ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Toby Keith, age 62

So my favorite Toby Keith story. He apparently ran into Clint Eastwood at an event and struck up a conversation. He wanted to know how Eastwood kept his energy and was still creative well into his 80s. This was 2017 or 2018 when Clint would have been in his Mid-80s (he's now 93).

So when asked, Clint replied, "I don't let the old man in." He went on to explain that he drives past any notion of being old, kind of like JoePa did, and keeps being productive no matter what age might present as an impediment.

Months later, Clint gets a note from Toby with an audio of the rough cut of a song named "Don't Let the Old Man In". Clint was finishing up acting and producing a movie named "The Mule". it is about an old guy who was estranged from his family and transported drugs in order to make a lot of money to help support the family after his passing. Clint called Keith and said he wanted to use the song to be played as a backdrop to his closing credits in the movie. Keith said that was great. He would need a couple of months to record and produce it. Clint said, no, he wanted it raw and simple. He wanted to use the recording Keith had sent him. And that is what happened, if you ever see the movie named "The Mule".

Sadly, Toby Keith never got the opportunity to fight old age.

Here's a link to part 2 of a 2 part interview News 9 in Oklahoma City did with Toby a week ago.
While it's not fun to watch Toby fans will find it informative and uplifting. I'll post part 1 Separately

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So my favorite Toby Keith story. He apparently ran into Clint Eastwood at an event and struck up a conversation. He wanted to know how Eastwood kept his energy and was still creative well into his 80s. This was 2017 or 2018 when Clint would have been in his Mid-80s (he's now 93).

So when asked, Clint replied, "I don't let the old man in." He went on to explain that he drives past any notion of being old, kind of like JoePa did, and keeps being productive no matter what age might present as an impediment.

Months later, Clint gets a note from Toby with an audio of the rough cut of a song named "Don't Let the Old Man In". Clint was finishing up acting and producing a movie named "The Mule". it is about an old guy who was estranged from his family and transported drugs in order to make a lot of money to help support the family after his passing. Clint called Keith and said he wanted to use the song to be played as a backdrop to his closing credits in the movie. Keith said that was great. He would need a couple of months to record and produce it. Clint said, no, he wanted it raw and simple. He wanted to use the recording Keith had sent him. And that is what happened, if you ever see the movie named "The Mule".

Thanks. Hope you don't mind that I plagairized some of your explanation/story for a wake up call to my PSU brothers, and more than a few others.....

Last edited:
Thanks. Hope you don't mind that I plagairized some of your explanation/story for a wake up call to my PSU brothers, and a few others.....
Greg, thanks for that post. I had not heard that story before and it makes the lyrics more meaningful.

Greg, thanks for that post. I had not heard that story before and it makes the lyrics more meaningful.
I appreciate it, but thank Obli. I only forwarded the story and also the video link from his 2023 performance at the country music awards to a long list of friends so that they too can be reminded to "get with it" and live our last years to the best of our abilities.

I appreciate it, but thank Obli. I only forwarded the story and also the video link from his 2023 performance at the country music awards to a long list of friends so that they too can be reminded to "get with it" and live our last years to the best of our abilities.
Agreed. My pet response to anyone who has suffered a loss is that this is a) a celebration of life and what that person did to help you and b) a reminder that life is finite. Every day is an opportunity. Its all part of the circle of life and that person's last gift was to remind you to leave it all out on the field.

i got that song qued up from that show and play it often.. as a man of a certain age, it always brings a tear to my eyes. much too close to home for me. r.i.p., toby.

Great story....

Reactions: Cowbell Man
After fighting stomach cancer. Wow, too soon
I saw a video with him. He knew he was going to die but he said he was at peace with it. He cited his faith as the reason. Big props to him for getting back in the public eye performing instead of laying down.
He was definitely one of the good guys, a real patriot. God bless his wife of 39 years and his 3 daughters.
We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Think about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT