ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Stephen Hawking...

Tom, so why did you LIKE his death? Seriously, we need a add a DISLIKE option.

I’m sure The Big Bang Theory will have a show that will address his death.....he’s made several cameo appearances over the years.

A brilliant and well respected individual, may he Rest In Peace.

I’m sure The Big Bang Theory will have a show that will address his death.....he’s made several cameo appearances over the years.

I think it was a “like” out of respect, which is fully deserved.:)

not so complicated. Midnighter and I made a post about the news pretty much at the same time. I then merged the two posts into one thread, and noticed while I was doing it that Midnighter had liked my post. So I returned the favor, so to speak, in appreciation that he had posted the same info.

I'm not at all pleased that Hawking passed away; far from it.

not so complicated. Midnighter and I made a post about the news pretty much at the same time. I then merged the two posts into one thread, and noticed while I was doing it that Midnighter had liked my post. So I returned the favor, so to speak, in appreciation that he had posted the same info.

I'm not at all pleased that Hawking passed away; far from it.

Just a poor attempt at a little humor tonight; certainly understood 100% what you meant and I agree 100% with your sentiment.

In this day and age where fame and notoriety are thrust upon people who bring no substantive value to society
(looking st you Kardashians), it's nice that an intellectual was given creedence by popular media.

RIP Dr. Hawking. Yoyr legacy is secure.

Well said. It's sad society (globally) doesn't honor these people better. They are great role models.

His contributions to cosmology and astrophysics cannot be overstated. And to me, being able to still do those things despite his physical limitations is phenomenal, very inspirational. I would have loved to have had an hour with him to pick his brain about his ideas.
Did you know how he read scientific journals? He had a big library table in his office on which his assistant would place journals around the edge, like so many dinner settings. Hawking would go from journal to journal, reading one page at a time, with his assistant periodically showing up to turn the pages.

I read A Brief History of Time back when it was first published. I think I'll pull it off the bookshelf and give it a second read.

Fascinating book written by a fascinating man.

RIP professor.
That was my choice for a book report in high school. Renditions of future and past light cones made their way onto some of my notebooks while I was bored in some classes.

Rolling Thunder! RIP!

I read A Brief History of Time back when it was first published. I think I'll pull it off the bookshelf and give it a second read.

Fascinating book written by a fascinating man.

RIP professor.
I read it too. Now I'll have to dig through boxes of books to read it again. Probably still won't fully understand it.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
His contributions to cosmology and astrophysics cannot be overstated. And to me, being able to still do those things despite his physical limitations is phenomenal, very inspirational. I would have loved to have had an hour with him to pick his brain about his ideas.

I would feel way too stupid to enjoy an hourlong conversation with Mr. Hawking. You ever start dating a girl and you watch your first hockey game with her and she spends the entire time making you explain everything that's happening. Seems like that's how I'd make Hawking feel.

Fonzi does not approve this message..:eek:
beagle2.jpg

It appears you're getting the "tongue" & the "dick" from the Fonz

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Interesting Fact

Albert Einstein - Born 3/14/1879
Stephen Hawking - Died 3/14/2018

for 2 super smart scientists born/died on PI Day 3.14!
Good catch. Sometimes I think things are not coincidences. So many little details fit in this world for it to be purely happenstance.

He definitely was working in a level few of us could even fathom. Theoretical physics is a field where you have to put your pre-conceived notions on how the universe works on hold because you are always a moment away from having your mind blown. The best way to “get” it is to go in with the idea that everything is possible . Even then, many ideas will leave you scratching your head. . Truly fascinating field.

Dr Hawkings contributions have been simply amazing.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

Started out with a really stupid question. Then made a very good point. We’d save a lot of keystrokes if we could just thumbs-down a message. Problem is the number of focus groups that have determined that option would basically kill message board dialogue. People don’t tend to approach likes and dislikes the same way.

Reactions: LionJim
Last edited:
Started out with a really stupid question. Then made a very good point. We’d save a lot of keystrokes if we could just thumbs-down a message. Problem is the number of focus groups that have determined that option would basically kill message board dialogue. People don’t tend to approach likes and dislikes the same way.

This is why 247’s board and community is so awful.

Good catch. Sometimes I think things are not coincidences. So many little details fit in this world for it to be purely happenstance.

He definitely was working in a level few of us could even fathom. Theoretical physics is a field where you have to put your pre-conceived notions on how the universe works on hold because you are always a moment away from having your mind blown. The best way to “get” it is to go in with the idea that everything is possible . Even then, many ideas will leave you scratching your head. . Truly fascinating field.

Dr Hawkings contributions have been simply amazing.

Not necessarily relevant to PI day, but Hawking was also born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death (January 8, 1642).

I am going to officially change my name to the symbol.

I will be like Prince. Only without the musical talent or the ability to get insanely sexy women. So....not really like him at all. :oops:
Sounds like neither talent nor game. But...

Your face be jammin'?
Body be heck-a-slammin'?

U got that look? I assume no since no game but...
I mean, you’ve gotta at least be taller!!!

In this day and age where fame and notoriety are thrust upon people who bring no substantive value to society
(looking at you Kardashians), it's nice that an intellectual was given creedence by popular media.

RIP Dr. Hawking. Your legacy is secure.
So on the money, ro. And you know, we can probably extend this into the sports world. Yeah, it does provide entertainment, but our preoccupation with it as a society is way, way over the top.

I would feel way too stupid to enjoy an hourlong conversation with Mr. Hawking. You ever start dating a girl and you watch your first hockey game with her and she spends the entire time making you explain everything that's happening. Seems like that's how I'd make Hawking feel.
LOL me too. But it would still be fun to ask him questions and be dumbfounded by the answers.

(looking at you Kardashians), it's nice that an intellectual was given creedence by popular media.

RIP Dr. Hawking. Your legacy is secure.

Given your sig pics, the irony feels a bit thick here. Not that I'm complaining.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT