ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball REPORT: Micah Shrewsberry considerd a leading candidate for Big East opening

My take is that he appears to be a "relationship" guy. We gave him his shot. He will respect us for that. Unfortunately the AD is not the one who hired him.

Money and geography favor ND and Gtown. Haven't read much about ND since Brey stepped down...which has me nervous.

We should enjoy the next week or so...the Shrew era may be short. IF we pay him well, and he thinks the security and relative merits of being worshipped for being a middle of the pack team are worth it...he may stick.

We'll see.

Georgetown, nothing much for a long time. He can do much better of he wants to listen to offers. PSU has Big Ten money that Georgetown doesn't. Not going there.

PSU coach is candidate for every vacancy that comes up. This all sounds very familiar.🤔🤔

Reactions: psu1969a
This would be a great time for Pegula to step forward, along with a few of his well off PSU buddies, and make a major contribution to get Kraft to announce that a new arena designed for optimal baskeball events is being designed and will be ready for the beginning of the 2025 basketball season.

No idea about coach Shrew's afinity to the Catholic way of sports regarding ND.

But if Shrew is lost to Georgetown the whole PSU athletic dept should get canned....... That would be like losing Franklin to Pitt.

Reactions: bison13
Georgetown is not even really a step up anymore, but they would pay him more. get with it PSU, normal people do not turn down doing the same job for way more money . psu gave Franklin a $70 million contract, and he is up and down. pay the man

If he leaves us for Georgetown, either I am overestimating coaching in the BIG10 compared to the big east, or administration is not committed to the basketball program financially. No way Georgetown should be able to outspend us.
if the administration lets him get away after two years with his own son committed for next year, it is hard to believe that they want this program to succeed at all

So Ewing was fired yesterday and Shrews is already a leading candidate? Wonder when they had the time to talk to him….during the game last night? I’m quite sure a lot of teams will be interested, but to call him a leading candidate at this point is just click bait.

I very much doubt he would take a job at Georgetown, though he would be right there in the biggest of all recruiting hotbeds in the country. As many bad things about Penn State basketball as we all know, Georgetown would take a ton of work to get back to even being a decent biggest team.

I also saw the Pitt coach was was the “leading” candidate for the G-Town job so who knows.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I very much doubt he would take a job at Georgetown, though he would be right there in the biggest of all recruiting hotbeds in the country. As many bad things about Penn State basketball as we all know, Georgetown would take a ton of work to get back to even being a decent biggest team.
PSU's proximity to DC should allow Shrew to recruit that area well from State College. But it would seem he knows the midwest areas and has contacts there already, and there is plenty of BB talent available a couple of hundred miles around PSU. If PSU and the PSU alumni and community give Coach Shrew the support he deserves, including salary, salaries for top assistants, and recruiting budget, I believe he'll recruit at a higher level than we have ever seen in the history of PSU basketball. As I already posted a new BB arena would be the icing on the cake that might keep Coach Shrew at PSU long enough to where PSU is actually spoken about nationally as a yearly NCAA tourney participant and a threat to get to the B10 title game.

He knows how to put the pieces he has together to win games, he seems to love his players and they seem to love him, and his personality should help win over the support he needs at PSU going forward.

Reactions: step.eng69
If he leaves us for Georgetown, either I am overestimating coaching in the BIG10 compared to the big east, or administration is not committed to the basketball program financially. No way Georgetown should be able to outspend us.

This. Georgetown obviously has a much more rich history, but we are far from their glory days and they don't have any particular features that make that a significant destination job. The Big East is a solid hoops conference but not the best. And while Georgetown is an high quality academic school with some prominent alumni, I'm not sure how robust their sporting booster culture in terms of fund raising for sports and hoops in particular.

If we can't retain a coach from going to Georgetown given our overall athletics and Big Ten revenues then we basically have no hope for basketball. It's not like he is an alumnus or legacy from there.

I'm just hoping we can retain him for at least another year to keep some momentum.

Pat is not letting him go… our program is at a critical juncture.. Coach can get us over the hump and the Athletic Dep NEEDS PSU basketball to be successful and generate cash..

BTW.. have to also thank the powers to be who negotiated the new Media rights contract with Fox etc.. helps everyone …

Reactions: 07mantle
So Ewing was fired yesterday and Shrews is already a leading candidate? Wonder when they had the time to talk to him….during the game last night? I’m quite sure a lot of teams will be interested, but to call him a leading candidate at this point is just click bait.
Plenty of time for his agent to create a story to generate interest though.

Georgetown is not even really a step up anymore, but they would pay him more. get with it PSU, normal people do not turn down doing the same job for way more money . psu gave Franklin a $70 million contract, and he is up and down. pay the man
It’s not 1997 anymore. I’d be shocked if Georgetown is seen as a step up from PSU. No idea what their BB budget is but it would surprise me if they can pay a bunch more than PSU.

This. Georgetown obviously has a much more rich history, but we are far from their glory days and they don't have any particular features that make that a significant destination job. The Big East is a solid hoops conference but not the best. And while Georgetown is an high quality academic school with some prominent alumni, I'm not sure how robust their sporting booster culture in terms of fund raising for sports and hoops in particular.

If we can't retain a coach from going to Georgetown given our overall athletics and Big Ten revenues then we basically have no hope for basketball. It's not like he is an alumnus or legacy from there.

I'm just hoping we can retain him for at least another year to keep some momentum.
Big empty arenas are a similarity between the two jobs....

This is the hump. If we’re ever going to be competitive on the big stage, we have to get over it. Now would be a good time! Coach is a keeper.
Pay the man and commit to investing in a program on the rise. He needs a commitment for a robust recruiting budget which allows him to recruit nationally & internationally. The admin needs to do this or he walks.

It’s not 1997 anymore. I’d be shocked if Georgetown is seen as a step up from PSU. No idea what their BB budget is but it would surprise me if they can pay a bunch more than PSU.
they can and will pay their coach a lot more than Micah is getting now. I read that PSU pays Micah 2 million.

in the end, though, I bet they will do exactly what they did with Ewing and hire someone based on having a big name.

Georgetown is the exact kind of job Chambers would have bolted for if had ever figured out how to win. i would be more worried about Micah if there was a huge opening in the b1G like Indiana or Purdue.

Krafty can be a hero. Stop focusing 100% on bloody football which is a money pit and will always be 10-15. BB, like wrestling, can be so much more impactful to the overall scheme of things. Krafty can be the guy who cracks the omega code. He was at Indiana. He knows. The eastern teams are done. Philadelphia is open now that Villanova is not Wright any more. Come on Krafty do what Neeli hired you to do. It’s there for the taking.

Krafty can be a hero. Stop focusing 100% on bloody football which is a money pit and will always be 10-15. BB, like wrestling, can be so much more impactful to the overall scheme of things. Krafty can be the guy who cracks the omega code. He was at Indiana. He knows. The eastern teams are done. Philadelphia is open now that Villanova is not Wright any more. Come on Krafty do what Neeli hired you to do. It’s there for the taking.
they just need to do something that guarantees he is here for another 4 years minimum

losing him after two years would just be embarrassing on top of being bad for the program

if he eventually goes to the nba or purdue, fine there's nothing we can do. but losing him to georgetown after one hot streak does not paint a good picture of the program. not quite as bad as ed leaving for navy but not good at all

This would be a great time for Pegula to step forward, along with a few of his well off PSU buddies, and make a major contribution to get Kraft to announce that a new arena designed for optimal baskeball events is being designed and will be ready for the beginning of the 2025 basketball season.
Greg, I usually like your posts, but this "ain't gonna happen quickly".....
Year or two for the preliminary design phase, all of the environmental ducks have to be in place, followed by Planning Commission, Zoning-Hearing process, and the other government agencies that need to be addressed. Following the hundreds of hours involved for permits submitted to DEP & the other government agencies involved,
....the actual design-construction plans may lead to fruition.
After the all documents are approved and in place.....
What do you believe the actual construction-building time will involve..
two yrs minimum.

Since the 2020 debacle with Covid, steel prices raised from $1.50 to $6.00 per pound. Shortages of experienced workers at the steel fabricating plants have taken a grave toll on producing steel for projects.
Bottom line, it is difficult getting steel structural members from fabrictors to fulfill construction contracts.

Reactions: GregInPitt
You do know that PSU just finished an 11-2 season and won the Rose Bowl and will be a preseason top 10 team. I want PSU to have a successful basketball program too, but you shouldn’t have to diminish one program for another; other schools are able to be very successful in both. Also, please remember that PSU football is the program that enables all other programs to exist.

they can and will pay their coach a lot more than Micah is getting now. I read that PSU pays Micah 2 million.

in the end, though, I bet they will do exactly what they did with Ewing and hire someone based on having a big name.

Georgetown is the exact kind of job Chambers would have bolted for if had ever figured out how to win. i would be more worried about Micah if there was a huge opening in the b1G like Indiana or Purdue.
Georgetown now is at a level only slightly above Catholic schools like Dayton, St. Bonaventure, St. Joe’s, etc. In fact, Dayton probably has surpassed Georgetown. Also, it’s no longer in the old, classic Big East. I think that it will be very hard for programs like Georgetown and St. John’s to ever recapture the magic of the 1980s. College hoops, save for a Gonzaga and a few others, now is being taken over by the football schools.

Did you just call football a money pit? By money pit you mean the program that allows Penn State to fund basically every other one of their athletic programs right?

I would say at minimum we should see the basketball program get an extra 2 million per year. Whether that means an extra million a year for the head coach and half 1 million per year for assistant salaries and another half 1 million for the infrastructure or however, you want to break it down.

I expect Shrewsberry to leave at some point but not for Georgetown. Notre Dame could be a problem for us to keep him. We knew the day he came here if he was successful he'd likely leave for a more high profile program or the NBA.

Anyone else read the letter dated 2/24 the PSU President sent interally to faculty outlining the current PSU budget woes?

Sound like they should officially be part of the Federal government as they seem to spend money they don't have right in line with them....

Probably won't want to have to cut their own salaries and benefits to give it to Shrew....

Last edited:
Anyone else read the letter dated 2/24 the PSU President sent interally to faculty outlining the current PSU budget woes?

Sound like they should officially be part of the Federal government as they seem to spend money they don't have right in line with them....

Probably won't want to have to cut their own salaries and benefits to give it to Shrew....
I believe this is the letter, Greg

Centre Co., PA (WJAC) — Earlier this week, Penn State president Neeli Bendapudi shared her vision for the future of the university.

In a new letter to faculty and staff, she's also releasing more details about the university's budget situation, saying that Penn State, in recent years, has spent more money than it has brought in.

“We need to hold ourselves accountable. Are we going to transform our internal operations? Many of the systems in higher education were set up for yesterday, not for today and not for tomorrow.”

The university's internal operations now also under an extensive budget review.

In the latest update to faculty and staff, Bendapudi confirmed a $140 million deficit in the university's education and general funds budget.

According to Bendapudi, the deficit is due to various factors, including inflation, recent tuition freezes, lower enrollment numbers, and the pandemic costing Penn State more than $400 million.

Bendapudi says the university last year had $350 million in reserve funding and was using $100 million per year from that funding, which means without changes to the budget, the reserve funding to cover basic expenses at Penn State would be gone in three years.

What’s ahead for the future as a new budget model is adopted?

Bendapudi says some departments may have to reduce employee numbers, evaluate or delay program launches, or defer some purchase or improvements.

She stresses "while the overall institution is not in a financial crisis, I do understand these changes will have a significant impact for some units.”

Bendapudi also points out that while Penn State has an $8.4 billion operating budget, almost half of that amount belongs to Penn State health.

Penn State trustees have challenged Bendapudi and university administrators to balance the budget by July of 2025.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I believe this is the letter, Greg

Centre Co., PA (WJAC) — Earlier this week, Penn State president Neeli Bendapudi shared her vision for the future of the university.

In a new letter to faculty and staff, she's also releasing more details about the university's budget situation, saying that Penn State, in recent years, has spent more money than it has brought in.

“We need to hold ourselves accountable. Are we going to transform our internal operations? Many of the systems in higher education were set up for yesterday, not for today and not for tomorrow.”

The university's internal operations now also under an extensive budget review.

In the latest update to faculty and staff, Bendapudi confirmed a $140 million deficit in the university's education and general funds budget.

According to Bendapudi, the deficit is due to various factors, including inflation, recent tuition freezes, lower enrollment numbers, and the pandemic costing Penn State more than $400 million.

Bendapudi says the university last year had $350 million in reserve funding and was using $100 million per year from that funding, which means without changes to the budget, the reserve funding to cover basic expenses at Penn State would be gone in three years.

What’s ahead for the future as a new budget model is adopted?

Bendapudi says some departments may have to reduce employee numbers, evaluate or delay program launches, or defer some purchase or improvements.

She stresses "while the overall institution is not in a financial crisis, I do understand these changes will have a significant impact for some units.”

Bendapudi also points out that while Penn State has an $8.4 billion operating budget, almost half of that amount belongs to Penn State health.

Penn State trustees have challenged Bendapudi and university administrators to balance the budget by July of 2025.
could probably get back into positive territory by firing useless administrators and closing a number of underused branch campuses

not rocket science and people have been pointing this out for decades. the massive number of branch campuses is a relic of the depression era

could probably get back into positive territory by firing useless administrators and closing a number of underused branch campuses

not rocket science and people have been pointing this out for decades. the massive number of branch campuses is a relic of the depression era
I just don’t understand the branch campus aspect of it. With the amount of online courses being offered, there’s no need to have various branch campuses having less than 1000 students. I realize that and some of those small towns it does create some jobs but whatever company would buy, the property could also create jobs.

Brilliant. Focus on the sports that lose money and have no fans.

Reactions: psugo and bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT