ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering a past that never was

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
Some people here seem to remember a time when PSU was a perennial top 4-5 team, winning a natty every other year or so, and going undefeated on a regular basis. I was lucky enough to be an undergrad during what was probably the best four year run we EVER had, 1968-1972, and even THAT
wasn't as good as some of you seem to think things were-or should be.

Hell, Nick Saban's record wouldn't satisfy some of you. I suggest remembering where we were in 2012, and compare that to where we are now.

These kids and this staff are working their asses off- give them some support instead of throwing bags of flaming dogshit.

Some people here seem to remember a time when PSU was a perennial top 4-5 team, winning a natty every other year or so, and going undefeated on a regular basis. I was lucky enough to be an undergrad during what was probably the best four year run we EVER had, 1968-1972, and even THAT

Hell, Nick Saban's record wouldn't satisfy some of you. I suggest remembering where we were in 2012, and compare that to where we are now.

These kids and this staff are working their asses off- give them some support instead of throwing bags of flaming dogshit.
This is so true. When I was in school at PSU (1978 - 1983) the team was one of THE powers and went - 11-1(mythical NC loss to ALA), 8-4, 10-2, 10-2, 11-1 (mythical NC win over GA). What if you went to school between 2000- 2004? 5-7, 5-6, 9-4, 3-9, 4-7. PSU was 12-0 in 1973, 13 years later in 1986 and 8 years later in 1994. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of programs that didn't have 3 undefeated seasons in that span. Still. There were losses and lots of complaints about Joe.

Last edited:
This is so true. When I was in school at PSU (1978 - 1983) the team was one of THE powers and went - 11-1(mythical NC loss to ALA), 8-4, 10-2, 10-2, 11-1 (mythical NC win over GA). What if you went to school between 2000- 2004? 5-7, 5-6, 9-4, 3-9, 4-7. PSU was 12-0 in 1973. Their next undefeated season was 1994. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of programs that didn't have 2 undefeated seasons in that span. Still. There were losses and lots of complaints about Joe.

Wrong.....was 1986, not 1994.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Fair points, but 1968-1972 was every bit as good as it gets. Take 1968-1973. Three undefeated seasons. Total of, I think, what six losses. And three of those in 1970, which was a big rebuilding year. Probably should have had at least two national championships, were it not for the bias against Eastern football.

Fair points, but 1968-1972 was every bit as good as it gets. Take 1968-1973. Three undefeated seasons. Total of, I think, what six losses. And three of those in 1970, which was a big rebuilding year. Probably should have had at least two national championships, were it not for the bias against Eastern football.
Even without the NCs, that had to be the pinnacle - to date - of PSU football.

yes, it was- and that's exactly my point- it hasn't happened since, and it really hasn't been all that close- in over 45 years

so what exactly would make some of these people happy?

I think most were getting to the point of being happy until these big game meltdowns started and have continued. And as I indicated in another thread I don't think we should be satisfied after those sort of losses. It's just fans being fans. Better to be pissed than disinterested, no? And after yesterday, I admit to finding myself headed in that direction. Now, that could be a function of my age.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think most were getting to the point of being happy until these big game meltdowns started and have continued. And as I indicated in another thread I don't think we should be satisfied after those sort of losses. It's just fans being fans. Better to be pissed than disinterested, no? And after yesterday, I admit to finding myself headed in that direction. Now, that could be a function of my age.

So getting throttled by the Buckeyes and losing by 10 to Sparty would make people feel better?

It's that thing about being a fan(atic) and having a balanced life. I went completely disinterested after our daughter was born in 2000. Good timing. I'm real interested again, but do not feel a loss the way I once did. I try to be "rational." Going to the game helps me keep a better perspective. I am still sometimes out of control when watching the games on TV, and am really grateful to my friend who invites me to about half of the games each season. Last night, I was mentally prepared for MSU to score on that last drive, even as as I was yelling my head off with the rest of a really loud crowd, while MSU was lining up and calling signals. When they scored, I went numb and then walked home without any post-loss angst.

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
Agree Joe would build for a 4 year shot , after 73 lots of growing pains against mediocre competition until 78. Won NC in 82 but 83 was rough etc.
There are many here who could imagine us winning a big championship within 5 years of the JF hire, including myself.
The recruiting of Defensive players and wr's are an understatement.

Reactions: osu68
So getting throttled by the Buckeyes and losing by 10 to Sparty would make people feel better?

Close losses magnify little mistakes. It’s easier to microanalyze every bounce of the ball when one change could in theory have turned an L into a W. There aren’t as many hairs to split in a blowout.

At least people here care. If you want to see what a fan base that’s given up looks like go spend a few minutes on the Rutgers board. Ash has literally lost that fan base.

I'd rather get blown out like they did at Michigan in 2016 than lose the way they have in the 5 games since. When you have a lead with 5:00 to go in the 4th quarter of the 5 games you've lost since that Michigan debacle, it's a ton more frustrating than if a team just comes out and is better than they are for the majority of the game.

Reactions: MaconNitt and doc69
I'm with you. PSU was so physically dominated in that game. Don't want to go back to that.

Nobody, no fan, no expert, no human alive saw that debacle and thought we were going to win the B10 that year. Anybody who wants to return to that performance over games being winnable is purely in a strange state of mind post-2 years, 2 losses in a row.

It's that thing about being a fan(atic) and having a balanced life. I went completely disinterested after our daughter was born in 2000. Good timing. I'm real interested again, but do not feel a loss the way I once did. I try to be "rational." Going to the game helps me keep a better perspective. I am still sometimes out of control when watching the games on TV, and am really grateful to my friend who invites me to about half of the games each season. Last night, I was mentally prepared for MSU to score on that last drive, even as as I was yelling my head off with the rest of a really loud crowd, while MSU was lining up and calling signals. When they scored, I went numb and then walked home without any post-loss angst.

I'm like that also. Have often wondered why watching on TV gets me more into a lather. You'd think it would be the opposite.

I'm like that also. Have often wondered why watching on TV gets me more into a lather. You'd think it would be the opposite.
It is something I keep working at to overcome, but it's futile. If you figure out a trick to shut down the hyperactive central nervous system while watching PSU games on TV, let me know.

yes, it was- and that's exactly my point- it hasn't happened since, and it really hasn't been all that close- in over 45 years

1968-72 was the peak in this program's history, in terms of winning. The other peaks were the 4-5 year periods leading up to 1982, 1997, and 2009. And the program was trending down when Franklin took over, due to the sanctions, but he has won 2/3 of his games over five years.

Many people do not remember how bad things got in 2000-04. Any other coach would have been fired at that point and I think probably that staff should have been fired at that point.

Franklin is doing well and the program is in a fine place.

Maybe the bias against eastern football at that time was justified. Not exactly a group of juggernauts. Maybe Penn State hasn’t dominated the Big 10 like people thought when they joined because the Big 10 is better than they get credit for and/or Conference play is tougher than being an independent.

This is so true. When I was in school at PSU (1978 - 1983) the team was one of THE powers and went - 11-1(mythical NC loss to ALA), 8-4, 10-2, 10-2, 11-1 (mythical NC win over GA). What if you went to school between 2000- 2004? 5-7, 5-6, 9-4, 3-9, 4-7. PSU was 12-0 in 1973, 13 years later in 1986 and 8 years later in 1994. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of programs that didn't have 3 undefeated seasons in that span. Still. There were losses and lots of complaints about Joe.

Come on guys the difference is if you are gonna sell sell sell ... you better deliver. you will find down periods at any school. It took 35 years for Penn State to go through a truely sucky stretch. Winning was hard and is always going to be hard.
I also remember being held up as the standard of winning with academics. Yes that meant something pre twitter world.

Maybe the bias against eastern football at that time was justified. Not exactly a group of juggernauts. Maybe Penn State hasn’t dominated the Big 10 like people thought when they joined because the Big 10 is better than they get credit for and/or Conference play is tougher than being an independent.

You need to read more record books

Come on guys the difference is if you are gonna sell sell sell ... you better deliver. you will find down periods at any school. It took 35 years for Penn State to go through a truely sucky stretch. Winning was hard and is always going to be hard.
I also remember being held up as the standard of winning with academics. Yes that meant something pre twitter world.
Indeed. That's the point, but back to back 11-2 seasons doesn't suck either. Then again, I don't pay attention to the sell sell sell stuff. I don't follow media coverage. I mainly get it second hand here. It's amusing to me, as are your references to it. I don't have a bone to pick with Franklin about it. Not much has changed with the football team's academics as far as I can tell. They're still above average.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Indeed. That's the point, but back to back 11-2 seasons doesn't suck either. Then again, I don't pay attention to the sell sell sell stuff. I don't follow media coverage. I mainly get it second hand here. It's amusing to me, as are your references to it. I don't have a bone to pick with Franklin about it. Not much has changed with the football team's academics as far as I can tell. They're still above average.

11-2 is really good really good. I agree. Losing to Pitt (the way it happened) was bad. Michigan game in 2016, that happens. USC again it happens. The loss at OSU was bad followed a weird MSU game ...again shit happens. This years MSU loss was bad.

But if you follow PSU athletics (they want you too) you will see the sell sell mentality. It's annoying esp. If goods arent delivered. That's my only bone. I love Franco Harris. He doesnt belong on the bus. Neither does Hammer. Boosters don't belong on the team flights. My hero zero doesn't need to be blasting outside the entrance. Captains don't have to be giving out signed footballs sponsored by car dealers. College football is amazing as a stand alone entity. If I want that I'll go to the spikes in June.

When Penn State goes undefeated I hope Franklin calls them "a pretty good football team"

You need to read more record books
He'll use what he can to discredit Paterno. This apparently is the agenda. The Big Ten in those days was certainly no juggernaut. And he conveniently leaves out from that period the Orange Bowl wins over two Big Eight champions, the pummeling of Texas in the Cotton Bowl, and a win over LSU, also in the Orange Bowl. Certainly a flawed resume there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudge1026
I'd rather get blown out like they did at Michigan in 2016 than lose the way they have in the 5 games since. When you have a lead with 5:00 to go in the 4th quarter of the 5 games you've lost since that Michigan debacle, it's a ton more frustrating than if a team just comes out and is better than they are for the majority of the game.
Wait a few weeks! You may get that wish.

“The past isn’t over. It isn’t even past.” Faulkner

He'll use what he can to discredit Paterno. This apparently is the agenda. The Big Ten in those days was certainly no juggernaut. And he conveniently leaves out from that period the Orange Bowl wins over two Big Eight champions, the pummeling of Texas in the Cotton Bowl, and a win over LSU, also in the Orange Bowl. Certainly a flawed resume there.
The Big Ten in the ‘70’s and 80’s was “the Big Two and Little Eight” with the exception of Iowa and that was in the ‘80’s the league was utterly terrible. In fact the eastern independents below Penn St were collectively better than the Little Eight schools. There was an analysis done years ago to that effect. This was years before Wisconsin was Wisconsin, even a school like Northwestern was putrid back then and was below Temple in quality.

Its just that the Big Ten had OSU and Michigan as its anchors and the tie in to the Rose Bowl so they got all the pub. In the early 1970’s Penn St had no such foil, and suffered because of no tie in to a prestigious bowl.

Anyone saying Penn St played lesser teams is just plain ignorant or has an agenda.

Knew their score was coming and walked out the same way you did, as many of us did. I said to my friend tho that people no longer take the losses as deeply as we once did, or at least I did, and that regardless of how loud it gets in there, it seems to have less effect on the other teams than it used to.
To me, these last two losses and endings have been a real kick to the balls.

I remember way back when (I think it was like 2016) when Penn State won the Big Ten Championship and many here were very happy with the coach who led the way.

It was an exciting time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaconNitt
I remember way back when (I think it was like 2016) when Penn State won the Big Ten Championship and many here were very happy with the coach who led the way.

It was an exciting time.
Well his schtick is overachieving with other people's players, so I guess now he's going to have to prove it wasn't a fluke. Like next year.

Before PSU joined, The Big10 got their a$$s handed to it on a regular basis in all big games...look it up...it was not until Meyer joined did they even start to win Big games regularly. JoePa’s record in bowl games is second to none...probably has as many big wins as OSU and Michigan combined

Reactions: RU31trap

It was an exciting time.

And I remember the rightful complaints when the team folded and gave up 2 fourth quarter TDs to lose the Rose Bowl.

Then it happened again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

When you pay top dollar for a product, and PSU fans pay substantially, you want issues like this addressed beyond "we're great but not elite" at a press conference. Now one could easily argue, we are not even great.

Losses are to be expected. What eats at me is losing games that should not be lost & STILL being OSU and Michigan's bitch after 26 seasons,

Well his schtick is overachieving with other people's players, so I guess now he's going to have to prove it wasn't a fluke. Like next year.
I thought overachieving was good.

Just acting like Michigan fans! They have won even less over that time and their fans still think they are one of the best programs going! PSU with all the problems/unfair sanctions have won way more than Michigan.

It is odd that the people that cry the most have no GD clue to the history of the program or actually in the sport. It took Dabo 8 years to climb to the top at Clemson and he didn't walk into a pile of crap and had very mediocore records in the middle of his 8 year run. Saban didn't turn LSU around overnight and again...he didn't have sanctions to start off with. Yes the coaching was very suspsect this weekend, but that has not been the norm. All of these idiots acting like there is some other better magical coach chomping at the bit to be at PSU like Saban, Meyer, or Dabo are completely FOS...totally and utterly FOS. Hell most teams in this country would kill to have Franklin and we have a solid group of idiots trying to undermine him. It is pretty mind boggling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT