone from another program? Hopefully the program maintains its position as an annual contender for the national championship.

Assuming he retires in 2020, thoughts on our next coach? I know it's a few years out and things change, but ....a current assistant on staff, or someone from another program? Hopefully the program maintains its position as an annual contender for the national championship.
Two thoughts on that. The first is that it would not surprise me if they go way outside the pSU family for a new coach. They've been heading in that direction--and that well before 2011, if you look at hires the last 10 years. Second, if they are willing to consider someone with any PSU ties, one thought is former assistant Steve Aird (hope I'm spelling that right), though he might be pretty settled at MD by that point. I've heard good things about him--he was a club coach for at least one of a friend's kids (whose HS team made it to States her senior year--in California).

Do you mean you are not able to share or you won't share? If you don't know how to download Instagram pics, I can help you.

Don't know how to share - I shared the earlier one without issue because her account is not private.

I may have to get booth review to confirm, but I believe that this is an egregious violation of board rules for posting about beautiful women without including a photo. That being said, fit/athletic (not muscle bound) women are much more attractive than either the waif or the super curvy types.
alliso-stokke-female-athlete.jpg

Reactions: hlstone
Salima Rockwell was brought in from Texas as an assistant coach about 2 years ago and is likely to succeed Russ. She is one of the top assistants in the country.
I always thought this was a no-brainer. Still do.

I may have to get booth review to confirm, but I believe that this is an egregious violation of board rules for posting about beautiful women without including a photo. That being said, fit/athletic (not muscle bound) women are much more attractive than either the waif or the super curvy types.

I think that is Rickie Fowler's new GF Allison Stokke. Quite the hottie.

Coach gave a generic answer to a question. I wouldnt read much into it. His relationship IMO with the A.D. is on par with Franklin, Chambers and Sanderson. The administration treats the volleyball program very well.

That is one magnificent woman.

Did you forget the awful years and the non stop arrests of players? He was a figure head at that time. He rambled on almost incoherently in press conferences. He often couldn't even name all the players on the team.
Cripes, let it go. What do you possibly get out of making this point for the ten-thousandth time?

Salima Rockwell was brought in from Texas as an assistant coach about 2 years ago and is likely to succeed Russ. She is one of the top assistants in the country.

Salima was an asst. at Penn State before she went to Texas, then returned two years ago. She's also a former Penn State player. She currently holds the title of Asst. Head Coach. I'm pretty sure the plan is to make her Russ' successor.

Having said that, Steve Aird would love to have the PSU job and IMHO would be an excellent choice for the PSU head coaching job.

I'm no recruiting expert but my understanding is that vball recruiting has a longer lead time than what we see with football. A friend's daughter committed to her B1G school as a sophomore in HS. It would seem that not having a clear line of succession would be bad for recruiting.

Not quite a woman. She was 17 when that picture was taken.
I was aware that she became famous for being an attractive pole vaulter when she was in high school... I tried to find a photo where it was clear that she was "of age", but the ones I saw from college (Cal) did not do her justice.

I'm no recruiting expert but my understanding is that vball recruiting has a longer lead time than what we see with football. A friend's daughter committed to her B1G school as a sophomore in HS. It would seem that not having a clear line of succession would be bad for recruiting.
As others have said, there is a pretty clear line of succession. Salima was here as an assistant coach, left, and came back as assistant head coach. Of course, there is no guarantee that the she is just given the job automatically, but she is there with the idea of providing a stable transition when Rose retires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT