ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Aretha Franklin

Loved the Queen of Soul. I think August 16th was the day Elvis died also. Ironic with the Memphis connection and all.

Reactions: core6371
Yea sorry about that I should have told everyone to fast forward. Thanks.
Good stuff though, Incredibly talented.
She really was a "National Treasure".:(

Indeed BBrown, a "National Treasure."

Well said.

Fortunately, future generations will have videos like yours that recorded the greatness we experienced, while Aretha was with us.

RIP

Reactions: nits74
So many to choose from, but for whatever reason my personal favorite:

GettyImages-52206283-640x480.jpg

Hulton Archive/Getty Images
16 Aug 2018

Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, passed away on Thursday at the age of 76 years old at her Detroit home, according to her publicist.

Franklin, who was under hospice care when she passed away, dropped down to 86 pounds.

The singer’s family said in a statement:

“In one of the darkest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our heart. We have lost the matriarch and rock of our family.”

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/08/16/aretha-franklin-dead-at-76/

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Kinda funny that her most well known song, a feminist fight song of sorts, is a cover of a song about a hard working man wanting a little respect from his wife.

Watched this movie with my kids at least 6 dozen times. What a great scene. White bread, toast, dry, with nothing on it. Love it.

RIP.

When I think of her, I think of that......... Plenty of things to think about with her, but that one stands out... After all, she was giving it to the one and only Apollo Creed.

My wife and I saw Aretha at Heinz Hall around 15 years ago. We had great seats as subscribers to the Pops series of concerts. It was an eclectic crowd and there was more dancing in the aisles than I’ve ever seen there (I participated). She told a story of driving to Pittsburgh from Detroit with her girlfriends in the 1950’s that involved drinking Mannaschevitz wine and chasing men, it was hilarious. We had a blast!

Aretha was invited to perform at President Obama’s inauguration in 2009. As Pittsburgh is on the route from DC to Detroit, she scheduled a show at Heinz Hall the next night. We had front row seats in a sold out house. She was clearly tired after being involved in the festivities from the day before and it was apparent that her health wasn’t good, but it was still a show that we remember fondly.

Aretha told more stories than usual between songs and even took an unscheduled break while her band (filled with Grammy winning artists) “vamped” for her. Her manager used the time to give us biographical sketches of the team she brought to WDC for the special event. It was an incredible roster of musicians. What a wonderful night!

Rest In Peace Aretha - Queen of Soul!

Reactions: nits74 and psuro
Carl Weathers was Apollo Creed but they do look like they could pass for twin brothers.

Dear Lord, I thought they were the very same actor. And for all these years. My mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT