ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Frank Broyles....

The 1964 Arkansas national championship team was quite a story.

The coaching staff included Broyles, a really good d-coordinator in Jim McKenzie, plus Barry Switzer and Johnny Majors. The team was under-sized, even for the day (their bowl opponent Nebraska out-weighed them by a large margin) but had some very determined players like Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones, and Ken Hatfield. They shut out the last 5 opponents in the regular season, and then beat Nebraska 10-7 with a late touchdown.

RIP, Coach Broyles.

The 1964 Arkansas national championship team was quite a story.

The coaching staff included Broyles, a really good d-coordinator in Jim McKenzie, plus Barry Switzer and Johnny Majors. The team was under-sized, even for the day (their bowl opponent Nebraska out-weighed them by a large margin) but had some very determined players like Jimmy Johnson, Jerry Jones, and Ken Hatfield. They shut out the last 5 opponents in the regular season, and then beat Nebraska 10-7 with a late touchdown.

RIP, Coach Broyles.
Wide tackle 6 baby!!

Frank Broyles ' God is usually on the side of the team with the two best tackles!!"

When Joe died, Coach Broyles said this:
“He was a team player. He represented the university both in athletics and academics. He did everything a person in athletics would hope he could do. He just was able to fulfill what people would look for and admire and respect in a person who is dealing with young people at the college level.
“I think it’s tragic to even have to think what his legend is going to be. It’s going to be a person who went to a university, stayed there, coached, worked, his way up, remained there until he died. I don’t know how you improve on that.
“The great thing is, he had a program there that he was proud of and proud to be a part of. He didn’t use it to better himself. The school took care of him. He loved his work there. He respected it. He presented them with integrity. Everything he did, when you think of Joe Paterno, you know he’s successful, but you bring out first his integrity.”

Rest in Peace Coach Broyles.

Frank Broyles on Joe Paterno at the time of Joe's passing: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/661334-coaches-others-remember-joe-paterno

FRANK BROYLES

Arkansas head coach, 1958-76

“He was a team player. He represented the university both in athletics and academics. He did everything a person in athletics would hope he could do. He just was able to fulfill what people would look for and admire and respect in a person who is dealing with young people at the college level.

“I think it’s tragic to even have to think what his legend is going to be. It’s going to be a person who went to a university, stayed there, coached, worked, his way up, remained there until he died. I don’t know how you improve on that.

“The great thing is, he had a program there that he was proud of and proud to be a part of. He didn’t use it to better himself. The school took care of him. He loved his work there. He respected it. He presented them with integrity. Everything he did, when you think of Joe Paterno, you know he’s successful, but you bring out first his integrity.”

**ha...fairgambit beat me to it. Well, it was worth saying twice. :)

Wide tackle 6 baby!!

Frank Broyles ' God is usually on the side of the team with the two best tackles!!"

Wide tackle 6
Now that was FOOTBALL !!!

My high school teams played some Wide Tackle 6 back in the day. It was fun playing the single safety on the back end.
There was none of this read option in those days. If a team put the ball in the air 10 times in a game it was because it was getting beat and running out of time. The game was far more Woody Hayes than Joe Morehead back then.

Reactions: JoeFi
Man coach Broyles and Keith Jackson in the booth when we beat Georgia in the 83 Sugar bowl was a great combo. Loved his Southern down home way of describing what went down. A true coaching legend.

I only knew him as a commentator and he was a really good one. Love when he paired with Jackson -- they both had such a deep knowledge of football and could illuminate what was going on with a game. I think Broyles in the early days initially had a skepticism about Penn State and eastern football but he and Jackson both became Paterno fans.

Reactions: Bob78
Thank you Fair and Roy for posting that quote. For some reason, despite reading seemingly tomes about Joe these past 6 years, I had never read that quote until you posted it. Quite honestly, it alters my perception of Broyles and his regard for Joe and Penn State.

Thank you Fair and Roy for posting that quote. For some reason, despite reading seemingly tomes about Joe these past 6 years, I had never read that quote until you posted it. Quite honestly, it alters my perception of Broyles and his regard for Joe and Penn State.
Mine as well. My only memory in that regard was him implying that Joe had the officials in his back pocket when a call went our way against BC. His words were something to the effect that "I could say something, but I won't."

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Loved hearing him say, "Pin State"

When OJ McDuffie was having a great season... maybe '89?... we were playing at Syracuse, (again, I think), and OJ was having himself a day. What I recall from watching the game on TV was Broyles saying over and over "O (pause) J (pause) Mack (pause) Duffeh" - dropping the 'long e' sound at the end - in that slow, deliberate, terrific drawl of his.

RIP.

I remember a TIC story he told about the rivalry games Arkansas played against Texas back in the day. He said that one year they were playing the Longhorns in Austin and he knew his team was in trouble before the game started. The Texas band was playing "The Eyes of Texas..." and he was shocked to see all of the refs with their hands over their hearts singing along.

I remember a TIC story he told about the rivalry games Arkansas played against Texas back in the day. He said that one year they were playing the Longhorns in Austin and he knew his team was in trouble before the game started. The Texas band was playing "The Eyes of Texas..." and he was shocked to see all of the refs with their hands over their hearts singing along.

My favorite Broyles line was when PSU beat a team (I think it was Alabama 23-3, but it may have been a similar fundamentally sound game), he said in assessing PSU: "ball control offense, bend but don't break defense, and a solid kicking game -- that's the formula for winning football, Keith."

I can almost hear him saying it. He was great.

Reactions: LionJim and Bob78
Another coaching legend has sorrowfully passed on. The fine folks in Arkansas, college football fans from his era and anybody who watched those games on ABC, in the years before that network that will remain unnamed, mourn his departure.
I'm sure that coaches table in heaven has a place set for him.
RIP
PIG SOOEY RAZORBACKS!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
My favorite Broyles line was when PSU beat a team (I think it was Alabama 23-3, but it may have been a similar fundamentally sound game), he said in assessing PSU: "ball control offense, bend but don't break defense, and a solid kicking game -- that's the formula for winning football, Keith."

I can almost hear him saying it. He was great.
This game was played at Alabama.....and Alabama was favored going into the game......Penn State in its traditional road whites.......fundamentally perfect the entire game (as you quote Broyles assessment)....he and Keith absolutely loved it......after running out of superlatives for Penn State....and as the game was nearing the end, Keith finally concluded that "I think we are witnessing an upset at Alabama"....and Broyles responded "Keith, I don't think this was an upset."

Reactions: Bob78 and Dr. Evel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT