ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Details

MoyerJones

Jan 5, 2015
Seems the only thing that is getting reported widely is Bowen being added, but he also appears to have added some weight (+15 give or take). That got me thinking/looking about any other weight climbers in the off-season. I'm not sure how legit weights are from site to site/year to year, so I used GOPSU for 2018 and 247 for 2017; I'm not sure if certain sites just let the players phone it in, or if there is some guy who just estimates; and I think you have to assume that players will lose some weight this time of year.

Here are just a few:
Parsons, Luketa, and Katshir all have the size to contribute at LB immediately (all in 230s)
Cam Brown put on 10lbs
Koa +15lbs
Journey +10lbs
Bucholz +10 (ahem Schwan)
Juwan +10
Kuntz +20!!!! (10lbs lighter but 1" taller than MG).

If this has been discussed somewhere else other than a thread about Pitt or Urban, let me know, and I will drop it there. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any size improvements, etc. Hopefully these guys were eating calm chickens.

Seems the only thing that is getting reported widely is Bowen being added, but he also appears to have added some weight (+15 give or take). That got me thinking/looking about any other weight climbers in the off-season. I'm not sure how legit weights are from site to site/year to year, so I used GOPSU for 2018 and 247 for 2017; I'm not sure if certain sites just let the players phone it in, or if there is some guy who just estimates; and I think you have to assume that players will lose some weight this time of year.

Here are just a few:
Parsons, Luketa, and Katshir all have the size to contribute at LB immediately (all in 230s)
Cam Brown put on 10lbs
Koa +15lbs
Journey +10lbs
Juwan +10

If this has been discussed somewhere else other than a thread about Pitt or Urban, let me know, and I will drop it there. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed any size improvements, etc. Hopefully these guys were eating calm chickens.

Wow I'm kind of hoping the Koa's numbers aren't accurate.
He put on weight last year too and (to me) it looked like he lost some speed.

If Bowen wasn’t part of the team, do we know whether he’s put on good weight or bad weight?

Here are just a few:
Cam Brown put on 10lbs
Koa +15lbs
Journey +10lbs
Juwan +10

I think some of your weights are off. Farmer dropped a pound as did cam Brown from 2017 weights. Juwan +5 and Bucholz is down.

I always get a big kick out of the heights and weights. Are they legit? Who knows.

I remember in high school (little Class A school) we had a LT listed as 6'5" 250. The guy could play, he went on to play at Delaware, but the truth was 6'2" 220. Still a big boy . . . but come on, man.

Slade and Journey weights, if true, show good signs to give Miles a breather, and for KR.
I think both Nassib and Schwan were 260-270ish their senior years (re Bucholz)
I do agree you can never just rely on weights but I think HS school is a little different. If they are accurate, I would say that you'd still have to factor in that these guys will drop some pounds through August.

Reactions: LionJim
Slade and Journey weights, if true, show good signs to give Miles a breather, and for KR.

I assure you both Slade and Journey have higher goals than returning kicks and giving Sanders (edit) a breather...they're fighting to be the primary back

Edit: Good catch Howie

Last edited:
I assure you both Slade and Journey have higher goals than returning kicks and giving Barkley a breather...they're fighting to be the primary back
Agreed...but if Sanders has a good year, he'll be wearing an NFL logo next season. (especially if Barkley pans out in the NFL) Slade is a true Fr and Brown a RS Fr (IIRC). So winning the KO return job bodes well for them being that feature back over the next two or three seasons beyond 2018

Sanders is going to need one hell of a year to make it worth his while to go pro. I mean I'm all for one hell of a year, but I just don't see it. The reason being is he could improve his stock, even with a new QB in 2019.

Are the guys not measured when they report for fall practice?
I assume the sizes listed as of 8/4/18 are accurate.
As noted many will shed some weight during the season.

Agreed...but if Sanders has a good year, he'll be wearing an NFL logo next season. (especially if Barkley pans out in the NFL) Slade is a true Fr and Brown a RS Fr (IIRC). So winning the KO return job bodes well for them being that feature back over the next two or three seasons beyond 2018

I think backs should always go pro after 3 years so I won't disagree on that. All comes down to Sanders--its his job to keep or lose. I do think we're going to see a much more even split between the backs this year.

Sanders is going to need one hell of a year to make it worth his while to go pro. I mean I'm all for one hell of a year, but I just don't see it. The reason being is he could improve his stock, even with a new QB in 2019.

RBs don't want mileage. Yes, he's had almost no carries so far in his college career but if he has the kind of season many here believe he's capable of having he should declare. The goal for a RB isn't to go high--just be drafted.

I've seen a lot of pictures of Slade fielding kicks/punts since practice began

Roster H/W numbers are best viewed as approximations.

I've seen a lot of pictures of Slade fielding kicks/punts since practice began
Well, coming in, Slade is deep on the chart. his HS stuff was tremendous. I doubt you have a true freshmen returning kicks, at least early in the year.

Roster H/W numbers are best viewed as approximations.
I read a writer talking about his start in football...apparently, one of his first jobs was to document weight and height for the Balt Ravens. He said that, from time to time, Ray Lewis would walk by. He eagerly waited for Lewis to come over. But Lewis would just yell over to him "245!" and that was it.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I remember Franklin saying that Shaka Toney wasn't nearly as heavy as listed last season. He's listed at 241 this year and probably isn't that big. From what I know of roster sizes, they are all over the place, some accurate, some not. It was/is that way in HS, too.

I think both Nassib and Schwan were 260-270ish their senior years (re Bucholz)
I do agree you can never just rely on weights but I think HS school is a little different. If they are accurate, I would say that you'd still have to factor in that these guys will drop some pounds through August.

Yep, Nassib was in the 270's and was a dominant pass rusher as well as very good against the run. I'm hoping to see Buchholz with a similar physique this year, and YGM with that type of frame as well as dominant quickness this year or next....

My understanding of the news on Buchholz over the past year was that he first cut weight, getting rid of the "bulk". And then worked to put on some additional good muscle weight while continuing to work on the quickness that will help him as a more full time DE.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoyerJones

Yep, that's why an updated roster is issued going into Fall practice - to update the growth of the players physical development (as well as additions and subtractions such as Franklin and Bowen) ...

I remember Franklin saying that Shaka Toney wasn't nearly as heavy as listed last season. He's listed at 241 this year and probably isn't that big. From what I know of roster sizes, they are all over the place, some accurate, some not. It was/is that way in HS, too.

We will see how big Toney is as the season gets under way, but even though CJF said he was lighter last year he also said that Toney was finally able to add good weight this past off season. So I am looking for a legit 240 lb Toney this year.......

Players typically “bulk up weight” in the winter and burn off the fast in the summer.
I remember being surprised at the drop in weights last year from winter
To fall practice. Not sure when these weights are from.
I also read that a lineman can lose eight pounds in one practice, so there is that factor. It is all about the good weight.

We will see how big Toney is as the season gets under way, but even though CJF said he was lighter last year he also said that Toney was finally able to add good weight this past off season. So I am looking for a legit 240 lb Toney this year.......
Remember many moons ago, PSU recruited a HS AA, listed as 6-2, 220. PSU roster = 6-0. Actual, 5-9, 220.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT