ADVERTISEMENT

Russ Rose and other WVB news

Did you forget the awful years and the non stop arrests of players? He was a figure head at that time. He rambled on almost incoherently in press conferences. He often couldn't even name all the players on the team.

I think that's a bit extreme but I understand your point. Joe couldn't travel to recruit, he was easily fatigued, and acted grumpy when stressed. Most agree that he stayed too long.

My observation was that he was extremely coherent when he was rested but lost it when he was tired and stressed.

I may have to get booth review to confirm, but I believe that this is an egregious violation of board rules for posting about beautiful women without including a photo. That being said, fit/athletic (not muscle bound) women are much more attractive than either the waif or the super curvy types.
alliso-stokke-female-athlete.jpg
Depends on the gal. Some have an inner beauty that shines through.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
As others have said, there is a pretty clear line of succession. Salima was here as an assistant coach, left, and came back as assistant head coach. Of course, there is no guarantee that the she is just given the job automatically, but she is there with the idea of providing a stable transition when Rose retires.

I'm not sure PSU is doing that anymore. It certainly changed under Curley, and we haven't really seen Sandy promote from within (coaching-wise).

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Spanier pushed Curley to look outside the PSU family for head coaches in Curley's last 2-3 years, which Curley did. Until then, it seemed the ICA philosophy was that only Penn Staters (former students, current or former assistants) could understand what it took to coach at Penn State. That was part of JoePa's legacy -- his sense of loyalty to those who worked hard and were honest. I always felt that it led to an inbred athletic department.

Obviously, that former philosophy no longer obtains, and I think it's a good thing.

Spanier pushed Curley to look outside the PSU family for head coaches in Curley's last 2-3 years, which Curley did. Until then, it seemed the ICA philosophy was that only Penn Staters (former students, current or former assistants) could understand what it took to coach at Penn State. That was part of JoePa's legacy -- his sense of loyalty to those who worked hard and were honest. I always felt that it led to an inbred athletic department.

Obviously, that former philosophy no longer obtains, and I think it's a good thing.
I agree. I never really understood that sort of thinking. The Grand Experiment culture is ingrained at PSU and I wasn't worried that it would dissipate once Joe left. We did hit a home run with CJF, though.

I think a bit longer than that, actually--more like Curley's last 5-6 years.

I think the change has been mostly good. Some continuity is not a bad thing. Nor is loyalty. But I think we had our own little bubble in Happy Valley, which made it tougher to spot problems before they occurred. Bringing in folks from the outside does challenge the status quo, and that can be healthy.

Salima Rockwell was brought in from Texas as an assistant coach about 2 years ago and is likely to succeed Russ. She is one of the top assistants in the country.
Agreed. I just assumed that the way we were able to lure her back from Texas was for Russ to have a handshake agreement with her that she'd be a top candidate to replace him when he left. Texas is also a top notch volleyball program, I'm not sure why she'd have left there otherwise. She's been considered one of the top assistant coaches for a long time now, surely she's had head coaching opportunities come and go. I can only assume she's just waiting for the right one.

Megan posted a pic of all of them on a boat in bikinis drinking champagne but her Instagram is private and I'm not able to share that photo...it is ridiculous though. These girls are FIT.

Yeah, I remember that - the girls and I had a great time on the boat...frolicking in the water, drinking champagne and margaritas, eating fresh caught seafood, sunbathing al fresco on the bow sundeck.....what's that? I am awake now? Oh. Damn.

I think a bit longer than that, actually--more like Curley's last 5-6 years.

That's true. Curley had mostly outside hires. Some that worked, some that didn't. His hires included:

Robbie Wine from Okie State for baseball in 2004.
Beth Alford-Sullivan from Stanford for track in 2006.
Erica Walsh from Harvard for soccer in 2007.
Coquesse Washington from Notre Dame for WBB in 2008.
John Hargis from Arkansas for swimming and diving in 2008 (he did have an earlier stint as a PSU assistant tho, so he wasn't 100% an outsider).
Bob Warming from Nebraska-Omaha for soccer in 2010
Jeff Tambroni from Cornell for lacrosse in 2010.
Cale Sanderson from Iowa State for wrestling in 2010.
Jeff Thompson from Auburn for WGym in 2010.
Missy Doherty from Towson in 2011 for lacrosse in 2011.
Guy Gadowsky from Princeton for hockey in 2011.
Pat Chambers from Boston U for basketball in 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT