ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Undefeated D1 Wrestlers

ItalianLion

Mar 24, 2017
FYI... for whatever value you care to place on it...:)

It's a somewhat "diminished" club after this weekend’s results at 133 & 197

N. Piccininni (OkSt)
J. Muller (UVA)

S. Micic

Yianni D. (Cornell)
B Lantry (Buffalo)

A Ashnault (RU)

J Nolf (PSU)

V Joseph (PSU)
A Marinelli (IA)

M Hall (PSU)

M Martin (OSU)
S Rasheed (PSU)

B Nickal (PSU)
P Weigel (Ok St)

G Steveson (Minn)

Last edited:
How does the seeding committee differentiate a wrestler who carries a loss via bumping up vs in his weight class? Is it treated like an all star match?

How does the seeding committee differentiate a wrestler who carries a loss via bumping up vs in his weight class? Is it treated like an all star match?
All-Star match counts more. Shouldn't count at all, but evidence is that it does. The Rivera loss will not affect anything except his Most Dominant Wrestler calculation, and he wasn't that near the top anyway.

Reactions: pish69 and hlstone
I don;t remember a single Hall match where I thought he was in danger of losing, including against Valencia.

Hall is a magician for sure, but to be completely honest, I don't like any of our big 4 in one point or less matches late in the 3rd.

Do I think they will pull it out every time, of course! That said, bad things can happen if you let a lesser opponent stay close - it's true in any sport.

Both Hall and VJ can generate some pucker factor from time to time.

I don;t remember a single Hall match where I thought he was in danger of losing, including against Valencia.

Labriola (sp?) might come to mind but did I “thought” he would lose- probably not. He tends to carry a couple matches late and then pulls it out. Winners do and that was the point. Did I “think” AA would lose that bout and I would say no but it was tighter than I would like it. He’s also above 70% bonus this year so it was definitely his closest outside Lugo.

Got to see Brucki up close today, his build reminds me of Macintosh, enormous and compact but improbably flexible enough to wrestle. Destroyed Columbia's 197. Interesting that Nate Jackson is now an assistant at Princeton, as I imagine he's been tasked with Brucki's development (and is one of the two people to have beaten Nickal as a starter).

Ashnault should have taken a loss and been removed from the ranks of the undefeated. Both wrestlers were completely out of bounds when the ref gave Ashnault a very quick two swipes for back points. Indiana should have challenged. Ashnault wins 8-7 but should not have been given back points. Slow the video down (if you can access it) and stop it just prior to when back points are given.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6263907-rutgers-vs-indiana-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6354869&limit=60

Ashnault should have taken a loss and been removed from the ranks of the undefeated. Both wrestlers were completely out of bounds when the ref gave Ashnault a very quick two swipes for back points. Indiana should have challenged. Ashnault wins 8-7 but should not have been given back points. Slow the video down (if you can access it) and stop it just prior to when back points are given.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6263907-rutgers-vs-indiana-2019-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6354869&limit=60
Stop the video at the 7:28 and 7:29 mark of the recorded match. Both physically out and also out of the vertical and virtual cylinder at the edge of the mat. Ashnault rolled him back in. The other ref should have been watching that while the head ref looked for back points.

Ashnault with the asterisk (*) win to stay "undefeated".

Stop the video at the 7:28 and 7:29 mark of the recorded match. Both physically out and also out of the vertical and virtual cylinder at the edge of the mat. Ashnault rolled him back in. The other ref should have been watching that while the head ref looked for back points.

Ashnault with the asterisk (*) win to stay "undefeated".

Agreed. They were out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT